Library installation in MAC/Windows Bootcamp environment

Robder

Hi all,

I'm running X-Plane in a mixed MAC / Windows environment on my iMac with a Windows 10 Bootcamp partition. Usually I run X-Plane on my Mac-OS system, but sometimes, when I need more performance, I run X-Plane in my Windows 10 environment.

I have quite a few Orbx TrueEarth products installed in Libraries on 2 external SSD drives, which I have connected to my Mac and my Windows system (using AFPS for Windows).

I installed the productes using Orbx Central on my Mac.

Now my question: can I use the same libraries in my Windows X-Plane installation? I don't have the space for 2 separate installations.

I installed Orbx Central on my Windows system, but it does not detect the existing libraries...

Hello,

I can see no logical reason why you should not be able to use the same files for each method of running X Plane 11.

I also can see no reason why Orbx Central running under Windows should not detect your existing libraries.

The flie structure must be the same and I must assume that Windows can see the folders in the same way.

@Nick CooperThere does seem to be a problem on the Windows platform. I'm access the SSD Drive, which is APFS formatted, with Paragon APFS for Windows and I can see and access files on that drive.

When trying to create a new library on Drive G I get following error message:

ORBX.thumb.jpg.ed63827a91cd676a5e1cf21a6e21d8a2.jpg

Any suggestions?

Hello,

given that the Library creation system does not allow for anything but selecting an existing folder,

the fact that you hve apparently done so and yet Orbx Central cannot see it would suggest that

there is something fundamentally wrong.

Can you attach a copy of the Orbx Central log please?

41 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

given that the Library creation system does not allow for anything but selecting an existing folder,

the fact that you hve apparently done so and yet Orbx Central cannot see it would suggest that

there is something fundamentally wrong.

Can you attach a copy of the Orbx Central log please?

Attached is the log:

central.log

I did find the following in the Event Log:

Eventlog-1.txt

Edited by Robder

Hello,

they have isolated this error:

2021-12-19T13:52:55.325Z [INFO] [Central::IpcService] - Disconnected from Saturn.
2021-12-19T13:52:55.345Z [INFO] [Central::IpcService] - The Orbx Central worker process failed to start. Please check the user guide for troubleshooting advice at http://orbx.to/central-guide - closed with code 3762504530 - null

follwed by this one in the Event Viewer.

Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'G:\.DocumentRevisions-V100\staging'.

They are asking did you create this folder?

I have also done some more research.

First thought was that I don't really need Orbx Central if I create the required symbolic links in the X-Plane Custom Scenery folder manually and update the scenery.ini file accordingly.

To my surprise this did not work as I was getting the error message: "The device does not support symbolic links."

I found some articles which stated that only the NTFS file system supports symbolic links in Windows.

• Thanks 1

Backup & Re-formatted my exFAT drive to NTFS. After restore I managed to manually create symbolic links for all Orbx library files and updated scenery.ini accordingly.  

X-Plane seems to start OK. according to the log, it finds all scenery locations.

I see this as a workaround for the time being...

Edited by Robder