DIY Switch Panel Advice

rockliffe

Hi Guys, I thought I'd pop this on here becasue I have not had any response on Avsim. I need to be upfront and honest, I have very little interest or ability in electronics, hence why my currrent cockpit is full of pre-built panels. I want to build a new, redesigned generic MIP. However, I no longer want to use the Saitek panels which I already have, and would like to build a switch panel that has some simple switches which gives me functionality for things such as lights, wipers, landing gear etc. I also need to have an option for button pushes for AP reset/AT reset FMC reset etc for the NGX. I'd also like to have a knob to control instrument lighting in the NGX too. But, as I say, I have very, very limited knowledge of electronics and none of building switch panels. From what information I have gleaned from searching online and watching YT videos, it is a pretty straightforward process to wire up the buttons/switches to a board and then a USB to the PC. But I'm sure it really isn't that easy in practice. eg, what board do I need? what rotating switches do I need? What about the connections and different switches? Will they be recognised by FSUIPC or LINDA? I'm sure I'm coming across as a complete dullard, but if someone could point me towards some information that could help, or perhaps offer some personal advice, I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks fellas, appreciated.

Not helping you with your request but just asking if you have thought about something more generic like an Elgato Streamdeck for customising push buttons etc? It’s very flexible and great for the majority of digital switches. It does lack analog dials though but could be part of the solution for you. 

41 minutes ago, Donka said:

Not helping you with your request but just asking if you have thought about something more generic like an Elgato Streamdeck for customising push buttons etc? It’s very flexible and great for the majority of digital switches. It does lack analog dials though but could be part of the solution for you. 

Hi Donka, sure, I have come across this product. I have to say, I think it's pretty expensive. I'm also unsure just how compatible it will be with both P3dV4 and MSFS? It limits me to just buttons though, when I really want to have switches too. ;)

6 minutes ago, rockliffe said:

Hi Donka, sure, I have come across this product. I have to say, I think it's pretty expensive. I'm also unsure just how compatible it will be with both P3dV4 and MSFS? It limits me to just buttons though, when I really want to have switches too. ;) EDIT: Hmm, just had a closer look on a YouTube video. Unsure it's for me, but thanks for the heads up. It does look like it could have some value all the same. Cheers.

Yup, I picked up one second hand and it’s been a great tool to save me remembering keyboard shortcuts between the various sims. You can configure the buttons to toggle between two states, effectively creating a switch, but as I say it lacks analog controls and doesn’t offer the feel of a more tactile button box. 

Hello Howard. I use Leo Bodnar boards and LINDA. It's not that hard, although the programming side can get a bit involved depending on what you need to do.  I wrote a little book on what I did. The same info is in all there in my Twin Otter videos, it's just a bit more spread out :)

6 hours ago, Joerg Picard said:

I'm using an Arduino board with Air Manager software. It's still work in process but relatively straight forward to hook up the switches. You need to know a little bit of how to program in LUA.

Thanks Joerg

3 hours ago, MarkH said:

Hello Howard. I use Leo Bodnar boards and LINDA. It's not that hard, although the programming side can get a bit involved depending on what you need to do.  I wrote a little book on what I did. The same info is in all there in my Twin Otter videos, it's just a bit more spread out :)

Hi Mark, wow , a book! I will take a closer look at that. After my current build, I would like to build an overhead panel but at the moment that's a little beyond my capabilities. ;) I have actually found a second hand GoFlight button panel which effectively gives me what I want. I also have the switch panel too, so for the immediate future I am covered. But thanks for the heads up about your book.

Archived