Runway Gradient - Where to find?

shane2801

Runway gradient will sometimes be listed in the airport information section, or under the runway info section.  From what I understand, this info is only listed if the runway slope is greater than +/- 0.3 degrees.  A lot of runways of major airports which have the appropriate charts will have a runway slope less than this, so it will not be listed.  You can use other information to calculate the slope pretty easily.  On the Airport diagram chart it will list the threshold elevation for each end of each runway.  

Subtract the elevation of the lower end of the runway from the higher end. For example, if the elevation of the higher end of the runway is 4,400 feet, and the lower end of the runway is 4,370 feet, then subtracting 4,000 by 4,370 results in 30 feet.

Divide the difference of the elevations by the length of the runway. For the example, the length of the runway is 3,000 feet. Dividing 30 by 3,000 results in 0.01.

Of course when entering the gradient in the FMC you can enter + or - values of the gradient, depending on which end of the runway you'll be starting on.  

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/573/1781/airport-diagram-legend.pdf

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, shane2801 said:

Thanks guys

No probs.  Also, I think Lido charts do have slope displayed on the approach charts, but I rarely see Lido charts anymore.  I think Navigraph used to use them, but now they use Jeppesen (I think).

image.thumb.jpeg.8ce46df8ee30e521ea5d3d3c4f275f9e.jpeg

• Like 1

Standard FAA airport diagrams, accessible via SkyVector, give the gradient as a percentage. For example, the chart for KJAC, Jackson Hole, notes that RWY 01 has a gradient of "0.6% UP." This information is placed along the runway itself, along with the actual heading, and is given for one end only.  But in my example it is clear that if RWY 01 is 0.6% UP, RWY 19 is 0.6% DOWN.  These charts only cover the larger airports, however.

Ken

• Like 1