Dream MSFS Build for 2021?

Bandit

Alas despite all best efforts I have recently become yet another international aviation industry COVD casualty - So after 15 years worth redundancy cheque burning a hole in my pocket. Time for some retail therapy.

My old PC systems is well passed it and cant run MSFS20 in a pink fit so time for a new build. With.a little extra cash in the pocket I’m thinking of going all out to get the best performance I can. My thinking at this stage is one of two configurations

1) AMD 5950X

2) AMD ThreadRipper 3970X

both would have 64GB 4000MHZ RAM and a RTX 3090 GPU and dual 2TB M.2 Samsung 980 SSDs and cooling solutions to suit. I also plan to add a HP Reverb G2 VR headset at some point.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, PiotrMKG said:

It depends if You plan some productivity on in, if not, just MSFS I would go with 10900k overclocked to ca. 5,1GHz (5,3GHz if You get good chip) or even wait for 11900k. Threadripper is wierd option for gaming PC.

The idea with the ThreadRipper is based on more cores is better. I’ve seen videos of some great performance with such a config (RTX 3090 & AMD 3970X). I must admit that I don’t know how MSFS 2020 utilises multiple cores/threads. - Is it single core limited, limited to x number of cores or does it utilise as many cores/threads as are available.  The secondary question is will this change with the advent of DX12?

Well I settled with the

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • 64GB RAM 
  • 2 x 2TB Samsung Evo 980 M.2 nvME SSDs
  • ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC
  • HP Reverb G2 VR headset

Now I just need to decide wheter to use Steam or Windows Store for the FS purchase 

I think Ill use Orbx Direct for Orbx addons.

i just built a new system. works pretty well: 5800x, msi 3080 suprim, all pcie 4.0 nvme storage, 32gb ddr4. Fair to say it goes like stink. Only thing that gets it really warm is Prepar3d 5.1.. msfs barely breaks a sweat on max settings (when msfs is not crashing to desktop due to addons)

On 2/24/2021 at 9:44 AM, Bandit said:

Well I settled with the

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • 64GB RAM 

Now I just need to decide wheter to use Steam or Windows Store for the FS purchase 

Went direct Windows Store for FS2020, upon release knew it was going Steam too, both stores are clunky IMHO, LOL, for normal stuff I prefer Steam, but since this was a Microsoft release went with their store ... both work, despite what folk say :)

You can buy Orbx add ons from within FS2020 marketplace or separately from Orbx direct, buy them direct from Orbx myself.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:50 AM, PiotrMKG said:

It depends if You plan some productivity on in, if not, just MSFS I would go with 10900k overclocked to ca. 5,1GHz (5,3GHz if You get good chip) or even wait for 11900k. Threadripper is wierd option for gaming PC.

I’d say that while the superfast read speeds of a new gen pcie 4 nvme drive are largely overkill for most applications, they make a difference for p3d load times. Worth considering a Ryzen 5000 and board for this reason alone

@David Woodford load times yes, but after loading fps doesn’t go any higher. In my case I start MSFS in the meantime I’m starting to prepare for a flight ( launching Navigraph charts, pilot2atc, volanta, rex, simbrief) before I’m done with it sim could have been launched 3 times out of ordinary SSD. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 3:44 AM, Bandit said:

Well I settled with the

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • 64GB RAM 

I too will be going the AMD CPU route (FOMO) with my next new build for MSFS - especially with DX12 and multi-core utilization rumored to come soon. 

AMD is a great choice for future proofing your system.

I received this new rig yesterday from Aftershock PC (Aust) - it's a beauty.

I installed MSFS overnight. I took a quick spin around SYD in the Cirrus SR22. Smooth as butter running on the recommended Ultra defaults out of the box. Man what an improvement over my old FSX setup! I was able to do the obligatory VFR over my home with ease.

I also splashed out and bought a Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Bravo throttle quadrant as well as the HP Reverb G2 VR headset (#FullyInvested). Time to install them next.

As for the MSFS install, I mistakenly bought the DVD boxed version of Premium (despite not having a DVD in my new rig) thinking I'd keep the box etc. as part of my MS FS collection. I thought I could just install the online version and not need the DVD using the in-box activation code - WRONG!!  I got so frustrated trying to work out the cryptic MS install instructions and faffing around with redeeming codes in the MS Store that I just gave in a purchased a fresh install from MS Store online.  I gather  Asobo is responsible for the DVD install process but MS insists upon the activation process - between the two of them its a @#!$# mess!  Note to MS/Asobo - guys you really have to sort out the install process/experience here. Its unnecessarily convoluted.

Bandit, yes I remember the initial purchase dilema of FS2020, a potential competitor of Orbx were offering the boxed version too, decided against it, so then had to decide Steam or MS Store, love Steam for regular games, but this was coming from Microsoft in the first instance so went with them, in hindsight, it would have been smoother with steam, my experience with MS and all the junk you have to sign up for is fairy convoluted, jump through hoops quite often, Steam is more straightforward IMHO.

Was on initial Alpha and Beta release of FS2020, exciting times in early days, not so happy any-more about it, seems to be one step fwd and 3 steps back bug wise, its still an amazing looking sim of course and so was FS2004 and FSX when they started, but both took ages to mature.

To put my thoughts into perspective on FS2020 just now, this was one early video release from a well respected member of our FS community, please watch it again, WOW, it seemed incredible, so many promises for out the box, its functionality in fidelity in aerodynamics especially, flow over the wings, the weather and more ... none of Squirrels video has still to be realised ... it was released far to early IMHO and is a massive bug chase.

That does not mean its not an amazing sim, it very much is, but still raw IMHO ... how long did it take for FSX to mature and with P3D too, its going to take same amount of time too for FS2020 at least.

Check this vid again please from what was promised, hardly any of it has made it and that was from 2019.

The guy is a great reviewer, but he is a Gamer first and formost and reviews all sorts of games far removed from Flight Sim.

Yes I do remember MSFS came with great fanfare and high hopes touting great advancements. I could see early on it was going to be a massive hill to climb to achieve this. I well remember the uphill journey that was FSX so this time round I waited for a bit and didn't dive into beta or first releases. Its obvious this is no small undertaking.  From what little I've seen in the past few days of running MSFS so far, I have to admit  its a great improvement over FSX. Yes it will take time to grow but that's a journey I'm willing to join in on if it - especially if the FS 3rd party community is allowed to come along. So far MS and Asobo seem to have embraced the 3rd party support which I think is great. Admittedly they need to work out the wrinkles (as seen with the issues the recent UK update caused) but I think they will get there. 

My first screenshot in MSFS! (and my 1,000th post on Orbx forums to boot!)

Departing YPPF in the Cirrus SR22 - Happy to report that I am getting over 45FPS in Ultra at 5120x1440. Currently rnning on 2 ASSUS 27" monitors joined under nvidia control panel. Hopefully my Samsung Odyssey G9 will arrive tomorrow.

iEV2Se2.jpg

Archived