My installation of KSEA shows the beacon light emanating from the bottom of the tower instead of the top.  The red arrows point to the light that bounces off of the top of the buildings.  The beacon behaves normally (circling the airport... it just does so from the bottom of the control tower rather than the top.  Had to take the pic at dusk to show the light problem.  I've been having the same problem for quite some time now.  My earlier .ini file was given the thumbs up by Jon, so I didn't think that it had anything to do with the scenery-packs.ini file - never-the-less, here it is.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Scott :) 

Beacon Light at KSEA too low.jpg

Log.txt scenery_packs.ini

@isfun2fly Here is a mod for the beacon height, kindly made by @Sentry11. You owe him a beer:)

Unzip and place above KSEA Demo which should also be above Global Airports in your scenery_packs.ini.

Make sure you read the readme text file to ensure correct installation especially regarding the included apt.dat file.

KSEA Beacon mod.zip

Yes, just got it installed.  I can see the "light" from the beacon, but as with all beacons in my "set up," none of them seem to have a "projected" beam of light (as was seen in the .jpg pic I took when the "beam" of light was emanating from the bottom of the control tower at KSEA.  Don't know if I have a setting "off" or if the beam of light simply does not project.  No worries though, the fix looks great - highly recommend to everyone.  Scott 

@isfun2fly  --  A light beam needs some object, or particles such as fog, rain or snow to reflect off of so it can be seen as a beam.

What you were to seeing on the original lower placed beacon was light reflecting off of nearby buildings as the beacon rotates.

In the first screenshot the weather is set to foggy on a night sky, and you can see a faint short beam reflecting off the fog.

On the second screenshot the beacon is placed lower, and the beacon light is now reflecting off of some nearby buildings on it's it's rotation.

If a more intense, or more focus beam is required then the light itself has to be re-created with different parameters to achieve that effect.

I'm afraid that what XP gives you for beacons is what you will have to contend with for now until something better is offered.

X-Plane 2021-03-12 01-52-06.jpg

X-Plane 2021-03-12 02-08-00.jpg

Thanks @Sentry11!  I was thinking along the lines you described, but thought I might ask if there was anything I was possibly missing with settings, etc.. I appreciate your great "fix."  Happy skies and thanks again!  Scott :)

Archived