KORS - Corrupted/ starting location and flashing runway

JimmiG

Hi. I just installed the KORS package and immediately noticed that something was wrong. When I select KORS as my starting location, the only option was "active runway", no option for e.g. "GA Parking" or similar.

After taking off, I noticed this area of a strange, black texture:

Posted Image

If you take off to the north from KORS and then turn left, it's the narrow cape on you left.

Another problem is that if I overfly the airport at about 1500 feet, I get these spots of a lighter texture on top of the runway and taxiways:

Posted Image

You can't tell from the screenshot, but the spots flash and keep changing rapidly as you fly which is extremely distracting.

I'm assuming something went wrong during installation? I have no other scenery for the region apart from PNW, and the installer did not give me any error messages. I've installed PNW.003.

Hi,

the black area is part of the satellite image which lays completely in the shadow. I am afraid there's nothing i can do about.

When you see a flickering runway your terrain loading is way behind - means the mesh has not finished loading for the runway area due too high load on the system. Are you using a Dual Core or a Quad with Affinity Mask 14 ? What are your FPS in the area ?

I have a quad core Phenom II at 3.4 GHz and a Geforce 460GTX 1GB. I'm not sure it's because the loading is behind - I never have any problems with blurries or scenery loading falling behind normally, even when using other FTX airports.

Here, I started at KORS, and then just slewed straight upwards. At 1360ft, it looks fine:

Posted Image

Then at 2800ft, the runway starts flickering:

Posted Image

It should be noted that it only happens at a certain altitude between maybe 2000 and 3500 feet (as long as I'm static in slew mode, the spots are also static). The altitude at which the flickers are triggered seems to vary with the distance from the airport. The flickers don't go away even if I pause the sim for several minutes to let it "catch up".

Hi Jimmy

Thank you for your report. I can't comment on the start location problem (there should be several starting gates and parkings).

The flashing of the runway/apron can happen if you zoom in to the (invisible) reference point (which is situated about in the middle of the runway) of the custom ground poly while you are flying an overhead approach or depart. This is because the ground poly changes to a lower level LOD. We can't do anything about this, this is FSX. As my colleague Heiko said, it  also can happen if the mesh is still keeping up with loading and the terrain is not flat yet (depending on your scenery/autogen settings, addon aircraft and your hardware).

So for most circling and approaches/departures using a zoom level of 30-50% (depending on your screen resolution) you should be fine.

Cheers

When I have the issue with just the active runway showing up in the box, I do this. Go to your main menu location box, Open, select Orcas and then say OK, after you get back to the main window click on location again and go down to were you chose the runway and click it.  Now you will see all the other locations. Chose the one you want and hit okay Now you can save the flight with this location as your default.

This works for me

Josh

Thanks Josh, that "trick" worked.

I'll fly another couple of times and see how distracting the flashing textures are and see if I can live with them. It was certainly very distracting the first time. Never seen this behavior before with FSX in DX9 mode, regardless of which add-ons I've used, so I'm not sure it's entirely the fault of FSX...?

The picture above (2800 ft.) are you slewing up with F4 ? Which zoom level are you using ? Please do me a favor - when the flicker occurs open your scenery library and just click o.k.. This will reload the situation. Does it show correct then ?

TBH i can provoke the flicker too, but i have to try hard by not giving the terrain engine enough time to keep up...

I normally use maybe 0.8 zoom, but it varies. I did some experiments and found that at about 0.7 zoom, the flickers are not as bad, and at 0.6-0.5 zoom, they're virtually eliminated. Remember that they are only visible at certain altitudes/angles from the airport. They're not as bothersome when actually flying, since I'm not normally at the particular combination of altitude and angle to the runway that seems to trigger the flickers.

The flickers remained after I opened the scenery library and clicked OK. There was a lengthy re-loading of the flight, but afterwards, the scene looked exactly the same as before.

• 4 months later...

Yes, that's what I've expected  :).

The zoom level, the angle and the distance to the object,  is producing the LOD level change, that's why.

Cheers

Hi,

So what does this all mean??? KORS is the ONLY airport that is doing this ie I am refering to the flickering runway issue...

Papa

Archived