Corrupted scenery with Global + Vector

jfri

I see glaring errors in the scenery with Base pack + Vector in P3d 5. the pictures below show examples of what I mean. Is this really normal ? I don't have these problems within region.

areasmisplacedobjects.thumb.jpg.1c62464893fe1c7a42b458d612cd86bc.jpgmisplacedbuildings.thumb.jpg.fe39ef333c884bec1b3ff77febd53d07.jpgwaterelevation.thumb.jpg.076c07c08e62220c200d39db11db8e54.jpg

Hello jfri,

After doing update to 5.1, nothing but issues. When I fly above 1000feet scenery is blurry. I have been wrestling with this and still no fix for me. There is a lot of reading about this issue on here, nothing has worked for me,  and then there is the other error on start up. At my wits end man.

Regards

Sam

5 hours ago, aviator49 said:

Hello jfri,

After doing update to 5.1, nothing but issues. When I fly above 1000feet scenery is blurry. I have been wrestling with this and still no fix for me. There is a lot of reading about this issue on here, nothing has worked for me,  and then there is the other error on start up. At my wits end man.

Regards

Sam

Hey Sam,

Maybe start a new post with your issues itemised ?

That way you've a topic dedicated to your particular probs.

And an example test flying location for repeatability, maybe even a flight plan would be of benefit for assistance ?

Cheers R

Hello Quantum Amiga,

Thank you for your input. I have had some of these issues before in the past and Nick has helped. However some of the solutions then don't apply now. I will work it out and search on web. I will try to get a few pics today so you can see for yourself.

Regards

On 3/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, Quantum Amiga said:

Hey Sam,

Maybe start a new post with your issues itemised ?

That way you've a topic dedicated to your particular probs.

And an example test flying location for repeatability, maybe even a flight plan would be of benefit for assistance ?

Cheers R

What about my itemized issues and problems ? I can add information about locations. The two first shots are at London. The last one with hilly water is at a river going north from Gothenburg. Also  I notice a slight tendency of the problem being more severe around bigger cities.

On 3/23/2021 at 11:21 PM, jfri said:

What about my itemized issues and problems ? I can add information about locations. The two first shots are at London. The last one with hilly water is at a river going north from Gothenburg. Also  I notice a slight tendency of the problem being more severe around bigger cities.

Hey jfri, yes you're right and best that your thread is not unintentionally hijacked.

• Do you have other scenery besides that of Orbx ?
  • The square/rectangle/triangle type shaped buildings look familiar, I think someone else in the forum had the same issue and it turned out to be third party induced.
  • As in some third party scenery/addon incorrectly adding to or overwriting the autogen config file.
  • Or maybe it's just the order of scenery coming into play.

I'm sorry though, I don't have total recall of when or what thread it was, maybe a search or someone else can chime in ?

I also recommend the use of the Lorby P3D Addon Organiser to manage and order sceneries from both the std. scenery.cfg file and the addins.xml, infact there is really no other reliable way to easily manage order of xml based scenery. You'll find details and the author's forum at the AVSIM forums.

The above said London is a big place with a number of surrounding airports (assuming London in the United Kingdom) and I recommend enabling the Lat  and Lon coordinates for your screenshots so the area can be located easily for others to assist and confirm what they see. And an outside shot is often best for full viewing of a scenery related issue.

Looking at that first shot, it looks more like Rome? I'm pretty sure I see the Colosseum, though the second shot does look like London UK.

Finally I've added an example pic showing London UK, where the Lat and Lon are displayed, plus there are identifiable landmarks, and I can identify the airport in the background as EGLC.

40C94221DF2FCF2E20941A3301496AE1F8CDEBFF

12 hours ago, Quantum Amiga said:

Hey jfri, yes you're right and best that your thread is not unintentionally hijacked.

• Do you have other scenery besides that of Orbx ?
  • The square/rectangle/triangle type shaped buildings look familiar, I think someone else in the forum had the same issue and it turned out to be third party induced.
  • As in some third party scenery/addon incorrectly adding to or overwriting the autogen config file.
  • Or maybe it's just the order of scenery coming into play.

I'm sorry though, I don't have total recall of when or what thread it was, maybe a search or someone else can chime in ?

I also recommend the use of the Lorby P3D Addon Organiser to manage and order sceneries from both the std. scenery.cfg file and the addins.xml, infact there is really no other reliable way to easily manage order of xml based scenery. You'll find details and the author's forum at the AVSIM forums.

The above said London is a big place with a number of surrounding airports (assuming London in the United Kingdom) and I recommend enabling the Lat  and Lon coordinates for your screenshots so the area can be located easily for others to assist and confirm what they see. And an outside shot is often best for full viewing of a scenery related issue.

Looking at that first shot, it looks more like Rome? I'm pretty sure I see the Colosseum, though the second shot does look like London UK.

Finally I've added an example pic showing London UK, where the Lat and Lon are displayed, plus there are identifiable landmarks, and I can identify the airport in the background as EGLC.

40C94221DF2FCF2E20941A3301496AE1F8CDEBFF

I only use Orbx scenery. I might be mistaken about the first pic, it could be Rome. But the point is the anamolies, and I can actually spot them in the product description screen shots for vector. And in your pic it is clear that there are grey roads going over the scenery and corrupts it. That is also even more clearly seen in the screen shots below. I think the second is close in place to yours. The same bridge visible I think. Also information of place is displayed here

London.thumb.jpg.cd5b0c8e83ad2a6d5d3e4155b0e4e94b.jpgLondonBridge.thumb.jpg.c6528bd8856a008d686eba49c4d445d7.jpg

12 hours ago, jfri said:

I only use Orbx scenery. I might be mistaken about the first pic, it could be Rome. But the point is the anamolies, and I can actually spot them in the product description screen shots for vector. And in your pic it is clear that there are grey roads going over the scenery and corrupts it. That is also even more clearly seen in the screen shots below. I think the second is close in place to yours. The same bridge visible I think. Also information of place is displayed here

Hi jfri,

Ok, I understand what you're talking about now.

Yes the roads overlay on top of the scenery is a feature of "Land Class" based scenery, it's existed since day one in FSX and probably the earlier Microsoft sims as well (they're before my time so I cannot really comment).

Land Class based scenery is the standard in FSX and P3D (given P3D is an evolution from FSX), the idea being that LC scenery is able to cover large areas of the world with a representation using relatively high-res textures for a much smaller amount of storage space. Essentially if there is a town or city or trees below you'll see a representation of said town or city or trees etc.

And Orbx does a pretty good job with it imho, looking at my London screenshot I'd say representation of the city with highlights of POI is quite nice.

Could it be better? yes it could, and I think it would be nice if everything aligned with say Open Street maps, however when the LC system was designed there was no such thing, even Google maps wouldn't have existed (no smart phones either), in any case it would be up to Lockheed Martin to introduce such a change since they control the engine.

The above all said, if you want something more, such as what is actually on the ground, then you need to look at Orbx's "True Earth" products which are photoreal types of scenery.

https://orbxdirect.com/product/gbr-south

Here's a pic of "True Earth" Florida (keys) for an idea of what it looks like. Plus Orbx has a sale on atm, good opportunity if you're interested.

6B3EA0FD9D6901A0995EC852128E1E62F260F681

A further option is actual photoreal, but for the most part you would need to create that yourself, and it won't have buildings or trees or autogen unless you create and add them yourself. Basically a photoreal base is what Orbx "True Earth" is built upon, still... it can look pretty reasonable.

35D775129727FEC4EFF660F255AC3901F11882B2

Cheers R

3 hours ago, Quantum Amiga said:

Hi jfri,

Ok, I understand what you're talking about now.

Yes the roads overlay on top of the scenery is a feature of "Land Class" based scenery, it's existed since day one in FSX and probably the earlier Microsoft sims as well (they're before my time so I cannot really comment).

Land Class based scenery is the standard in FSX and P3D (given P3D is an evolution from FSX), the idea being that LC scenery is able to cover large areas of the world with a representation using relatively high-res textures for a much smaller amount of storage space. Essentially if there is a town or city or trees below you'll see a representation of said town or city or trees etc.

And Orbx does a pretty good job with it imho, looking at my London screenshot I'd say representation of the city with highlights of POI is quite nice.

Could it be better? yes it could, and I think it would be nice if everything aligned with say Open Street maps, however when the LC system was designed there was no such thing, even Google maps wouldn't have existed (no smart phones either), in any case it would be up to Lockheed Martin to introduce such a change since they control the engine.

The above all said, if you want something more, such as what is actually on the ground, then you need to look at Orbx's "True Earth" products which are photoreal types of scenery.

https://orbxdirect.com/product/gbr-south

Here's a pic of "True Earth" Florida (keys) for an idea of what it looks like. Plus Orbx has a sale on atm, good opportunity if you're interested.

6B3EA0FD9D6901A0995EC852128E1E62F260F681

A further option is actual photoreal, but for the most part you would need to create that yourself, and it won't have buildings or trees or autogen unless you create and add them yourself. Basically a photoreal base is what Orbx "True Earth" is built upon, still... it can look pretty reasonable.

35D775129727FEC4EFF660F255AC3901F11882B2

Cheers R

The roads does not explain the misplaced objects in my first shots or the non flat river surface. And who knows when it surface again. Could that depend on the vector roads ? I mean in my latest shots where it looks more normal I had disabled the roads in vector. But then I discovered that the scenery was not normal due to missing roads.

I wonder if getting europe landclass would change things to the better (three products designed to work together)

6 hours ago, jfri said:

The roads does not explain the misplaced objects in my first shots or the non flat river surface. And who knows when it surface again. Could that depend on the vector roads ? I mean in my latest shots where it looks more normal I had disabled the roads in vector. But then I discovered that the scenery was not normal due to missing roads.

I wonder if getting europe landclass would change things to the better (three products designed to work together)

The P3D v5 version of Vector is somewhat cut down due to changes in P3D where LM were said to have improved the base scenery so that vector was not required.

However it quickly became apparent the changes LM made were limited and vector was still needed and Orbx sliced it down to fit into the v5 schema.

Personally I think a better approach by LM would have been to license Orbx's Global Base and Vector and update that, instead of the half baked approach they went with. That said each has pros and cons.

Back to Orbx's LC scenery, yeah the Global products and Regions each add an improvement layer on top of the base, and it's what I have.

Plus I also have Freemesh, HD buildings, Terra Flora and Terra Emergence, HD Grass, Rex Texture Direct with Soft Clouds, ASN, Accu-Feel, RealTurb and more. Together as a whole they improve the look, feel and dynamics of the sim. And with a 30 Hz capable monitor I'm able to VSync lock @ 30 FPS for a really smooth experience with high settings.

Below are a few links for download of freeware mentioned, noting they will enhance the Orbx LC scenery (but are not a magic bullet by themselves).

https://drzewiecki-design.net/prodDD_GrassX.htm

https://aleclercqcreations.blogspot.com/2018/05/terra-emergence-project.html

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/24690/fsx-freemeshx-global-terrain-mesh-scenery-20/

But for your current stuff you should also check your insertion points, order of, sync to the sim etc. and Lorby P3D Addon Organiser is a great and free tool to help manage scenery and addons with (do read the manual and take the time to learn it if you decide to use it).

Remembering if you're looking for that live VFR experience then choices are limited to photoreal True Earth types of scenery.

Cheers R

On 3/26/2021 at 9:47 PM, Quantum Amiga said:

Back to Orbx's LC scenery, yeah the Global products and Regions each add an improvement layer on top of the base, and it's what I have.

Plus I also have Freemesh, HD buildings, Terra Flora and Terra Emergence, HD Grass, Rex Texture Direct with Soft Clouds, ASN, Accu-Feel, RealTurb and more. Together as a whole they improve the look, feel and dynamics of the sim. And with a 30 Hz capable monitor I'm able to VSync lock @ 30 FPS for a really smooth experience with high settings.

Below are a few links for download of freeware mentioned, noting they will enhance the Orbx LC scenery (but are not a magic bullet by themselves).

https://drzewiecki-design.net/prodDD_GrassX.htm

https://aleclercqcreations.blogspot.com/2018/05/terra-emergence-project.html

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/24690/fsx-freemeshx-global-terrain-mesh-scenery-20/

But for your current stuff you should also check your insertion points, order of, sync to the sim etc. and Lorby P3D Addon Organiser is a great and free tool to help manage scenery and addons with (do read the manual and take the time to learn it if you decide to use it).

Remembering if you're looking for that live VFR experience then choices are limited to photoreal True Earth types of scenery.

Cheers R

I might mention that I have recently got a reverb G2 VR headset so I fly VR which might have significance regarding what to use.

I think the regions and some airports are fully acceptable for VFR but there seem to at least partly be problems with performance and also some anomaly but that is another subject in a new post about that.

What do you mean by insertion points, order of, sync to the sim ? Should it not be enough to install the Orbx title ?

Archived