Introducing PeopleFlow, the new Orbx animated people tech

Hello all,

Just to put you in the picture.

I originally came up with the concept of the static and animated people and aircraft and sketched out what I wanted to achieve. The whole idea is to make our detailed scenery come 'alive'. This came about after I did my video blog walking with BOB through Darrington, which was cool, but the town seemed like a ghost town.

I then had to find an Orbx team member to realise my vision for this, so I decided to approach Russ, who is undoubtedly one of our most talented modelers and texture artists. Well of course what he's come up with has exceeded anything I had pictured in my mind.

So the original contract we drew up and agreed upon only extends to the previously shown static airliners, people, and now these animated models. I now need to pay Russ for his hard work, and I can assure you it's been worth every single cent!  I will now do a video blog BOB walkthrough of KORS with the place buzzing with people - it will be a hoot!

What I will do however, is now discuss taking the concept further with Russ and we'll look into:

- Passengers walking from terminal to apron to stairs to aircraft in a loop (they would have only 60 seconds to make the journey so it will be tricky, but do-able), i.e. they will begin from inside the terminal and end inside the aircraft, so it will rely on very careful positioning of static aircraft and having an open door and a partial interior so they can disappear into the cabin. On the terminal side, it will rely on an open door or worst case, the passengers will simply walk through the terminal wall/door, probably something we can live with, given the contraints we have :)

- Lolipop marshallers that are somehow conditionally triggered by approaching aircraft

- Airside maintenance engineering and refuelers working underneath and around the static airliner library

- Moving airside vehicles with animated ground staff

- More 'rural' animations like:

- Bush flying mechanics working on Piper Cubs inside a hangar (with speech and fx attached)

- Guy sitting on a stool casting a fishing line

- Two old guys sitting under a porch reading a newspaper or whittling wood

- Young lovers in a welcome or farewell embrace at the FBO

etc etc.

You also need to realise we have released our 'ObjectFlow' technology, meaning any of these animated people can be automatically triggered to only appear at certain times of the day etc. Slowly but surely we're extending the functionality of FSX to make it do things it really was not meant to do :)

However, that 'Stage 2' of the project I'll leave until later in 2011 since Russ is itching to make a small airfield between now and mid-Jan before he embarks on PAKT.

Sounds good JV. Just a maybe do-able piont , if you have people walking around the towns or shopping precints can you make sure they cross the road at traffic lights and obey the laws . I dont want to kill too many of them as Im driving around otherwise Russ might kill me !  :(

very good animation and an immersive addon on the airports..To respect our fps it will be possible to activate and desactivate them in flight??? we will be land saving fps and smooth and when we will go on the taxyway we will able to activate or desactivate them..it s an idea

have a good day

very good animation and an immersive addon on the airports..To respect our fps it will be possible to activate and desactivate them in flight??? we will be land saving fps and smooth and when we will go on the taxyway we will able to activate or desactivate them..it s an idea

have a good day

I am sure they will be controlable in the FTX control panel. ;)

Well I have just littered KORS with these critters and there's zero FPS impact, but it's seriously cool to taxi to a parking spot seeing the place buzzing with people!

I bet thats going to be cool! Any chance of a video?

Would be nice to have an algorithm whereby they stop and look up when they hear an aircraft fly overhead. Be fun looking down to see people looking up.

I like this one! Another idea, having people standing at the fenclines and within the terminal buildings, waving at the plane/departing passengers

what ever the outcome I think as JV said to make the airports look more alive is great. I think ORBX just keep teasing us, but what a tease :) I am always impressed by what they come up with and good on ya Russ for your hard work.

Can't wait to see what is released in 2011 :)

yes it s a really advanced about flight sim story . it s the firts time someone has made that ( i thnk), ..life in fsx .. i think your ambition is greatest than we can think .

looking the video i can see an flight simultaor more a gta like . it s enought incredible that we can think the futur of flight simulator will be more interesting and polyvalent and whith aditional gameplay.

i think you re the best

Brilliant piece of modelling Russ. Great tech. Did have a thought as i was flying around northern BC the other day. How hard would it be to transfer the tech to something non-human. Eg. Moose, Bear or Caribou?....Imagine how much fun it would be to have to do a go-round on some far flung bush strip because a wandering herd of Boo were crossing the runway. Of course it would never happen with Elk, they're far too disciplined for that...but it would certainly be a buzz....

Something to ponder on.

Cheers

Martin C

Archived