FTX airports in Oregon

Rob Abernathy

I'm curious.  Just landed at 2OR4 - Heaven's Gate Ranch in FTX NA and I don't see anything at all, other than the gravel strip.  I may have just been assuming that in the coverage area KML for Google Earth, that all the blue aircraft (representing strips) had some scenery enhancements of some kind.  Or are they just showing all the airports in the FTX coverage area in general?  No big deal, I'm just not sure I understand if I'm supposed to see something and it's not there!    :o

Hello,

All the airstrips shown in the KML have been touched by Neil in some way or another, I just had a quick squint in Googleearth of 2OR4, and there really isn't anything there to write home about, which is what Neil has represented in PNW

Looks like a really good candidate for an OZx strip actually

Thanks for the replies guys.  I went back and saw my scenery settings were at Auto Gen = Dense and Scenery Density = Very Dense.  I raised them to the highest level and there is still nothing there.  I love the setting here just North of Roseburg and the strip has a commanding view of the area around it.  I've done a number of sceneries for TCA virtual airline from FS98 to FS9 (Da Roost was one of them), so maybe I'll try my hand at enhancing this place.  Of course OZx might like to play with it too!  ;D

Here's what it looks like right now.

Posted Image

Hi guys, I think prehaps you misunderstood me, the above two pictures show what should be in the PNW package, Neil simply changed the runway surface and did some tweaking to the surrounding mesh with some flattens

Flip your FTXcentral to [Default] and you will see how it used to be

Like I said in my first post, there isn't anything there (buildings..misc clutter) in RL from looking in Google Earth, so apart from adding some photoreal and bushes ala OZx style theres not a lot that can be done

HI Folks,

When creating this airport, since there was nothing there, I kept it very simple.  Looking at the ADE file I noticed I did add a bunch of sloped flattens meaning it took some work to merge the rwy into the mesh.  In retrospect I could have added some bulges and such to more closely match the GE image which would have made it more realistic, something I've tried to do for the NRM area turfs to be released later this year.

On the plus side for me is I'm glad to see folks are actually flying to these out of the way strips, an encouragement for me to try to make them as realistic as possible, even if there are no ground structures.

Cheers, Neil

Yes, if you are trying to make them as realistic as possible, then there shouldn't be any buildings. :)

I am amazed of the great work you have done Neil with these airports, there is so many of them and yet they are really spot on and looks realistic as they are in GE, and also the locations are really close to real life, when comparing to GE.

Hi again,

So no one can say ORBX doesn't try to keep our customers happy here is a revised file to drop into your FSX ORBX folder that should make a better looking 2OR4, see attached screenshot.  Put the file into the "FSX/ORBX/FTX_NA/FTX_NA_PNW05_Scenery" folder and let it overwrite whats there.  Then refresh your  Scenery file (in the sim choose World, Scenery Library and click OK).  You should now see the revised 2OR4 airfield.  This update should also be in the next PNW update, whenever that is.

Kim, thanks for the kind words on the airports it makes the many 100's of hours worth it.

I hope sending the file this way works, I've not tried it before.

Cheers, Neil

post-2521-130204153207_thumb.jpg

Speaking of FTX airports in Oregon - how is the update to Portland International coming along?  I fly the airbus in and out of there a lot now days.

RayM

It's not so much an update as a complete rebuild from the ground up, Ray. I've got a ton of great pics, but I'm trying to finish up another project before I launch into KPDX for real.

Bill

Thanks Neil!  I'll put those files in and take a look.  A simple thanks really doesn't seem enough is correct.  I had no idea you made sloped flattens to blend the strip into the mesh.  Awesome!  Nothing there is as real as it gets then!  I'm enjoying going to ALL the strips, large and small, and always come away smiling.  I do them in little clusters, starting out from something medium as least, then branching out.  Just south of 2OR4 is a little strip by a river called Felt.  Amazing little place.  ;D  Thanks for all your work in PNW.

Archived