FTX Freeware availability suspended

John Venema

For one did not think "The beach follies" are a big deal!

Seen worse painted on the side of planes in these fourms, but its not my call, just saying what I think of it all!

Brings me back to the day of duke nuke 3D and those pictures.. that are a lot worse than Marks..... and you didn't have to go "look" for them!

Sad to see you go Mark!  but will catch up in the VOZ fourms.

Have a Beer and a chat with the Orbx team in a few weeks once all the dust settles at the Nudiebar in Byron Bay ! ;D

This is ridiculous:

Firstly, Orbx is accountable for the editorial content of the freeware so if the content contravenes Orbx policy it should never of been released.

Secondly, how hard could it be to remove the offending files and let mark offer them as Easter eggs in a separate package through VOZ or the like?

FTX is a revolutionary product no question but it is the work of the dedicated freeware developers that makes this product come to life. Just because some of Marks content may be seen as inappropriate for general consumption to completely remove all of it seems to me to be a poor decision.

The whole concept of being able to fly VFR using visual references to places without navigational aids is why I and many like me have invested in this product.

Both parties please review your decisions and try and come to a compromise that doesn’t mean having to separately releasing your work.

Surely Marks easter eggs could provide another offshoot to the scenery by adding a new concept like virtual points of interest or Aus Virtual Tours thus allowing developers the freedom to place objects anywhere with what ever content for the punters to discover. Even if it has to be hosted separate from the orbx banner.

John IMO Marks content is integral to the success of you r business and all effort should be made to accommodate. massage, encourage and coach all the freeware developers to empower them with the tools to freely express their personalities as well as work in the confines of a commercial enterprise.

Mark the offending content is but a fraction of the fantastic work you have provided for the community and for the sake of ½ a dozen pictures placed in the scenery which without would not lessen your fine contribution.

Your stand to completely remove your work is very disappointing for me and the wider community. Potentially millions of people all over the world could discover YOUR Australia under the marketing power of an organized company like ORBX. Exposure of the magnitude we have never seen before in the Australian Flight Sim community.

You are one of the few truly talented people in this field in Australia that can be proud to present our country to the world sim community and without your work being published in the only world widely recognised software available for Australia for FSX I fear your work will fade into obscurity thus cheapening the experience for millions of people all over the world.

Come on guys you made to the starting blocks, you even raced over a few of the hurdles, don’t let a little slip stop you from reaching the goal.

Just my 2cents worth, I hope I haven’t offended anyone. After all this is a forum and by definition a place to express ideas freely.

Cheers Buggerup.

::)I know lets send flowers to Mark from John and  Send flowers from John to Mark.....if that helps........or pehaps a few Scratchies(you know what I mean John)

In all serious the Easter Egg thing sounds a good idear....... to much effort from you both to spit up !

Please Please  !

We supporters think you folks are still the A team ....Together !

After reading everything here, I still don't get it.

Is it a problem to release a "G" version of Mark's work in the future *and* his original true designs which he wishes on another server elsewhere.

That way at least he could have access to pre-builds for testing etc..

All that would have to be done is for Mark (or any future builder) to submit the work to Orbx for "G" approval first then go on and add any "extras" and host on the other server away from Obyx.

Just my say for what it's worth.

Dave

For what it is worth it's hugely disappointing to me and is probably due to my ham-fisted management style more than anything else.

I'll tell you what. Let me contact Mark and I will see if we can reconcile our differences and try to see eye to eye over what may be minor content issues, but stilll important to Orbx. I'll keep you all posted.

I barely ever post here, but check these forums almost every day..

What has happened is a tragedy, and hearing what John has just said gives me hope..

For the whole community's sake, and for the sake of the GREAT partnership these two developments have created, I too hope a compromise can be reached.

Please take your time and sort things out.

Great news John. And tell Mark that the WHOLE sim network are behind BOTH of you. You both need to know that we can never thank you enought, both of you, for the pleasure our hobby brings to us all.

Mark, we've never met - but as I am sure you are reading these posts - thank you. I cannot fly anymore (bad hearing - happens when you get old) - but your work allows me to soar once again and fly VFR over familar tracks like I used to in real life.

If there is any way you can resolve your differences - please - on behalf of us all .........

Markwlee and FTX Freeware, like bacon and eggs, just belong together...

It would be a shame to see them seperated.  Both John and Mark, you have the community's support...  Whatever it takes guys, I urge a reconcilliation of differences and return to what was a very good thing.

All the best to you both.

yup time to fix it properly..misunderstandings between parties happen frequently but afterwards it often creates a stronger bond between all. (we've all been there)

Good for you John admitting a personal part of the incident..I wish more "higher" up's would do such, it shows a real care for your project and everyone involved. (Something you just wouldn't see from the huge companies.)

all the best, and thanks for the "true" community spirit in this room.

We DO care (my flight log says so!)  ;)

Dave

Anybody for a pair of g-strings???  And a t-shirt???

They may still be around on the beach somwhere??javascript

Hope you guys can work it out as your work is trully fantastic and can show the world what the Australian spirit is really like!!!javascript :voi

All the best and God bless

javascript :void(0);

Alfred

Like the other posters in this thread, I greatly appreciate the work Mark has done to enhance my flight simming experience.

However, I do not appreciate the 'questionable' content at some of the airfields. I often fly with my young grandson on my knee and I would not like to find that particular content by accident when doing that.

Mark has a right to design his scenery whatever way he chooses however when he offers that scenery to the world at large, he has an obligation to inform all that there may be some aspects of that scenery which may offend. John is right to consider the makeup of his entire market. After all, we live in an age where as little as one person can stuff up a business with the lodgement of what most would consider is an obscure and petty complaint

Mark, you are a very talented scenery designer and I want to continue to use and appreciate your work, preferably via the present Orbx arrangement. If I have to download via another source and then look for areas that may need censoring, then I may not bother.

I agree with buggerup. Why not continue to produce airfields that can be rated 'G' for Orbx and produce the extras as a separate 'Easter Egg' download through VOZ. I believe there would be limited appeal for these files, however this would be an ideal way to test the market so to speak.

Please guys, sort out a compromise, please.

Graham

Yes please, sort this out guys...

This stuff is the best flight scenery that has ever been made, i have had everything sim since fs4 & fs5 back in the ninetys. For want of better works, we Aussies should stick together and show the rest of the world how it's done...

This is to good to let go over so little...

:-*

Wow, this forum just blow's me away!

The comradery is something I haven't seen for a long time.

I fully concur with nearly all of the comments here.

I was one of the lucky ones to have downloaded early and have been enjoying the freeware for a while.

I must admit the extra little "easter eggs", I found to be a treat! I was so looking forward to seeing the falling parachutist and I believe I discovered biggles with a broken leg at Dunwich (see Dunwich Dribble in community screenshots) chatting up a young woman.

The stuff at Tyagarah would not have offended me, but I respect all of the opinions and can see how it might have for others.

I'm also glad to see that John and Mark can work something out and think of us all first, putting aside their own considerations.

That is the mark of a couple of "smart, dedicated professionals".

Thanx Guys!

Frank

Fingers crossed that these differences are sorted out and that such a successful partnership can continue. It would certainly be disappointing to let such a small issue get in the way of such a hugely successful and quality product.

There have been a lot of phone calls, PMs and emails today, and indeed mostly of support and trying to find a solution.

The core Orbx staff have discussed the whole freeware side of the company and we are making some proposals being discussed which will change the way the freeware model is implemented which will see it move in a different more independant direction.

You can appreciate that the core Orbx team are working incredibly long hours with many projects and sub-projects to manage concurrently. We feel that the steps which will be proposed will allow the freeware to flourish as a more indepedent team of developers and allow the core team to focus on the the payware region packs, payware airports and other scenery addons.

I would like to congratulate all participants in this thread on their civility, professional and polite conduct and not seeing any flame wars emerge. It truly is encouraging to see a community of users who can behave in such a considerate manner. Thank you all very much.

Please allow me to close this thread and I will be posting some news over the coming days which will be encouraging to all of your and also provide a strong and secure future for freeware authored for the Orbx FTX platform.

Thanks all again for your support!

Archived