Is there any kind of ETA on when stuff like this will be fixed?

I know v5 added something I think to do with PBR that was causing things to show through clouds, or to show up weirdly dark against the terrain like this, and I know Orbx stuff has disclaimers about not being wholly v5 compatible where applicable, but I don't recall seeing anything about when the fix for this can be expected. Is this an Orbx fix that's needed? Is it something you need fixed inside of P3D? For context, this is taken of TE GB North in P3D v5.1 with EA/HDR on.

Thanks!

2020-12-21_23-41-35-826.png

Hello,

TEGB North is a large area.

Could you give give me an idea of where that is please?

This known problem was identified some time ago and fixed by the release of P3D version 5.1.12.26829.

Is that the version you are using?

As it is the version that I am using, at present I cannot replicate your problem.

15 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

TEGB North is a large area.

Could you give give me an idea of where that is please?

This known problem was identified some time ago and fixed by the release of P3D version 5.1.12.26829.

Is that the version you are using?

As it is the version that I am using, at present I cannot replicate your problem.

That was departing EGPH to the southwest. As far as I know I'm using the updated version of P3D, I installed the v5.1 HF when it came out

9 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks, are all four parts the same?

You can check in the Programs and features section of your Windows control panel.

Client and Scenery were. Content was not. I've updated that. Does the 4th one, just "Prepar3d v5 Academic" also need to be updated? When the HF came out I thought the instructions were just to update scenery and client.

5 hours ago, MediumRareBaku said:

@Nick Cooper I've just finished a full, clean re installation of P3D with the latest version and am still seeing it -- any ideas? Also did a clean re installation of TE GB.

Please give coords when posting screenshots for support, as it allows any team member to start the sim and see if the problem can be duplicated.  As it is I can only look and wonder.

Hello,

I am guessing that this is still leaving Edinburgh to the southwest.

I am unable to replicate this at all, using any of the weather presets, or indeed ActiveSky for P3D v5

and a variety of cloudy scenes.

Can you say how your weather is generated and if it is a preset, which one please?

Sorry, this would have been in this area, leaving Manchester towards the west/northwest, most likely looking back towards Liverpool:

image.thumb.png.ccb87133a18373487ee047aeccf36a81.png

I use Active Sky P3D for weather, nothing else, default settings at the moment, and though I need to tune some of the effects, I didn't have before and don't use now anything that would tweak it visually.

I've just done some testing and I can't replicate what you're seeing, with the default P3D texture set for clouds.  Attached is a link to a video of flying somewhere in the vicinity of Manchester with Active Sky set to a couple of days ago for those scattered cumulus clouds.  As you can see there are no buildings showing through the clouds.

I can get the dark shapes to show if I set visibility to 3 miles and climb high, and then I see the dark buildings showing through the haze.  It looks very much to me like the buildings are too far away for the textures to be present and the textureless shapes are showing through the haze.

It looks to me now like your clouds are being generated as haze or visibility textures, they're much softer and transparent than the default, so I suspect it's something that Orbx has no control over.

5 hours ago, MediumRareBaku said:

@John Dow Do you have EA enabled in that video? Those don't look like EA clouds, those look like default clouds.

I just set up the flight out of Manchester again, rechecked that EA is ticked, and set fair weather preset to give average cumulus clouds.

Here is the result, nice volumetric clouds with nothing showing through.

952663816_EAsetting2.thumb.png.b3cbfa5c7d8a96f3329693c690ac153e.png

1537396158_EAsettings.thumb.png.4e7c781a59d75ff22775b7017c41f27e.png

On 12/30/2020 at 11:34 PM, John Dow said:

I can get the dark shapes to show if I set visibility to 3 miles and climb high, and then I see the dark buildings showing through the haze.  It looks very much to me like the buildings are too far away for the textures to be present and the textureless shapes are showing through the haze.

It looks to me now like your clouds are being generated as haze or visibility textures, they're much softer and transparent than the default, so I suspect it's something that Orbx has no control over

If this is the case, what would I do to address it?

4 hours ago, MediumRareBaku said:

If this is the case, what would I do to address it?

I have no idea as I don't know what programs you have installed or what your settings are. All I can tell you is that a default P3DV5 install with the latest update, and the Orbx TE scenery, produces the result I have shown in the screenshot. Any texture or weather addon such as Rex or AS may be creating the problem, you can try disabling any such addons and see if the default program gives you the same as I am getting. 

If that is the case you'll need to explore solutions with the relevant developers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived