ATC TOD....

wain71

I have found that default ATC in MSFS see's my TOD far to late, coming into a cloudy Oslo yesterday I needed to fly the Bus like a fighter jet....bad end to an otherwise wonderful flight experience...

In XPlane I don't use the default ATC as I find it to be very poor.....

I've tried Pilot 2Atc but couldn't get on with it, I'd like something that directs me form taxi to taxi and everything in between.. should I maybe just as I have done recently ask ATC to let me descend by 10000ft and be more prepared for the landing?..

Is FSHud able to handle all the phases correctly?.. should I wait for Beyond ATC?

I tried the voice option in p2a but I can't get on with them, I can't use online ATC as I sometimes need to pause the SIM...

Any suggestions or thoughts on your experience with the different options would be appreciated...

• Like 1

I have given up with ATC in MSFS.  As you say, their directions are terrible and they always wait too long to descend you, but even worse than that is the constant ATC drop outs.  The other day the ATC dropped out before I even reached the runway for takeoff.  When I say it drops out, I am talking about the bug where the voices stop working but the messages still appear in the log, so ATC is communicating but the voices just stop.  Sometimes I will just play Live ATC tracks in the background, but that's a bit annoying to swap frequencies in VR, so I end up just playing one or two unsuitable frequencies.  I was waiting on Beyond ATC too, but TBH I don't like the sound of the voices at all.  They sound very robotic in the previews.  I used VOX ATC with FSX and P3D and that was great.  Voice controlled with full procedures, and although it used TTS voices, I did get some very nice 3rd party TTS voices from Cereproc and Ivona.  I wish MSFS could make use of TTS and 3rd party voices.  Apparently VOX ATC are developing their software for MSFS, but it's taking forever.  Last I heard it was in beta, but that was a year ago.  While VOX ATC is great, the downside to it is that you need to spend some time setting each flight's details in the program so ATC know where you are going and what you are doing.  Like a lot of programs I suppose, you need to spend time setting it up, but in flight it is very enjoyable.

• Like 1

Yeah very annoying Wayne. I have flown down the centreline at 4500ft quite often. I am trying no Asobo ATC and just importing the flight plan from Simbrief and using the "managed" mode on AP but can't seem to get it working on the FBW A320. If anyone knows of a good YouTube tutorial please steer me in the right direction.

Cheers

Graeme :)

Edited by boetie
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

I have given up with ATC in MSFS.  As you say, their directions are terrible and they always wait too long to descend you, but even worse than that is the constant ATC drop outs.  The other day the ATC dropped out before I even reached the runway for takeoff.  When I say it drops out, I am talking about the bug where the voices stop working but the messages still appear in the log, so ATC is communicating but the voices just stop.  Sometimes I will just play Live ATC tracks in the background, but that's a bit annoying to swap frequencies in VR, so I end up just playing one or two unsuitable frequencies.  I was waiting on Beyond ATC too, but TBH I don't like the sound of the voices at all.  They sound very robotic in the previews.  I used VOX ATC with FSX and P3D and that was great.  Voice controlled with full procedures, and although it used TTS voices, I did get some very nice 3rd party TTS voices from Cereproc and Ivona.  I wish MSFS could make use of TTS and 3rd party voices.  Apparently VOX ATC are developing their software for MSFS, but it's taking forever.  Last I heard it was in beta, but that was a year ago.  While VOX ATC is great, the downside to it is that you need to spend some time setting each flight's details in the program so ATC know where you are going and what you are doing.  Like a lot of programs I suppose, you need to spend time setting it up, but in flight it is very enjoyable.

never had the dropping out of the sound but do get forgotten by ATC sometimes, COXATC was very good, I knew the guy that was partly responsible for that program, for some reason I can never get voice controlled programs to understand me, must be my West Country accent.....tempted by FSHud though...

13 minutes ago, boetie said:

Yeah very annoying Wayne. I have flown down the centreline at 4500ft quite often. I am trying no Asobo ATC and just importing the flight plan from Simbrief and using the "managed" mode on AP but can't seem to get it working on the FBW A320. If anyone knows of a good YouTube tutorial please steer me in the right direction.

Cheers

glad it's not just me getting issues but it is very frustrating after a flight to get the end bit go wrong...I have just started to put the bus into descent and the right place then just set it to the interception altitude and hope it catches the constraints for height correctly, do sometimes get ATC telling me to get to the correct level though...

6 hours ago, boetie said:

Cheers

Real Sim Pilot has done a tutorial series on the FBW A320 - https://www.youtube.com/@RealSimPilot

Another couple of Youtubers I watch all the time, who have different tutorials on A320s like the Fenix and FS Labs, are A330 Driver and Blackbox Simulations.  They may have something on the FBW A320 too amongst all their videos, but any A320 tutorial should help you out, because unless there's a bug with the FBW, they should all act the same in normal flights.

https://www.youtube.com/@Blackbox711

https://www.youtube.com/@A330Driver

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wain71 said:

never had the dropping out of the sound but do get forgotten by ATC sometimes, COXATC was very good, I knew the guy that was partly responsible for that program, for some reason I can never get voice controlled programs to understand me, must be my West Country accent.....tempted by FSHud though...

You can train your voice with Windows speech recognition, not sure if you have tried that?  Been a while since I used any voice activated programs, but I used to use Vox ATC sometimes and FS2Crew all the time.  Training my voice definitely helped the programs recognise my speech more successfully.  I just saw a video on another new ATC program tonight.  It looks interesting, but is expensive, is currently only in beta, is limited to VFR, and does not interact with other AI aircraft yet.  Definitely interesting though, it uses AI technology so you can say almost anything roughly correct to the ATC and it will understand and react to you.  It's called "Say Intentions"

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 12:19 PM, Scott Harmes said:

You can train your voice with Windows speech recognition, not sure if you have tried that?  Been a while since I used any voice activated programs, but I used to use Vox ATC sometimes and FS2Crew all the time.  Training my voice definitely helped the programs recognise my speech more successfully.  I just saw a video on another new ATC program tonight.  It looks interesting, but is expensive, is currently only in beta, is limited to VFR, and does not interact with other AI aircraft yet.  Definitely interesting though, it uses AI technology so you can say almost anything roughly correct to the ATC and it will understand and react to you.  It's called "Say Intentions"

yeah I tried that, got nowhere with it, got more frustrated having to keep repeating, use FS2CREW stuff in button mode for ages...that video looks interesting, something big will come along now with the Ai stuff....

I just got FSHud, seems okay, voices are unusual but I think it'll do for the time being, only tried the ground part at the start of the flight having to learn if I can get this, GSX & Self Loading Cargo to all work together...

• Like 1