REX

Turnip

Yeah, am looking forward to REX too, but beware the "coming very soon" vibes.

I bought FEX last year with the promise of a weather engine and other features in "the not too distant future". The last update that comes up is Dec 07, and since then it has gone very quiet. Six months! The least they could do is let us know the reasons for delay.  :(

I did the same with Horizon's UK texture packs. Year and a half wait for the nightlighting that was coming soon.

So looks like I will end up buying REX to get my weather engine, and dump FEX. But I will be ensuring that it is fully working - not with add-ons to be "coming soon".

To be quite honest, I've never quite understood FEX. Thats why I am keen to try REX - to see if it makes sense. :-\

In FEX you get to replace textures for sky, clouds, water and water animation (if I remember rightly). Replacing all four is a "theme". But what I dont get is why you cant replace more than four at a time. For example, if I decide to do a flight from Cairns to Hobart, so I boot up FEX and set a very nice coral reef water texture, and skies and clouds to match Queensland's sunny style. I am assuming that those same textures are not going to be found when I arrive at Hobart too, because that would be daft as Hobart's waters, sky etc is very different, and presumably a different landclass.

So does that mean if I do a longer flight between two areas of different water/sky types, I can only change one of them?

I dont know, I never quite got it, and the manual doesnt explain how it works just how to change stuff. If anyone else gets it, I'd sure love to know what you know....

Hi there,

I can assure you (from the horses mouth ;)) that REX is not too far away.

As for FSWC it is also very near completion. Ashton is currently working on finishing the installer. After that we will enter the beta stage (since its quite a simple program the beta stage shouldn't take too long). We are posting regular updates and screenshots on Flightsimworld.com and also on our own website:

www.fswaterconfigurator.com

Cheers

Paul

Thats a good point pwheeler, but I am only 14 flight hours in training. So I've never pushed it that far (I always keep the airport in distance).

Would be interesting to see if Rex changes that.

As far as REX and FEX and all the other add-ons go, here's the rub. I rebuilt my system, have clean installs of a couple of planes, etc. I am hoping to continue this trend and not cram a bunch of stuff into FSX and clog it up. In other words, I don't want to get something, find out I don't like it then uninstall it. After doing that, you never really know what you've got floating around inside FSX that may be slowing the sim down.

I stayed away from FEX because I heard REX and FSWC was coming out. I stayed away from all other building/land upgrades after I saw FTX. If REX and FSWC are as good as FTX, then I will have a clean sim with some killer add-ons that actually work.

I am waiting and watching this REX - FSWC deal with anticipation but will be leary to jump if a bunch of problems arise.  ;)

BTW: One thing I will be watching is performance. If these two add-ons flush the performance, I will turn my sites to something else.

beware the "coming very soon" vibes.

That's good advice.  There is a trend in the FS market where developers will sometimes deceptively have you believe release is right around the corner, becuase that's the best way to maintain interest, which fuels purchases.  I'm not saying that's that case with REX, as I don't beleive it is, but for example the Aerosoft F-16 has been advertised in both major FS magazines stating it is "Available as a download" for well over a year and a half, and that product has yet to be release despite the false advertising.  Well over a year ago Aerosoft was claiming the F-16 is only a couple months away, and its been like that ever since.  There is no way a developer can mistake 2 months of development time with 14 months, and thats not the only product Aerosoft has been deceptive about.  So in general beware the "coming very soon" vibes.

/rant

I have not as yet seen an official comment on a release date, "coming Soon" is very non descriptive, what does soon really mean. I think that there is no date mentioned means it has to be at least 3 months out, but thats just a wishfull guess.

I contacted Active sky developers HI-Fi and they havs said that ASX (active sky x) will work very well with FEX. So I'm going to get that, I have FEX already and like there clouds and water, all I need is a weather engine. And in 6 months if Rex is out there and it is as good as it claims I may update then.

cheers

I spoke with Tim on Friday and, while I can't give specifics, REX will definately be a lot (and I mean A LOT) sooner than six months.  ;)

Tim is just keeping his head down and his cards very close to his chest at the moment (understandably so considering all the politics that have been around recently).

Paul

Let me give an insight into development timelines. Having been in the software industry for over 26 years now I can safely say that trying to predict when a software project will be ready for release - or even go to beta - is a black science. There are many aspects to software development that are often beyond the control of the team leader or other stakeholders. Many times you may think something is working well only to find "showstopper" bugs or code that slipped through the testing cracks. Even something as simple as a key team member getting the flu or having to deal with family issues can set a project back a month or more. Sometimes you have contractors that fail to deliver on time. In the case of Orbx, we have about 15+ contractors spread all over the world, and even have modeling done through 3rd and 4th parties in Russia and India. When work is 2-3 steps removed from the project manager, yes - things can go wrong or be delayed. Nothing new about that since software development began in the 50's.

It is for this reason that Orbx will *never* pre-announce release dates; we almost got bitten badly with the AU BLUE release by announcing a release date a week before, and it was only through herculean efforts by the entire team and the international time zone buffer that saved us from embarrasment.

That said, if we announce something as "coming soon", it invariable means just that. It may been a week, two weeks or even up to a month; but generally I don't believe developers should be saying "coming soon" for a product that is still 12-18 months away. I agree with one poster that doing so simply leads to a loss of trust with customers.

Now with regard to REX; Tim and I chat almost daily and I can safely say that the beta is not far from commencing and that he has a real product , a real team of developers, and real content to give to testers, not just vapourware.

I won't go into the pros and cons of the various environment addons - it's really personal taste for each user as to which flavour appeals to them. The good thing is that in respect to environment, the FSX user is going to be spoilt for choice and should even be able to mix and match to create their ultimate environment setup. I see that as a good.

For anyone who insists on complaining about software taking too long to come to market, I suggest that perhaps you're taking your hobby a little too seriously and you need to just enjoy flying with the scenery/aircraft/airports/environment that are available *today*, rather than wasting a lot of energy and emotion on forum posts which berate developers about supposed broken promises.

The FS community has never had it better than today, in terms of the pure quality of the flight sim experience. Remember, the better a product ends up being, the longer it took to develop. Anything created in a rush is usually unfinished, or below par in terms of quality.

Hmmmm  Seems I may have struck a nerve with this post.  hehe

The way I see this is that when FSX was released, all the hardware out there couldn't make it run smooth. Albeit the way it was written is part of the problem as it is too CPU hungry and doesn't adequetly (sp) use the GPU.

Now that the CPUs have increased in power, the up and coming Nahalem CPU, the increase in video card power and the RAM speed increases, FSX may just start to come into its own. With the release of add-ons like FTX, REX and FSWC NOW! I don't think the timimg could be better.

Instead of dumping a "cursed at" flight sim for FS11, we now have the opportunity to de-worm the apple. I rebuilt my system and had to make a decision on FS9 or FSX. I chose FSX. I await the release of these new add-ons in the hopes that my decision wasn't a bad one.

Well said John. That puts everything into the correct context.  ;)

I would like to add one thing regarding FSWC. This product is freeware. Both Ashton and I are working on this in our free time. Ashton has school during the day (he's only 16) and I have my day job (Network Manager in a school) so not only are we at the mercy of traditional software development issues we have more fundamental time issues too.

I would like to reassure everyone that Ashton and I are working as hard as possible to get FSWC finished. It is very close. Ashton has now finished the installer and is now working on the uninstaller. After this we will enter beta testing and then, if all goes well, release. I would certainly expect us to release FSWC within the next month or so (unless we have a major bug come up), hopefully sooner.

Cheers

Paul  :)

"All good things come to he who waits"  8)

"Patience is a virtue"  :(

"Haste makes waste"  >:(

(some old sayings that I don't have a clue who said)

Blah, Blah, Blah!!

Whoever said all this, obviously didn't know anything about Flight Sim Addiction.

Frostip.. I hope I misunderstood your last post.. either that or all the stuff preceding it went right over your head.. Patience my friend, patience.. it's all worth the wait. Teecee.

Hi Teecee-

I'm sure the wait will be worth it.  I was poking fun at my "Instant Gratification Syndrome" self.

I think that being a Yank all these years has taught me some bad habits.

Take care

Lou

The level of commitment and expertise all of these people put to their enhancing of the flight sim experience is just fantastic.  I for one appreciate all the effort the various teams / developers / testers put into making FSX an even better experience.

Roll on the next addons...  :)

I have installed ASX and have found it to work very well with FEX, I will post some screenies after more testing, So I can fly real weather now. I will probably get the FEX upgrade when it is available and will also look at REX, upgrading software is all part of this great hobby, some addons get less use than others, So if a better add on arrives I will get it, in the meantime I'll enjoy what is available now. As John said the use of Coming soon needs to be used with discretion, maybe, "in developement" might be a better choice of words.

cheers

Archived