Blue Angels airshow ,,,With a little Help from our USA friends ?

John Giddens

Hi all ,

Myself and my lovely lady are heading over to the good old US of A next month taking in a much anticipated concert

with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (sept 28 ) at Chula Vista CA , and an airshow at Mirimar with the Blue Angels on Oct 1 , followed by a week in Cancun . Can,t wait  ;). Around Southern California We have some days before the concert  and before/after  the airshow and would love to hear from anyone local or who has been there to maybe suggest some cool places to stay and visit . I,ve exhausted the internet with lots of options and can,t make up my mind yet !!

Any inside info appreciated ,,, 

Cheers  ,, Johnno

you should a do nice long drive down the PCH (pacific coast highway) taking in all the coastal communities like Huntington beach and Laguna beach etc, If you get by Carslbad you can go to Legoland! lol

I live in carlsbad and this would be a great place to stay. except it is north of mira mar and chula vista .

Check into the various museums at balboa park centrally located between chula vista and miramar.

there is an air and space museum there there is also an air museum at gillespie field in el cajon.

hope it is sunny for you it has been cloudy at the beach all summer !

Johnno,

Very cool! I saw Tom Petty in concert in the early 90's and it was an awesome time! I am originally from So Cal, so I agree with lthendrix...go to the museums at Balboa Park...they are great! Also, be aware that everything in CA is North of Chula Vista. Just south is Mexico ;) So, yes, a drive UP the PCH is a good time.  Have fun! 8)

If you have the chance, you should try to get to the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, California.  Here's their website http://www.planesoffame.org/.  If you check out the website, you will see that they have a huge collection of aircraft that are in flying condition including P-51, P-40, P-38, F-86, Constellation, Corsair, Dauntless,  and a lot more.  Actually, for about $400, they will take you up in one of their planes.  They also have what I believe is the only early Northrop flying wing in the world that Jack Northrop built to prove the concept of the flying wing before it was built for the US Air Force in the 1940's.  Also, I've been to the airport many times, and its a hub of activity for historic planes.  I once landed there on a training flight in C172.  As I entered the pattern, there was a B-17 taxing below, and after we touched down, there was a P-80 waiting to cross the runway.  Chino is about 30 or 40 miles from downtown Los Angeles, and I promise that if you visit, you won't be disappointed.  Mike Gutierrez. North Hollywood, California.

Archived