Question about SoFly Themes

Are the cloud in the themes based of AGL of the starting airport?

If I start at an at say 4000 feet and fly to something at 1000 feet, what will the weather be like (at a minimum I'll have 3000 foot ceilings)?

Is temperature dynamic or the same for each theme?

11 hours ago, pilotjohn said:

Are the cloud in the themes based of AGL of the starting airport?

If I start at an at say 4000 feet and fly to something at 1000 feet, what will the weather be like (at a minimum I'll have 3000 foot ceilings)?

Is temperature dynamic or the same for each theme?

Hi there,

The themes are based on AGL settings. The weather will simply show as clouds/mist/sun/fog/rain depending on the theme you use at that altitude. You can always adjust them in the menu setting if you have a specific condition in mind.

The temperature is different depending on the theme. E.g. Cold themes have cold temps / warm weather have warm temps and so forth.

Hope that helps.

Jon - thanks for the tag.

The setting isn't airport specific. The ceilings would typically be the same regardless of airport and the elevation. 

There may be some slight variation as MSFS depicts clouds at slight variations (we found anyway) even with the min/max cloud ceiling.

On 12/7/2020 at 4:34 AM, SoFly said:

The setting isn't airport specific. The ceilings would typically be the same regardless of airport and the elevation. 

There may be some slight variation as MSFS depicts clouds at slight variations (we found anyway) even with the min/max cloud ceiling.

Right, that makes sense for the starting airport, but my question is specifically about the airport at my destination. Could someone test this?

For example, let's say I set up weather (clouds at 200 AGL) and start at KLXV (9900 MSL) and fly to 1V6 (5400 MSL) in a 20 minute flight. Will I still have clouds at 200 AGL at 1V6, or will they be clouds at 10000 MSL (essentially making 1V6 VFR).

12 hours ago, pilotjohn said:

Right, that makes sense for the starting airport, but my question is specifically about the airport at my destination. Could someone test this?

For example, let's say I set up weather (clouds at 200 AGL) and start at KLXV (9900 MSL) and fly to 1V6 (5400 MSL) in a 20 minute flight. Will I still have clouds at 200 AGL at 1V6, or will they be clouds at 10000 MSL (essentially making 1V6 VFR).

I think you can test this by yourself using MSFS default weather themes. Because as I understand it, SoFly has not changed the MSFS weather engine, but created some stunning weather themes.

Archived