How much VRAM for 1440p @ Ultra in MSFS

PiotrMKG

Today I was just sunday simming and got an idea to check how much VRAM MSFS uses. It turns out that it can be quite a bit. So if You want to play ultra settings @ 1440p and don't run out of VRAM I would strongly suggest getting 2080Ti or 6800XT. I'm curious how much VRAM MSFS will use over London after UK update.

paris2.jpg

paris3.jpg

Hi Piotr

I think what you have done here is an incredibly helpful idea that with a bit of help from other members could form a database under a known condition for bench marking/testing conditions.  So I would encourage others to also include their results at other resolutions/configurations to expand the idea :)

Here are my results and in one respect I found them to be quite interesting.  Like you I am at a resolution of 2560x1440p with all settings on Ultra. I have an RTX2060 super with a i7-9700K at 4.9 ghz , 32 gb memory at 3600 mz.  I have my frame rate locked externally in Nvidia Control panel at 30 fps, which I have found for my configuration gives me a very fluid/ stutter free experience.

I have tried to duplicate closely your flight location and altitude .  What I found interesting though is at this resolution I use between 7.5 - 7.7 GB Vram which works nicely with my RTX2060.

Here are a series of screenshots which I made. I also use GPU-Z as it gives a graph of gpu usage.

Thank you for doing this and for the excellent job you have been doing documenting your build of your new system :)

What you do is not only interesting but also very helpful from a multitude of perspectives.

All the best

Pete

All screenshots have been resampled down to 1920x1080p for presentation.

IOpIaqk.jpg

The "blotch of red" is because of my external frame rate limit

JE9zVJ8.jpg

This is the same screenshot as above, but I have also included the gpu-z output

2CH3oyJ.jpg

And lastly, I adjusted the viewing perspective to capture as close as I could the perspective ratio of land/sky that you show in your screenshot. I was intertested if

VRAM usage would change but as you can see it is very similar to the previous values

tIJLBh4.jpg

And just the full image without the results data

U7DRSl6.jpg

I have just gone through the process of research in order to get 'the best' MSFS pc - inside my budget ofcourse and one of the remarkable things I learned from one of the many testing videos I have watched, is, that one can better go for faster memory than more memory. Ofcourse your motherboard must be able to handle the speed of the memory too. Finally I also came to 32 Gb at 3600 Mhz. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived