Virtual Private Network (VPN) - to use or not to use ? Need advice . . .

Hi,

Anyone out there using a VPN while online ?   I am interested in the benefits of this, for example, getting access to movies on NetFlix that I cannot access as a UK subscriber.   Although, I don't understand how I could do this.   Surely, as soon as I log in, I would be recognised as a UK login and not get any access elsewhere . .  . ?

Perhaps my biggest issue is that my Internet provider, here in the UK - Vodafone - specifically states that, "we do not support VPNs".   What does that mean ?   Do they actively have firmware in the Hub or software at their site that stops anyone trying to use a VPN ?

I understand there are cons as well as pros . . .   I did once try a trial of ProtonVPN - and found that I could not access any of my usual sites, such as this one for example . . .

I would appreciate any advice by some of you tech Gurus.   Can an ISP such as Vodafone actually stop me using a VPN if I wanted to ?   Anyone using NetFlix, actually able to get to see content, not available on their normal subscription ?

And what would be the best VPN to go with, if I could use one ?   I have been told to avoid NortonVPN !

Any advice would be welcome,

Thanks you,

Hello Nick,

Thanks for jumping in.   No, NetFlix is not an issue.   I do already have a subscription to NetFlix here in the UK.   But I'm told that content not available to us UK subscribers, but which is available to US viewers for example, can be viewed by us here in the UK if a VPN connection to the Internet is used.

Although, as I have said, I don't know how this would work.

Thanks for your thoughts,

EMFBI,

I have used a VPN in Europe to watch American based streaming services. However, Netflix is blocked by their server. Somehow, they detect a foreign location, even though a VPN is in place. My other services, i.e. MAX, PRIME, HULU worked fine and were not stopped by my vpn.

Sherm

Hi,

Thanks for jumping in.   I have since learned that ISPs can, indeed, detect the use of a VPN and block access, so since my provider, VODAFONE state that they will not support VPNs, I guess they will block any attempt by me to use one.

Ah well . . .

All the best,