Auckland scenery spikes

Hi there. Loving the landmarks pack. When approaching the city from the west, I noticed these scenery spikes present:

20211026125457_1.thumb.jpg.a0871259653046d5c47c9ad3e20d9413.jpg

1. No rolling cache.

2. Deleted the Content.xml file

3. Deleted the simulator .dat files

4. Nothing else in the Community folder

Let me know if there's any other info you need in terms of my graphics / data settings. 

Edited by pigloaf

Some more findings

The direction of approach is important. I can't get these deformations to appear when approaching from any direction other than west. For these screens I started the flight at Lat 37° 04' 40.12" Long 147° 26' 3.46".

Terrain Level Of Detail has some impact on how these spikes present. 

• High LOD (400) results in fewer deformations being visible, but they are larger and sharper. (screenshot in original post was 400)
  • Low LOD (100) results in more deformations being visible. They are softer and appear at greater distances. (see example below)20211026205147_1.thumb.jpg.b3204c91d5ff28e6a046de5c0264f3aa.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Is this with photogrammetry on?  Looks like something is being called long before it should.  I haven't seen anything similar.

Can you take a screenshot zoomed right in when you see them?  It's ahard to tell from those screenshots what we're looking at.

18 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi

You may also want to submit a ticket using the below link.

https://support.orbxdirect.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360002118055

Thanks, will do.

16 hours ago, John Dow said:

Is this with photogrammetry on?  Looks like something is being called long before it should.  I haven't seen anything similar.

Can you take a screenshot zoomed right in when you see them?  It's ahard to tell from those screenshots what we're looking at.

Yes, photogrammetry is on.

400 LOD:

400.thumb.PNG.7dd5ca62ab08a81c1564f459cfd420c0.PNG

100 LOD:

100.thumb.PNG.d3a778fbc10674c41196db9d304f083f.PNG

Hi

Didn't think I had seen any spikes around Auckland despite intensive testing.

I suspect you might have another add-on that is interfering with the mesh.  Default MSFS with the Auckland City Pack installed shows none of the mesh spikes, as you can see from my screenshots below.   I don't have any other addons except NZAA and NZAR.

My LOD is 400 and photogrammetry is on.  One shot is from over the Tasman to the West, the other is east of Waiheke Island to the east.

AucklandSpikes1.thumb.png.db1c54fb55b061e2e7465c51aaecd490.png

AucklandSpikes2.thumb.png.0944e1de662369990217cae2f3b54cc2.png

On 11/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, John Dow said:

Hi

Didn't think I had seen any spikes around Auckland despite intensive testing.

I suspect you might have another add-on that is interfering with the mesh.  Default MSFS with the Auckland City Pack installed shows none of the mesh spikes, as you can see from my screenshots below.   I don't have any other addons except NZAA and NZAR.

My LOD is 400 and photogrammetry is on.  One shot is from over the Tasman to the West, the other is east of Waiheke Island to the east.

AucklandSpikes1.thumb.png.db1c54fb55b061e2e7465c51aaecd490.png

AucklandSpikes2.thumb.png.0944e1de662369990217cae2f3b54cc2.png

Hi Dow. Thanks for looking into it. My screenshots are default MSFS with the Auckland pack. No other add-ons and I followed instructions clearing cache and key files etc. 

As per my earlier post, this doesn’t present from the east. Only from the west. 

Interested in your position for the photo over the Tasman. These spikes appear at a certain range. At 400 LOD they appear for me about when I hit the coast (then disappear once im very close to the spikes). If you were over the Tasman (eg with high camera zoom) it’s possible you may not have been in range for them to appear. My 400 LOD example screens are from above the Waitakere ranges. 

You can see in the 100 LOD example it's occurring around the coastal areas of the city where the coastal / tidal areas have been exposed.

I've seen reports of terrain spikes occurring when approaching from a specific direction on the MS forums. My guess is modifications to terrain can cause this - but no idea why it's only presenting for certain users. 

Glad to hear there are no other reports of this - guess I'll just have to hope Asobo resolve it...

I just ran another test flew up the west coast looking out towards the city, then turned over Piha and headed ofr the city, not a single spike did I see.  I then repeated the flight with settings at Ultra and LOD at 400, not a single spike did I see.

I do have the NZ mesh installed I don't know if that makes a difference.

I did a 10 minute test flight this morning into Auckland City from the West after SU7 had finished its shenanigans, and there were all sorts of strange lumps and bumps and spikes that weren't there yesterday.  I have a custom airport for NZNE north of the city but nothing going on actually in Auckland except the NZ mesh and Orbx Auckland. I'll give it another go and see what happens coming at it from different directions. Are there any standard troubleshooting things I should delete / disable ?

Cheers

I did several more flights in various planes and the problems seem to have sorted themselves out or at least been quietly patched in the 'checking for updates' loading screen. The only issue now, as has been noted, is the football field size park instead of a huge gaping hole on top of Mt Eden - Aviation1903's Mt Eden mod for the win, now back in my scenery library.