TE England SE & Central Night Light and distance issue

sam686

Hi Guys, 

I wonder if you can help me, I have both True Earth scenery packs SE and Central. The issue happens on both packs and is to do with my night lighting. Randomly the night lighting will disappear as you see in my attached picture and then randomly come back. The attached is zoomed in so you can see some building lights and you can see that the scenery pack is there because of the buildings being loaded in but the night lights come and go. 

The night lights will always load in to the sim however the disappearance would normally happen between the flight. Im not using no lua scripts other than a cloud based one called VesXV.lua. 

An additional issue that i would also like to raise is that when flying the lights look like the only take up half of my field of view distance. (When working correctly) is there a way i can maximise the view distance of the lights as the normal day time scenery looks to be just fine. 

I have tried to do my own research or look through the forum to see if anyone has had any similar issues but I haven't been lucky enough to come across anything. 

Many Thanks 

Sam 

no lights.PNG

• sam686 changed the title to TE England SE & Central Night Light and distance issue

Set the XP visual effects slider in the graphic settings to "High HDR)" and give it a try.

If that doesn't solve the lighting problem then temporary remove all third party plugins from XP's plugin folder except XP's plugins and it's other files in there and then give it a go.

8 hours ago, Sentry11 said:

Set the XP visual effects slider in the graphic settings to "High HDR)" and give it a try.

If that doesn't solve the lighting problem then temporary remove all third party plugins from XP's plugin folder except XP's plugins and it's other files in there and then give it a go.

The XP settings pic from @sam686 shows his XP Visual Effects settings already at High. Raising it higher still may increase the lights effect etc, but I think that one of many lighting mods would achieve what he is looking for.

I use Enhanced Lights and EXT_World_Lights. Here is a link to another mod which will do exactly what you want:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/55409-enhanced-x-plane-11-night-lights-and-graphic-quality/

Also Sam have you not tried using Vulkan as this allows higher settings to be set and higher FPS? Your pic shows Vulkan as disabled so you must be using OpenGL.

Hi Guys, 

Thank you both for trying to help me solve the issue. I think the main issue here is that the Orbx scenery night lights dissappear through flight and come back again. The Orbx night lights across England from the packs that I bought from Orbx look really good when working. 

With Vulkan, I only have a gtx 1070 so with buildings on max I'm getting around 25 to 35. I'm concerned if I start bumping everything up to max its going to kill my FPS. Hence why I haven't really looked in to or know any knowledge about Vulkan. 

I'm just struggling to understand why the Orbx night lights come and go and when they do go, the scenery looks like attached which I hope you guys would agree is not right. 

Hi Tony, 

No the houses are all looking good its literally just the night lights. I am yet to try on Vulkan hoping g to get around to this tomorrow and will post an update. Is there any way that I can increase drawing distance ? 

Many Thanks 

Sam 

Yes you can hack it somewhat, but it's not easy... the lights are just the default X-Plane streetlights that are placed along roads. If it were our own lights objects we could increase the LOD distance of them, but hacking at default objects is not recommended. What is a mystery is why your system is culling these lights and others aren't.

You can try one of the hacks here:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36942-night-city-textures-extended-lights-lod/

This one will change the LOD values for the lights, but it will impact performance all around. I've not tried it myself, but I know others have used similar and got decent results.

Let us know if this works for you.

Hi, 

I am not too bothered about the render distance, its more of a concern about the night lights randomly disappearing and coming back. lt did it again when I was testing on a flight from Paris to Gatwick last night. Standard night lights in France was fine got over the channel obrx scenery started showing in the distance (including night lights) I was at around 15,000. A couple of minutes more flying, night lights disappeared scenery showed exactly like the screenshot in this thread. Then approaching Gatwick at around 10,000 they came back and stayed there until end of flight. Just to ad the night lights or night scenery that I use over Paris DID NOT disappear like Orbx.

I have tried vulkan setting however when I enable it, I choose my airport stand with in xplane and when I load into the flight the sim crashes on zibo part of the load when vulkan is ticked. So unless anyone know why that could be or if we are confident that could resolve my night light issue I am happy to troubleshoot. 

I would just like to say thank you to all who has commented and trying to help so far, I do really aprechiate it and hopefully we can get this resolved together soon to then add to the knowledge base if any other sim users have the same problem. 

Tonight I will try and get some video content of the issue to maybe help you guys determine what could be wrong.

Many Thanks 

Sam 

• 3 weeks later...

This is such a difficult problem to solve as it is not a widely reported issue.

Please try the lighting mod that Tony suggested.

I will again ask Tony for a comment but I am unsure he can offer any solution. It doesn't happen on his PC and nor on mine.

@Tony Wroblewski please look at the 2nd vid around the 1.28 sec mark through to the end of the vid.

Archived