Orbx Installer needs targeted installation option

cbcdesign

Using the add-ons linker due to the sheer volume of add-ons I now have is highlighting short comings in the Orbx installer. Having the option to install scenery in either a single library or the community folder is no longer very user friendly in my opinion. I think we need the option to install each individual scenery title in a folder of our choice so that the installer is aware of where each scenery is located for auto update to function properly. As it is I am having to manually update to a library then shift the scenery afterwards to the proper place because I have so many airport and mods sceneries it has become necessary to group them by country. 

I know the linker gives us the ability to keep everything in one folder and use pre-sets but that's just as messy. 

So can Orbx please consider giving us this added flexibility?

Edited by cbcdesign
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No it doesnt unfortunately (as far as I can tell) because the create library dialogue complains if I try to create a new library in a folder in which other folders already exist, throwing a "The library location isnt empty" Warning. So I cannot have a folder called FLIGHT SIMULATOR Add-Ons Folders for instance and create various libraries within that folder, it just wont allow it.

Edited by cbcdesign

That is correct, but there should be no need to create a folder inside another folder that is created by Orbx Central. If that were the case, Orbx Central would not be able find and update products, because it does not make any sense to do so.

8 hours ago, cbcdesign said:

No it doesnt unfortunately (as far as I can tell) because the create library dialogue complains if I try to create a new library in a folder in which other folders already exist, throwing a "The library location isnt empty" Warning. So I cannot have a folder called FLIGHT SIMULATOR Add-Ons Folders for instance and create various libraries within that folder, it just wont allow it.

Hello,

if you want to create an Orbx Library inside a pre-existing folder that is not empty, just rename that folder by adding an X to its name.

Close Orbx Central.

Then create a new and empty folder in the same place and give it the same name, without the X of course.

Create your new library.

Close Orbx Central.

Delete the new folder and remove the X from the name of the existing one.

Restart Orbx Central and you will have your new library.

Be aware that Orbx Central will create a new folder, named msfs, inside your chosen folder.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

"That is correct, but there should be no need to create a folder inside another folder that is created by Orbx Central. If that were the case, Orbx Central would not be able find and update products, because it does not make any sense to do so."

Reply: It didn't make sense when Orbx Central was developed but the Add-Ons linker has created a need for a different installation approach. And why the program can't trace where individual sceneries are located just because they may be in different folders, that's only because it does not work that way at the moment. But something like an xml which lists each scenery and the path to it during install is one approach, that's what the Add-ons linker does after all to create short cuts in the community folder based on a list of installed sceneries with known paths to them.

Thanks Nick but that doesnt work either. I cannot create more than one library using that method. Yes it creates a library in a folder with existing content but it won't create a second library in that same folder so I still cannot have sceneries in folders by country which is what I want to do.

Edited by cbcdesign