AI Behaviour YMML

CraigyW

Hi All

I am seeing strange behaviour in YMML where all Qantas B738 (FAIB) taxi for runway 09 regardless of the prevailing wind conditions while the other aircraft taxi for the into wind runway. Does anyone have any idea as to why this could be happening and how it can be resolved? 

Cheers

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning to Down Under, Nick. 

You mean, that I need the Orbx AI Traffic Australia and New Zealand? 

Those I have installed aside Australia v2 and YMML

on top of Ultimate Traffic Live. 

Is the latter one the culprit? 

Andreas

Nick, 

in order to provide some more information: 

The AI aircraft and my own flight are advised to use runway 09 despite the fact that (right now according to ASN) the wind blows 248°@6. 

Some AI aircraft are said to use runway 16, which is fine for the given situation, especially for heavy aircraft. 

However, that the Emirates A380s shall use runway 09 with tail wind is not realistic at all. 

Meanwhile I unstalled Orbx AU/NZ traffic, no change, as far as I can see: 

Take off and landings on runways 09 and 16, 09 nok, 16 ok. 

I don't think it is the AI traffic. 

Before doing it the other way round, ie. Ultimate Traffic off, Orbx AU/NZ traffic on, I try to manipulate the bgl file: 

If I remember correctly, the last runway in the runway list is of highes priority. 

The delivered file shows the crosswind runways decrementing down from runway 16 in the usual 6.3° steps to runway 09/27

(which is correctly the first in list with least priority). 

I give it a try and incrementing up from runway 16/34 (last in the list) to runway 27/09 (first in the list). 

I think you will find this is a quirk of P3D V4 which has been corrected in P3D V5.

When you set up a crosswind runway, the second runway in the setup it tricked into being parallel to the first runway and therefore responds to the weather accordingly. With V4 the second runway in the list was the driver, for YMML this is rwy 16/34. For V5 this has been changed back to the first runway in the list ie. rwy 09/27.

Testing at YMML in P3D V5 using the same AFCAD, with the same weather (248°@6), traffic use runways 16 and 27.

The runway an AI aircraft uses to depart is driven by the position of the parking spot the aircraft is departing from relative to the runways.. The AI aircraft will go to the runway nearest that parking spot. This distance is calculated from the centre of the parking spot to the centre line of the runway and is hard coded into the P3D system, It cannot be overwritten. A number of airports have runway allocations hard coded by aircraft size but YMML is not one of those.

For YMML, all the Qantas Domestic parking spots are nearest rwy 9/27 as are some of the spots at the International Terminal. Unfortunately this includes the spot used by the Qantas A380. I am currently doing some work on YMML and will look at rearranging the parking to address this issue.

The runway an AI aircraft uses to land on is determined by the direction the aircraft is coming from. For YMML most of the larger aircraft come from a northerly direction so therefore use rwy 16/34.

I hope this clarifies this issue. 

On 3/10/2021 at 2:29 AM, Graham Eccleston said:

I think you will find this is a quirk of P3D V4 which has been corrected in P3D V5.

When you set up a crosswind runway, the second runway in the setup it tricked into being parallel to the first runway and therefore responds to the weather accordingly. With V4 the second runway in the list was the driver, for YMML this is rwy 16/34. For V5 this has been changed back to the first runway in the list ie. rwy 09/27.

Testing at YMML in P3D V5 using the same AFCAD, with the same weather (248°@6), traffic use runways 16 and 27.

The runway an AI aircraft uses to depart is driven by the position of the parking spot the aircraft is departing from relative to the runways.. The AI aircraft will go to the runway nearest that parking spot. This distance is calculated from the centre of the parking spot to the centre line of the runway and is hard coded into the P3D system, It cannot be overwritten. A number of airports have runway allocations hard coded by aircraft size but YMML is not one of those.

For YMML, all the Qantas Domestic parking spots are nearest rwy 9/27 as are some of the spots at the International Terminal. Unfortunately this includes the spot used by the Qantas A380. I am currently doing some work on YMML and will look at rearranging the parking to address this issue.

The runway an AI aircraft uses to land on is determined by the direction the aircraft is coming from. For YMML most of the larger aircraft come from a northerly direction so therefore use rwy 16/34.

I hope this clarifies this issue. 

Thanks, Graham, for the infos. 

With my little rearranged bgl it also works fine for me now. 

Yes, that also the A380 like to take off from runway 27 is a bit unrealistic, but some difference from the reality might have to be accecpted. 

If it unbearable, one needs to 'close' runway 09/27. 

Flight simming around the world, my escapism during Corona!    8^D

Archived