Drone camera mode - no flight controls

Hi guys, have just got around to messing with the drone with my Xbox controller, controller works fine, but I have no controls, stick doesn't do a damned thing, no up down or sideways, in other words, it ain't workin.:( Can't find a reason, anyone help with this please - thanks

Don

I maybe incorrect but I thought it was a case of hitting Active Pause, then Drone camera to take a shot whilst in flight, then back to normal camera and unpause...drone camera is used a lot to explore whilst on the ground...if you are flying and you put the plane on Auto pilot you can go to external camera to look around the aircraft...but like I said I may be wrong...

• Upvote 1

Hi Wayne, thanks mate. I haven't been able to sort it out, I thought you had to have an aircraft flying for it to work. I basically want to use it for exploring city's and countryside, not the aircraft flying around. Might have to check Youtube for a tutorial.

Don 

• Like 1

yeah the drone is superb for exploring the airports and cities, just load a plane at a park spot and then switch to drone, very simple controls.. I read in another post you watched a video by Squirrel so hopefully you are now all sorted...

• Like 2

Hi Wayne,  yep got it together now. Pretty confused at first, even Squirrel didn't completely get the message across, (it's an age thing:rolleyes:) but found another one Flight Sim Deck, he explained it very clearly, so now I just need a bit of practice.

Don 

• Like 1

@Aussieflyer38  @wain71

Hi Don and Wayne,

I haven't watched the video by squirrel, so maybe you already know the following.

Steering the plane while in drone mode is actually quite simple.

1. Assign a key/button to "Toggle Plane Controls". I think it is the "c" key by default. This is inconvenient though, because also the com radios are pinned to "c"

2. Now whenever you "Toggle Plane Controls" you can steer the aircraft while in drone mode, but you cannot move the drone camera then. For positioning the drone camera you have to "Toggle Plane Controls" again.  The "Toggle Plane Controls" command works also when in flying mode inside the cockpit.

3. Unfortunatly there is no way of moving/positioning the drone camera and steering the aircraft simultaneously.

So what I usually do is:

1. I "Toggle Drone Mode"

2. Position the drone (a perfectly trimmed plane can fly a few seconds whitout control input)

3. Then I "Toggle Plane Controls" so I can steer the aicraft while in drone mode

5. I "Toggle Plane Controls" back and forth when I want to reposition the drone 

4.  I "Toggle Drone Mode" again, when I want to go back into the cockpit

I hope this helps. It sounds much more complicated than it is. :)

Edit: whith TrackIR you can change the camera direction and even the its position a bit when steering in drone mode.

Edit 2: I do not use an Xbox controller for steering the drone but Keyboard commands.

Edited by wolfko
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

@Aussieflyer38  @wain71

Hi Don and Wayne,

I haven't watched the video by squirrel, so maybe you already know the following.

Steering the plane while in drone mode is actually quite simple.

1. Assign a key/button to "Toggle Plane Controls". I think it is the "c" key by default. This is inconvenient though, because also the com radios are pinned to "c"

2. Now whenever you "Toggle Plane Controls" you can steer the aircraft while in drone mode, but you cannot move the drone camera then. For positioning the drone camera you have to "Toggle Plane Controls" again.  The "Toggle Plane Controls" command works also when in flying mode inside the cockpit.

3. Unfortunatly there is no way of moving/positioning the drone camera and steering the aircraft simultaneously.

So what I usually do is:

1. I "Toggle Drone Mode"

2. Position the drone (a perfectly trimmed plane can fly a few seconds whitout control input)

3. Then I "Toggle Plane Controls" so I can steer the aicraft while in drone mode

5. I "Toggle Plane Controls" back and forth when I want to reposition the drone 

4.  I "Toggle Drone Mode" again, when I want to go back into the cockpit

I hope this helps. It sounds much more complicated than it is. :)

Edit: whith TrackIR you can change the camera direction and even the its position a bit when steering in drone mode.

Edit 2: I do not use an Xbox controller for steering the drone but Keyboard commands.

I only use drone cam on the ground, to check out new scenery but thanks for posting these instructions they will be useful...if I am using TrackIR then I tend to stay in the cockpit and pause TrackIR if I want to view outside or maybe take a screenshot...

was using TrackIR the other day, low and fast with our latest plane we are testing, just looks amazing in MSFS.....