OK - Which 24 inch monitor??

mmglads

Having just upgraded the PC, I'm on the lookout for the final bit - the monitor. I have the space for a 24" monitor (I wonder why, in this metric age, do we still refer to inches? - just as well for this old ex-Pom :D) and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a suitable make. I'm edging towards the Dell, but there are so many out there - and at good prices now, as it's end of financial year. Any thoughts? - any you wouldn't touch with a barge pole? Also looking at the "bright pixel & "dead pixel" warranties. Cheers.

not sure if they make a 24 inch but I'm thrilled with my 22 inch Samsungs.

(I do work in the field and know they also make real nice larger  LCD's, hence the reason for my choice)

Dave

Like most technology these days there are few panel manufacturers. Most of the brands we see are just re-branding. The last three monitors I have purchased are:

Hanns-G 22 inch (1 year old)

Samsung Syncmaster 19 inch (2-3 years old)

CMC 17 inch (Very old :-))

They all still work perfectly.

The only question I have for a salesman is "what is the dead pixel warranty". Specifically, if I open the box and have dead pixels anywhere, not just in the middle of the screen  then I want a replacement. If they agree to that then I will purchase. Often they agree, sometimes they don't.

DELL is too expensive for me :-)

Steven.

Hi guys,

don't know if it's available in Australia but I just got me a 24" BenQ and I'm very happy with it. I went for something more expensive because I'm spending so much time in front of the monitor and the regular TN panels are just not that great.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19235&vpn=FP241W&manufacture=BENQ

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/benq_fp241vw/

http://lcdtech.no-ip.info/en/data/lcd.panels.in.monitors.htm

Cheers, Holger

The most out standing performer of all 24" as it stands today is the Dell 2408WFP both with movies and games and has all the bells and whistles. Don't fall into the trap of buying cheap when getting a monitor as this is one bit of hardware that many over look and even a crappy graphics card will still look good. You get 9800GTX on a crap monitor and there is nothing you can do to make that image look good your stuck with poor quality so invest in the best and you will be rewarded....................

don't get too caught up in refresh rates below 6ms human eye can't tell the difference at that point (so I've been told by both Sharp and Samsung reps)

look at something with a Faroudia chip set if possible.

let your eyes do the buying since even contrast ratios are not standardized between manufacturers.

again just my 2 cents.

Dave

p.s 95% of pixel problems occur right out of the box so don't worry much about that.

My monitor is a 24" and 6MS and I run some fast paced games and not ever have I seen ghosting so like I said anything below 8 and your on a winner and lets face it FSX is not fast paced by any stretch of the imagination not to mention I run all games at 1920x1200x32. dmrich28 brought up a point which is very important and that is contrast ratio don't accept anything below 1000:1 on the big screens and a viewing angle of less than 160 degrees but 178 degrees is what you want. If your thinking of buying a Dell just hold off until they give the coupon discount for the one you decide on you will save hundreds of bucks.

Make sure you test for DEAD PIXELS because one dead pixel and you will get a new one. To get the test program -----> HERE http://www.patel.com.au/index.html The program you need is "Monitor Test v1.2" It runs from the .exe

Be cautious if selecting 22" most are TN and are lower in quality seek out any S-IPS and also most 22" are 6bit colour and again seek out 8bit or above so if you can avoid 22".

This might help you out.....

VA Panel Technology

S-PVA and MVA panels are middle of the road panels. They offer better colour reproduction and wider viewing angles than TN panels, but have slower response times. They are very similar to S-IPS on paper. They also offer large viewing angles and good colour reproduction though not as good as S-IPS. The response times are generally worse than TN or S-IPS panels and there have been reports of a few monitors with VA panels that suffer from input lag so they may not be the best choice for gaming. S-PVA has the advantage of higher contrast ratios than the other panel types which leads to better black levels. The biggest disadvantage of S-PVA panels is colour shifting. Colour shifting is when the image from one angle changes or "shifts" when viewed from another angle. This bothers many users to the point they will not even consider buying an S-PVA panel while others don't even notice the colour shifts. Colour shifts also cause a loss of shadow detail in dark scenes when viewed directly from the centre. Prices on S-PVA panels are around the same or slightly cheaper than S-IPS panels but they are much easier to find as many manufacturers use S-PVA panels. Also almost all monitors in the popular 24" category use S-PVA panels.

TN Panel Technology

TN panels are the most widely used panel type as they are cheap and offer excellent response times, making them perfect for fast paced gaming. The response times of current TN panels range from 2ms to 5ms. However colour reproduction viewing angles and contrast ratios of TN panels are the worst of any LCD panel technology. Unlike most 8-bit S-IPS/S-PVA/MVA panels, TN panels are only 6-bit and unable to display the full 16.7 million colours available in 24-bit true colour. They can mimic the 16.7 million colours of 8-bit panels using a technique called dithering but the results are unimpressive. TN panels have become popular with the average user because they are very inexpensive. They are also the only panels currently being used in 22" wide-screen monitors a very popular size. Many of these 22" TN panels are around the same price or cheaper than other 20" monitors with different panel types so it is easy to see how how they gained popularity. After all the average user buys a monitor based on price and size.

Hi guys,

don't know if it's available in Australia but I just got me a 24" BenQ and I'm very happy with it. I went for something more expensive because I'm spending so much time in front of the monitor and the regular TN panels are just not that great.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19235&vpn=FP241W&manufacture=BENQ

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/benq_fp241vw/

http://lcdtech.no-ip.info/en/data/lcd.panels.in.monitors.htm

Cheers, Holger

Same one over here - same happy. My two Samsungs left and right are looking quiet dull against the Benq...

Fantastic!  ;D I knew that there would be lots of you with good opinions & advice, my thanks to all (so far - I'm sure there will be more) and this has really given me something to think about. We have stocktake sales here this weekend, so it's really good time to buy. I asked about dead pixels today at a couple of stores running the sales, but frankly, the sales people don't have a clue - just referring me to the individual manufacturer's specs, which is a bit of an insult when you're about to part with up to the best part of $800 AUD. When I left the UK in 2001, only Samsung & Dell ran sensible dead pixel policies, I thought there would be more now. Thanks especially to }SkOrPn--7 for the detailed run down on panel technology, that was an eye-opener. A friend of mine just bought a 22" Chimei monitor which is just awful, but only $300. So you pays yer money etc., etc...anyhow, this is ol' "square eyes" (did a fair bit of flying & researching as it was raining today) signing off for tonight. Thanks again! Malcolm.

mmglads your welcome I just hate seeing people get ripped off and lets face it most people do get ripped of because like you have already found out staff in a store wouldn't know jack about product ranges nor the specs. There only there to make a sale and how they do that is not my way of doing business. As you already found out also from your friends purchase and you can't blame them as everyone has budgets and when a wide screen monitor goes on sale for $250 buck they jump at it not understanding the tech behind why it's so cheap.

Never go cheap on a monitor nor a PSU (power supply unit) because many gamers bitch about poor frame rates and that can also come down to there PSU but for most price is the thing that wins in the end but in the long run they loose. A monitor is something that you look at for the duration your in front of it and shelling out the extra if that is possible and understanding what all the tech jargon is will give you many hours of viewing pleasure and less nightmares.

Good luck with what you end up with and as far as I know "Office Works" the company now stocks Dell products so pop on in and check out the model I mentioned if they have that line. (BTW I don't work in this industry so I gain nothing from it I just want you to have the best and the questions you asked answered with no BS attached.  ;D

I have the Dell 24 inch and it is great value for money. Just make sure you have a graphics card that can handle the native resolution of 1920 x 1200. It can be a problem with a big screen if it has a higher resolution than you can run your games, as picture quality may suffer. I've never had a problem with the Dell, as it scales pretty well, but I don't know about some of the other brands out there...

Cheers,

Noel.

Thanks, virtualwombat - it really has come down to either the Dell at $799 or the Benq at the same price. Once again, really appreciate all of the input, now just have to decide which! Looking at both tomorrow. I also have to check whether my Nvidia 8800 GT will run it at full resolution - I think it will. Cheers, Malcolm.

8ms is roughly equal to 120Hz in CRT terms. For flight sim it's all a moot point, coz no one is ever going to be running FSX at 120 fps.

I have a Benq 17" and a Chimei 22", both work great except the Chimei takes a while to display a picture when you first turn it on. The difference between brands is much more in the electronics supporting the panels rather than the panels themselves.

Thanks, virtualwombat - it really has come down to either the Dell at $799 or the Benq at the same price. Once again, really appreciate all of the input, now just have to decide which! Looking at both tomorrow. I also have to check whether my Nvidia 8800 GT will run it at full resolution - I think it will. Cheers, Malcolm.

Yep, I run an EVGA 8800 GT 512 MB card as well. It can handle the load...

Cheers,

Noel.

G'day mmglads - I've been simming for about five or six years and am on my fourth setup and still don't know much about computers, so when I got the TH2Go about a year ago I bought two extra Chimei 22" to go with the one I'd been running for a while without issues, and so far they have been reliable - no dead pixels and clear as a bell with good colour, and display quickly. It may be as rogueqd suggested - that the electronics supporting the panels plays a big role, although my modest setup is doing fine, with its strong point being the display.

Cheers

Hotspot  ;)

Thanks Hotspot - I've spent the last couple of days looking - you can't beat the evidence of your own eys - and found another contender! The HP W2408h looks very good in terms of visual contrast & has been reduced from a "stupid" $999 to a more reasonable $699. I'm looking at the reviews as I write this, very mixed - but from my perspective, I would be totally happy with it. Anyone got one of these? Has HDMI & speakers, so could double as a TV/FSX plaything in the caravan as well! ;D

mmglads this monitor bleeds light from the bottom of the screen and doesn't come with DVI so this means you have to go out and send $$$ on a DVI to HDMI cable if you want to run digital and lets face it if your not running digital then there is no point buying such an expensive monitor. It also lacks connection options than other monitors but that isn't a deal breaker. What is a deal breaker is the 12 months warranty as many others offer 3 years so take all the above on-board once again. In my opinion wait for the coupon deals for a Dell and look right now $799 http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/30lcd?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs $100 bucks more and your getting Royce model delivered..............

At the end of the day it's your choice but not many can lash out on such an expensive purchase and your there don't so in my opinion keep going with a few extra $$$ to get the best.  ;D

BTW it's a TN Panel with the reflective glare so re-read my section above to bring back the memories of good advice because it is a TN Panel it should be even cheaper so be careful....  ;)

Don't be sucked into the speakers that's a gimmick while ok for the average most serious gamers or music nuts will spit the dummy at them.

Arrghhh!! I know, I know, but is was just that I looked at the monitor & thought Wow! Glossy! Cool lights etc. etc.. (sad old b....r). In the meantime, I telephoned Dell to get a "best price" - well, you can only try & it worked! I have a price confirmed at $720 delivered, so that's what I'm going to do - it's just a big outlay.

I'll just say, avoid the Apple 23" Cinema display.

Firstly, Apple's dead pixel policy sucks, I've never seen an Apple monitor which has been repaired that didn't come back with more dead pixels then it started with.

Secondly, it doesn't support some really low resolutions, so you cant access the bios or boot menu on some video cards.

I was actually considering selling this and getting a Dell. Just make sure you get a matte one, unless you sim in the dark (like I do or my trackIR sometimes does weird stuff), in which case, it may look slightly better with a glossy display.

And don't let the morons selling you displays to show you a cartoon. They often do that to make the monitors seem better

• 4 weeks later...

mmglads,

I imagine you have already bought your new monitor but having been in that same 'boat' myself until last week I can thoroughly recommend the BenQ V2400W Widescreen LCD.  Frankly, coming up from a Samsung 19", the difference is astounding. BenQ have a no dead pixel and 3 year warranty and the V2400W is the nicest looking monitor I have ever seen in terms of its design (I believe it has won a red dot design award?). I bought mine here in Aussie for $480 and that price has probably already dropped. Go to:

http://www.benq.com.au/products/LCD/?product=1313

It's definitely worth a look and there are several reviews available via Google or, more particularly, in Aussie on the Whirlpool forums (detailed, not just user opinions). It doesn't matter what monitor you look at, there are always some who say it is great and some who say it isn't. The trick seems to be in finding an expert view and using that information to sway any vote. Anyway, go to:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=7

Paul

Been using the Dell 24FPW monitor for 2+ years now without a hiccup. They were $1400 new back then, but very keenly priced these days. Not sure if Dell still use the same internals, but the image quality of the 24FPW is stunning to say the least; about as good as their new laptop screens but in a larger format.

Sorry everyone! Running a 5-day training course at the moment so much for retirement!), so didn't pick up the post. I purchased the Dell 2408WFP & am over the moon! Thanks to all for the advice & help - really pleased with the choice. ;D Now...back to work! Cheers, Malcolm.

Oops! You can tell I'm working this week & not concentrating! (I thought you meant change username :-[ ) Thanks Gurdy! Will do when I get back home I guess... Cheers!

Archived