Which *.dds format exactly is used?

raba

Hello,

I'd be very interested to understand in which format exactly the Orbx *.dds ortho textures are saved (e.g. in the Canaries pack): DXT3 (BC2, linear), DXT5 (BC3, linear), ...?

Thanks in advance for information.

Hello

Typically either DXT1 or DXT5 are used but note my qualification.  I often can't remember exactly what I have done in a given circumstance at some time in the past.  I'd suggest doing what I do when I'm not sure; open the file in DXTBMP and observe.  (It's a free download and very useful.)  Then you do know for sure. 

Larry 

Thanks for the replies.

For some reason, though, ortho *.dss textures I save in DXT1 format don't get loaded by X-Plane; on loading, it says (translated): "...couldn't be loaded", and in the scenery there are just blank (=white) areas at the respective positions.

With Paint.net (which offers an impressive variety of editing), I can't get information on the exact details of how existing textures are saved, but I'll try to find out with DXTBMP as suggested above.

On 4/1/2021 at 4:53 AM, Larry_R said:

...  open the file in DXTBMP and observe.  (It's a free download and very useful.)  Then you do know for sure. 

Larry 

I tried as you suggested, but in DXTBMP I can't find how to get information on the format details of a loaded *.dds texture file ("observe" as you put it). Could you please help me with a precise explanation how to do get that information? Thanks a lot.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to do? This doesn't sound like a support request and outside our usual requests for support.

For X-Plane, you can use nvcompress from nvidia, or xgrinder from Laminar Research, both will have the same result. I've also tested xnconvert and that works correctly as well?

However, you probably should be taking this sort of question to a developer forum and not as product support.

Archived