New 1080ti.

Dadtom65

A bit misleading but not new. I just meant that I have acquired one. All installed ok and been running all day without any problems but with MSFS as I thought I would be able to run said sim in Ultra, no crashed first time. I thought it was a new Airport that I had bought but it was not. I definitely thought it would run ok now I have a decent graphics card but it seems not to be. I did have the developer mode on and the frame rate was all over the place. Tried it on high end it was fine no problems at all so what gives. My son said to try it in Ultra but to turn other items down a bit but you can not do that. It’s fine playing Valhalla every thing is maxed out but Fltsim no. Thanks Derek.

Some settings @ultra settings are just overkill, hard to see any difference between highend, If You could afford You could buy guide to MSFS by @SoFly there is chapter about optimizing settings, good starting point for tweaking. 

btw here is graphics chart of different GPUs @1440p

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ms_flight_simulator_(2020)_the_2021_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,7.html

Good for you Derek.  I am really pleased for you. :)  The GTX1080ti was one of the best cards Nvidia has produced and still is very capable.

This is just a "shot in the dark" but the way  you describe what is happening makes me wonder if you are running out of RAM.  I believe I remember reading that you had purchased an additional 16 GB , but you had difficulties and you were back on 16 GB.  Is this still the case?

Also what resolution are you using with the new card.  I assume you are back with the 2K monitor ...?

On my system at 1440p at KSBA , Santa Barbara which is my "check airport" with everything on Ultra I use 17.8 GB ram .  Turning things down to HIgh I don't save all that much , roughly about 0.9 GB.   Clouds make no difference .  Completely full weather or clear skies it still is about the same.

Everyone's system will be different of course, but it is the only thing that comes to mind.

This article may also be helpful as they looked at all components, rather than just the GPU.  Their ram requirements are consistent with my observations at 1440p , but they did find an interesting result using only 16 GB ram, which seems to suggest that this is not necessarily the issue

MS Flight Simulator 2020 Benchmarks: CPU, GPU, Memory Performance (premiumbuilds.com)

Cheers

Pete

Just a few screenshots so you  can visually see what I tested. 

Santa Barbara is not a very heavy airport in terms of complexity and the surrounding area isn't overly complex as you can see 

iHxjSQ3.jpg

vjaLCch.jpg

38uDkXP.jpg

RAM is still at 17.8 GB for these images as well.  All settings are on Ultra.  

bDg8btZ.jpg

QLrXQBH.jpg

Z21srIc.jpg

Hi Pete. Your right I am back to 16gb of ram. Scan would not except the ram back with out me first running test on the ram which I thought was a bit strange. I did try but I’m not very good at that sort of thing. One thing I found out is that most motherboards you are supposed to put the ram in the two slots further away from the cpu. I know you miss a slot. Think I found that out watching a few YouTube vids. Supposedly it’s marked on the motherboard. The sim is fine using is it high or very high. Thanks Derek.

7 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Meant to ask how does the Helicopter perform. Derek.

I find it extremely difficult. I only have a joystick, however the authors do say that it is very much a work in progress and many things related to controls are either non existent or only at the early stage of development.  But the latest update as of yesterday has improved things .  I managed to lift off , hover, move about and then land. Its a bit removed from time prime at the moment.

Cheers

Pete

7 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Pete. Your right I am back to 16gb of ram. Scan would not except the ram back with out me first running test on the ram which I thought was a bit strange. I did try but I’m not very good at that sort of thing. One thing I found out is that most motherboards you are supposed to put the ram in the two slots further away from the cpu. I know you miss a slot. Think I found that out watching a few YouTube vids. Supposedly it’s marked on the motherboard. The sim is fine using is it high or very high. Thanks Derek.

Thanks . Good to know its workable for you :)

I hope you have fun with it now.

Cheers

Pete

Archived