NRM possibly causing CTD

Badger

[PRE-FILLED CONTENT] Before asking for support, please make sure you have entered your ordernumber in your signature. If you have not done this, you will not receive support until you have done so. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello,

Since I've installed NRM, I have been unable to complete a flight of more than five minutes without FSX crashing with a fatal error.  I initially thought it might be Air Hauler but I flew without it and the same happened.  The only flight I have managed is when I have unticked NRM from the scenery library. 

I therefore wonder whether I've got a bad installation/download and was hoping for some guidance as to how to go about uninstalling NRM.  Do I just need to just untick it and reinstall or is there something else I need to do to make sure it's unstalled properly before I try reinstalling.

Oops, forgot to mention that it crashes even when not flying in the area.  The flight I've been trying is from S86 - KORS, both of which are in PNW, although I was experiencing the same crashes when flying in NRM yesterday.

Many thanks for your help.

Badger

Is there a special module named in the event log of windows? Just asking because all scenery related stuff usually names the g3d.dll while any addon which might interfere sometimes shows itself there.

Maybe you can untick only one NRM subfolder after another (I have four) to find the culprit one.

Did you try to reinstall the package, just in case?

Hi CoolP,

Just tried a few flights with and without NRM and the flights with NRM crahed wheeras the others didn't.

That's a good plan unticking one at a time.  I'll give that a go next.

Not sure where the windows event log is so if you could point me in the right direction, I'll have a look.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Badger

Hmmmm...just unticked all 4 and reticked them in the scenery library and it seems to be working OK for now.  I'm using the Quest Kodiak instead of the C185, but that shouldn't make any differnce as I use them both regularly.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted if it happens again.

Badger

Hi Badger,

in the Windows Start menu search box, type "Event" and it should bring up the Event Viewer. Click on it to load it. In the left submenu select Windows Logs and then click on Application. A long list of event logs should appear in the central window. You can sort by different categories or just scroll down looking for red-flagged Application Errors and the appropriate time stamp. Click on a listed event and it will provide details on the faulting application (in this case FSX.exe) and a module, usually some .dll file.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger,

These are three of the errors in the log.  There are others but they're all pretty much the same.  Would this help to identify the offending file?:

Faulting application FSX.exe, version 10.0.61472.0, time stamp 0x475e17d3, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03824, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000ab0bf, process id 0xc74, application start time 0x01cb93dd9416e0e9.

Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61472.0, time stamp 0x475e17d3, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03824, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00036db7, process id 0x84, application start time 0x01cb93d85f994b59.

Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61472.0, time stamp 0x475e17d3, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03824, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000ab0bf, process id 0xeac, application start time 0x01cb93d6c41a2f69.

I also have this one:

The program FSX.exe version 10.0.61472.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 524 Start Time: 01cb93b9964a06d1 Termination Time: 0

Thanks for your help.

Badger

I have just been trying out NRM (in the Quest Kodiak) and after about 30 mins had a CTD with the offending module being ntdll.dll as also reported in the above post - never had one of those before in fact hardly any FSX CTDs at all.  At the time I was making some adjustments to the Plan-G window so not sure if that had anything to do with it.  My system is an i7 960 @ 3.3 nvidia 470 (factory OC) win7 64.

Bruceb

Just flew from CYVK to 89WA.  I got to within 35 miles of 89WA (so I'd been flying about an hour) and the following happened in the event log:

Faulting application FSX.exe, version 10.0.61472.0, time stamp 0x475e17d3, faulting module g3d.dll, version 10.0.61472.0, time stamp 0x475e180c, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000b50df, process id 0x9b0, application start time 0x01cb948a989ce4cb.

It appears to be the g3d.dll message that CoolP alluded to in an earlier message.  Having flown about 150 miles over NRM, I thought I was going to be OK but it seems to have happened after I'd left the NRM region and got back to PNW.  It's really strange as I never had a CTD until I installed NRM but I can't understand why it would crash when I've left the region.

Badger

It appears to be the g3d.dll message that CoolP alluded to in an earlier message.

Sadly, one has to see this "g3d.dll" message as a very generic one. The best and most precise thing you could say about this would be "something is wrong" and this might get stretched to "a scenery thing is going wrong".

This very vague information arises from the fact that this .dll isn't the real culprit here but the one module which fails if some scenery stuff fails or interferes before.

You can also trigger those messages with e. g. the bufferpools tweak set at too tight values or general instabilities of your system.

I've found the scenery related error to be the most common one on stable systems. I was just asking you about the event log because it could have been that some more precise message would have come out of it. Sadly, this wasn't the case here.

While NRM itself could trigger this CTD of yours, we should be aware that a combination of scenery files leads to problems in some cases.

In another thread there were people using Earth Simulations stuff together with PNW and had crashes. Although those two areas are well apart, they seemed to interfere somehow. You can hardly blame one or the other dev for it as you will understand.

So if you have one of the 4 folders of NRM active at a time you could at least say which one of them triggers the CTD.

One then has to look for other scenery products which could interfere. It's always a good tip to disable e. g. all European sceneries while flying in the NRM area. You don't need them there and all they cause is loading times to rise.

So after checking through those 4 NRM folders, you should also look for some scenery products which can be disabled if you go NRM or American/Canadian only for example. This will lead to a lean and fast operation and maybe to some CTD free too.

If you still get CTDs, coordinates would be fine. You can connect some external app like Plan-G (which is free) or Flightsim Commander and look up your coordinates there to help the devs locate the problem.

While FSX usually crashes and doesn't give you an opportunity to read out the exact location, those external tools then "freeze" and still show your last location. Take a screenshot and post it here if this happens.

Thanks CoolP.

I have UTX Europe installed but that's already disabled so I've just been through and disabled the other scenery too.

Here's a question though.  I have 'North America' ticked in the FTX Control Panel but note in the Scenery Library that all the FTXAU scenery files are still ticked. Is that normal?

Badger

Hi guys,

sorry to hear about the continuing issues.

As CoolP says the best way to find out whether the issue is specific to NRM or an interaction with other add-ons is to temporarily deactivate the latter in the scenery library menu. I'd first focus on those that spatially overlap including any airport adjustments that are part of third-party AI traffic programs.

Also, please make sure that FTX Central is Build1024; if it states Build 1023 please install the latest ORBX library build posted yesterday.

Badger, indeed all FTX scenery library entries are always ticked when FTX Central is set to either Australia or North America. This is as it should be.

Cheers, Holger

OK, similar flight, similar result but with a different error message in the event log.

So I disabled all add on scenery (including My Traffic X) and flew from CBT6 to CAP5.  I got the the edge of the mountains into PNW again, about 50 miles from CAP5 when the guages froze and the PC crashed.

Here's the message this time:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

I had all 4 parts of the NRM scenery enabled this time so next time I will try enabling just one file.

Badger

Hmmm ... I just tried the same flight without any of the NRM scenery enabled and FSX crashed at almost exactly the same spot as last time with the ntdll.dll message.  God only knows what's causing this all of a sudden.

I might try a full uninstallation of NRM tomorrow and see if I get back to normal, but for now, it's time for bed.

Cheers

Badger

Hmmm ... I just tried the same flight without any of the NRM scenery enabled and FSX crashed at almost exactly the same spot as last time with the ntdll.dll message.  God only knows what's causing this all of a sudden.

I might try a full uninstallation of NRM tomorrow and see if I get back to normal, but for now, it's time for bed.

Cheers

Badger

I'm not a scenery guy but sounds like a corrupt bgl.

jja

Hi guys,

just tried CAV4 here with a number of different combinations of add-ons (UTX/FSGenesis) and AI (default/WOAI/MyTraffic) and in summer and winter but can't get it to crash.

What date/time and aircraft are you using? Have you tried different startup situations?

Also, do a Windows search for any .bgl files with "CAV4" as part of their name. There should only be those in ORBX/FTX folders plus "ADE_FTX_NRM_CAV4_elevation_adjustment.BGL" in \Scenery\World\scenery.

Cheers, Holger

Hi guys,

just tried CAV4 here with a number of different combinations of add-ons (UTX/FSGenesis) and AI (default/WOAI/MyTraffic) and in summer and winter but can't get it to crash.

What date/time and aircraft are you using? Have you tried different startup situations?

Also, do a Windows search for any .bgl files with "CAV4" as part of their name. There should only be those in ORBX/FTX folders plus "ADE_FTX_NRM_CAV4_elevation_adjustment.BGL" in \Scenery\World\scenery.

Cheers, Holger

I have UTX Canada also that could be a possible factor.

jja

Hi there,

note where I state "(UTX/FSGenesis)" above. I tested with all UTX titles enabled and disabled.

Cheers, Holger

SceneryTech also.  This stuff is out of my league.  Also-will much appreciate an ORBX PAJN! 

jja

Happy to say that I have been able to fly two flights successfully that previously were crashed to the desktop.  I flew one in daylight and one in nightime, both successfully.  This was after I did two things.  I disabled the SceneryTech Landclass for North America, and I ran ORBX Central, cycling the active area between North America and FSX Default, then back again to North America. 

Happy to say that I have been able to fly two flights successfully that previously were crashed to the desktop.  I flew one in daylight and one in nightime, both successfully.  This was after I did two things.  I disabled the SceneryTech Landclass for North America, and I ran ORBX Central, cycling the active area between North America and FSX Default, then back again to North America.

Something to try (disabling ST).

Thanks

jja

For what its worth I don't get a CTD at CAV4. 

Though last time I tried I still got a CTD where I mentioned in my thread.  There's got to be something causing these crashes.

When I selected go to airport (CAV4) yesterday no errors.  Pretty cool place.

jja

• 2 weeks later...

Similar problems have been reported in the German forum on the following routes:

- Valemount to Golden

- Chilliwack to Princeton

- Oliver north till Penticton

I checked these routes yesterday with not a single CTD. I'm using FSX with AccPack on W7 64bit and the latest nvidia driver.

What could be the reason for the problems is that FSX got problems with a w7 64bit file called "uiautomationcore.dll" This file is known to cause very frequently CTDs. The solution can be to use theVista 64bit version. You can find the file here and copy it to your FSX directory.

Hi Guys,

Its amazing that everyone is complaining about CTD's all of a sudden.......

Whether this is related or not I do not know BUT, my CTD started after installing the 003a patch for PNW. Never had it before.... only bad blurring of textures. (see my other post)

I hope this can be resolved soon, I miss the scenery as I have just disabled the FTX NA for now otherwise I cannot fly in the area.

Nico

OK, so I've tried taking off from 65S and get as far as taxiing to runway 2 and everytime I get a CTD.  I've disabled each of the 4 scenery objects one at a time and it still happens.  I can't try it with all 4 disabled as the elevation at the airport is all wrong (so there must beanother FTX file that's affecting that I suppose).

The only time I can safely fly successfully in the NRM region is by disabling the North America scenery from FTX Central first.  Then I have no problems.  I could fly the othe regions without problem previously and have not had a CTD since I installed NRM now they happen every flight.  It's not just at one place but there seems to be key places with the region that cause this. 

I've experienced them taxiing at 65S, along the west side of the scenery where it meets PNW and a couple of other places too.  I have managed a few flights where I haven't experienced CTD's but whenever I venture into an area where I experience CTD's, it happens in the same place each time.

I'm hoping that the update will help resolve this issue but in the meantime I'm going to have to uninstal PNW as I can't keep getting these CTDs.

Badger

I have CTD's when I approach the Seattle area, both the from north and from the south. I suspect this started to happen after I installed the mentioned patch. I never experience anomalies anywhere else, not even Melbourne or Brisbane

Hello,

I just bought and installed NRM Thursday 12/30/2010 and did a flight from Concrete to Missoula Mt. with no problems, then today I tried from Missouls Mt. to CZXS Prince George and I got the Fatal Error about 45mins. into the flight just accross the US Canada border. I don't have any traffic apps installed, I installed the PNW patch after installing KORS, I do have FSGenisis installed on my system, version 1 Canada version 2 NA. Error fault is Ntdll.dll

Rocckitglider  8)

Back from holiday and looks like this is still affecting a number of people.

Not sure if this is any help, but using appcrashview this is the crash report from my last CTD:

Version=1

EventType=BEX

EventTime=129383544685692482

ReportType=2

Consent=1

UploadTime=129383544719012482

Response.BucketId=158132591

Response.BucketTable=5

Response.type=4

Sig[0].Name=アプリケーション名

Sig[0].Value=fsx.exe

Sig[1].Name=アプリケーションのバージョン

Sig[1].Value=10.0.61637.0

Sig[2].Name=アプリケーションのタイムスタンプ

Sig[2].Value=46fadb14

Sig[3].Name=障害モジュールの名前

Sig[3].Value=StackHash_fd00

Sig[4].Name=障害モジュールのバージョン

Sig[4].Value=0.0.0.0

Sig[5].Name=障害モジュールのタイムスタンプ

Sig[5].Value=00000000

Sig[6].Name=例外オフセット

Sig[6].Value=00000000

Sig[7].Name=例外コード

Sig[7].Value=c0000005

Sig[8].Name=例外データ

Sig[8].Value=00000008

DynamicSig[1].Name=OS バージョン

DynamicSig[1].Value=6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

DynamicSig[2].Name=ロケール ID

DynamicSig[2].Value=1041

DynamicSig[22].Name=追加情報 1

DynamicSig[22].Value=fd00

DynamicSig[23].Name=追加情報 2

DynamicSig[23].Value=ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

DynamicSig[24].Name=追加情報 3

DynamicSig[24].Value=fd00

DynamicSig[25].Name=追加情報 4

DynamicSig[25].Value=ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

UI[2]=D:\Program Files (x86)\fsx.exe

UI[3]=Microsoft Flight Simulator® は動作を停止しました

UI[4]=問題の解決策をオンラインで確認できます。

UI[5]=オンラインで解決策を確認してプログラムを終了します

UI[6]=オンラインで解決策を後で確認してプログラムを終了します

UI[7]=プログラムを終了します

State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1

State[0].Value=1

State[1].Key=DataRequest

State[1].Value=Bucket=158132591/nBucketTable=5/nResponse=1/n

FriendlyEventName=動作が停止しました

ConsentKey=BEX

AppName=Microsoft Flight Simulator®

AppPath=D:\Program Files (x86)\fsx.exe

Sorry, using Japanese Vista so let me know if you want any line in particular translated.

Archived