FTX/OZx good for IFR?

Chrjs

HI,

i mostly fly in europe, however sometimes it gets a little bit "tight" and "crowdy" over here, so i would like to discover some new areas...

here is kind of what i expect:

- i want to fly with my JS41 some short distance flights/later some longer ones with the upcoming 737x over a wonderful and detailed landscape to interesting/challenging airports. of course with acceptable FPS. -

I already own PNW (love it) and i know, that its main target group are VFR-simmers. I enjoy that, but most of the times i'm flying IFR routes...

So here are my questions:

- is it worth the money (and that's quite a lot when you start from the beginning) to buy all australian packages + some payware/freeware airports for mostly IFR-action?

- Your seems to be on PNW and the following products. Will Australia still be improved in the (near) future? Especially some larger HUBs?

I'm grateful for any (honest) advice!  8)

Thanks in advance!

Christopher,

absolutely, go for it!

There are already lots of IFR capable airfield- and airport add-ons available, especially for the JS41 and 737, much more than for PNW. And we all know that IFR doesn't necessarily mean IMC, so plenty of time to look out the window and stare at that beautiful FTX scenery, even when doing IFR.

If you check the FTX website you'll see that there are lots of new airports coming up in the future, many of them including IFR procedures. And even if there's one without any IFR stuff, IFR joining and leaving flights with the JS41 can be fun too, specially in marginal weather! :)

I say every product by ORBX is worth every penny, regardless of the flight rules you want. Ok right, you might not want to buy a grass strip for the two aircraft types you mentioned, but the JS41 fits in on almost anything with some sort of concrete runway...

Cheers,

Markus

Flying at 30/35 thousand feet over Aus is not my thing, and it is my belief that Orbx is designed for "low and slow" but having said that, the program would be worth the money just for the great Airports, and the scenery on take off and landing. If you like PNW you will love Aus. Teecee.

Detailed airports will demand performance from your pc, if you want to run high settings, what kind of system do you have? And what´s your definition of "acceptable" FPS? 8) How does your PNW run?

Bjorn

My specs:

Intel Core quad Q9400 @ 2,66

Geforce GTX280

4 Gbram

Win7 64x

FPS: PNW, KSEA (medium settings), 100% traffic (UT2), Maddog2008 (VC) - 12-16fps

I think everything above 12-14fps is acceptable...

I doubt that you´ll get any higher FPS in the AU settings than what you got in PNW. But I´d disable UT2 and use the free-ware AU-Traffic in stead when flying AU. And I can still highly recommend it! The pay-ware airports have control panels, so you can cut out details that would otherwise bring performance down. Plus, you get a lot of smaller OZx free-ware airports to visit.

Ever concidered overclocking your quad? Should be able to get it across 3GHz, provided you have a decent cooler for it http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=47089 here´s a little reading, if you´re tempted ;). When it comes to hardware, this forum holds a nice knowledge base, lots of us have tried lots of things, all in the name of AU performance ;)

Then there´s the fsx.cfg tweaks to be added, if you haven´t already done the Jesus-tweaks, then there´s probably also some frames to be gained.

Never saw Maddog VC before, intersting, will have a closer look.

So, I think that you´d experience similar performance on AU. And there are ways to enhance performance. And we´ll be more than happy to assist you.

Happy flying!

Bjorn

I already thouhgt about overclocking... i'm just a little bit (over-) careful about my main computer - i have some business on this machine... but i will consider it.

i think i will give australia a shot...  8)

thanks for your help!

FTX AU also looks great at the FL's.

Together with YMML, YBBN, YSTW, YSCH, YHBA, YMLT, and soon Canberra, Cairns, and Bundaberg, I'd say there is enough options to keep any busy for a long time. Can't wait for the PMDG 737NG!

There's also Ant's airfields, which include some big airports, such as Hamilton Island, Rockhampton, and also Bundaberg.

OZx has many great fields that will handle a J41, too many to list.

I just want to report back! Bought Australia SP3 together with YCSF, YSTW and YBBN. Really nice stuff!

One question, YBBN is really kind of hard on the frames. I read that the YMML V2 version will have great frames. Is there a YBBN V2 planned to increase performance? It would deserve it!

Regards,

christopher

Archived