network adapter?

wain71

my PC keeps losing internet connection, I have to click on the icon, bring the trouble-shooter up and chose to reset the Network Adapter, it's so frustrating.....I have followed the instructions to sort out the power management, and gone through a Microsoft guide but still this happens....now my motherboard does not have WIFI instead I have a USB plugin thing with like a small folding antenna that sits on the desk, I am assuming this is the issue?.....so what I am wondering is when I upgrade my PC next year am I best to chose a Motherboard with built in WIFI?....does anyone else ever see this issue?....my internet is full fibre and solid, and the WIFI around the house is great, my PS5 and Xbox never have this iisue...

Hello Wayne, 
the WiFi in my house is fine but I drilled a few holes under the stairs and have a cable
connection to the router for this PC.
The only time it loses connection to the internet is when Vodaphone let us down and
the whole house does as well.
We are on ancient copper cable running to the house on wooden poles.

On 9/4/2024 at 8:39 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Wayne, 
the WiFi in my house is fine but I drilled a few holes under the stairs and have a cable
connection to the router for this PC.
The only time it loses connection to the internet is when Vodaphone let us down and
the whole house does as well.
We are on ancient copper cable running to the house on wooden poles.

thanks Nick, yeah WiFi is not the issue, it's the adapter thing connected to the PC, keeps needing a reset, not sure whether to replace or just wait until I upgrade next spring... 

3 hours ago, wain71 said:

WiFi is not the issue, it's the adapter thing connected to the PC

Wayne, could you not replace that adaptor thing with an ethernet cable between your PC and router, that gives the strongest signal.

On 9/6/2024 at 7:14 PM, Smudger said:

Wayne, could you not replace that adaptor thing with an ethernet cable between your PC and router, that gives the strongest signal.

Hi Smudger, no not really, just trying to work out if it's this USB thing and if this would happen if I had a motherboard with built in Wifi. my internet & Wifi are not the issue here, I just don't want to replace a part if it's not doing what I think it does....I usually buy from Overclockers, they're helpful and don't just advise you to buy something because they are looking to hit a target....