Orbx Scenery not working

davevalenti

I was excited to try your scenery but after 4 days and over 20 hours of my time it still doesn't work. i only get X-plane default scenery.

1. I purchased the Southern California HD (Your transaction ID / receipt number is 5fac880c6a6e1.)

2. Installed and ran Orbx Central

3. Downloaded So Cal Scenery (over 20 hours on my DSL connection.)

4. Completed installation into a library on my SSD drive

NO Orbx Scenery when running x- plane.

5. Read support files and I made multiple changes in the order of Custom_Scenery.ini file

STILL NO SCENERY

6. Uninstalled it to reinstall in X-plane directory to see if that would fix it (another 20 hour download!).

7. ERROR on reinstall and ran x-plane and all I got was water scenery in So Cal.

8. Migrated files back to Library using Orbx Central

9. Scenery is now still X-Plane default. NO Orbx scenery

I have had it. I use x-plane as an instrument trainer so at the end of the day scenery is nice but irrelevant to IFR operations.

I would like a refund or preferably someone to help get this purchased software up and running.

Thanks,

Dave V.

Log.txt scenery_packs.ini

What area of Global Scenery have you got in your XP directory? Do you have Worldwide global scenery or just certain areas?

Are you getting any on screen error messages?

I am sure we can resolve the issue assuming the addon was installed correctly which appears to have been according to the Log file and also as it appears in the scenery pacsk.ini.

What are the sizes of the TE Socal folders in your Custom Scenery folder?

Also run the Verify files option for TE SoCal in  Orbx Central.

To have just water is baffling as the addon works fine so it is something your end and we need to find out what it is.

Your scenery_packs.ini looks just fine.

Do you get just water if you run default scenery in a SoCal location? Do you get water if you run anywhere in the West Coast USA?

Not sure why but the water went away and the So Cal places I've been all are X-plane default graphics. Specifically I watched a video of your Catalina Island graphics and it looks so great but mine is the standard x-plane with crummy palm trees, no flag pole etc

I'll get back to you about thee Worldwide Global Scenery. I'll also check the sizes of the TE SoCal files. I alrady ran the Verify Files application.

Thanks for getting back to me on a Sunday!

Dave

i'm not sure what global scenery I have in  X-plane but I'm pretty sure I loaded the full default installation.

Attached is a copy of the SoCal Library directory showing a total of 162 Gigs.

I am not getting any on screen error messages ( did before I migrated the install from X-plane directory to Orbx library using Orbx Central)

image.thumb.png.9f2d5785d7cc339967dbb0318747438e.png

The Custom Scenery Folder has multiple folders with shortcut icons on them. Each one has properties of many gigabytes. Here's an image of one of them:

image.thumb.png.d99d37542cff6e34eaa6a995c31578f5.pngimage.thumb.png.6cec0ce91a039538b8d563f860976b4c.png

Also I am running on two computers. Master machine is instuments only and slave machine is external visuals only. i installed Orbx on the External Visuals slave machine only. Even when I run x-plane on that machine not connected to the master machine it still does not show the Orbx scenery. It should work either way in my o

pinion.

The info you now supply about running a master and slave PC system base is not something i am familiar with. Does the TEGB Demo work?

Did you follow the complete guide lines on how to migrate the addon from the XP directory Custom Scenery folder to the new Library folder you created?

Have you run the Sync Simulator facility in Orbx Central/Help as per the attached pic?

239044362_SyncSimpic.thumb.JPG.594bab09e406e7c45c820f3ebc965717.JPG

I followed all the instructions to migrade from the XP directory. The scenery didn't work in the xp directory either. The TEGB Demo does not work either.
I have run the Sync Simulator and it says it was synchronized successfully.
Attached is a picture of what I am seeing in my system compared to another pic of what it is supposed to look like as per another demo video online.
Also attached is a copy of my log file if that might help.

This is what it is supposed to look like

image.thumb.png.a8daada7171a2676b7f3428fbb5d1623.png

This is what mine looks like after all my installation efforts, verifying files, synchronizing simulator, etc.

image.thumb.png.ed6133be312690cdf4214e8ee7f91aeb.png

Did you create the shortcuts in your Custom Scenery folder? I ask because if you did then did you make them from the Library.

Difficult to explain so i will add pics which I ask you to comment on regarding the creation of those shortcuts.

I have SoCal SD in a Library called Orbx pic 1:

I then open that folder and get a Custom Scenery folder pic 2:

I then open that folder and finally get the 4 files of SoCal,pic3. It is those 4 files that require shortcuts to be made from. None of the previous folders in pics 1 or 2 will let the scenery show. You must make the shortcuts directly from the folders in pic 3.

You may have done that but I cannot tell hence I need you to tell me.

PIC 1.

Pic1.JPG.e2a38d7243bc431e369b5e93e76da0e4.JPG

PIC2

pic2.JPG.7fa1f73020de3fc35a2a513e95a8d361.JPG

PIC3

pic3.JPG.94439da5da7385c08c9318f94e17134c.JPG

I didn't do anything except transfer the files using Orbx Central. I don't know how to make a shortcut or tell if a shortcut exists. Except to say in the x-plane custom scenery folder all the Orbx folders have little arrows on them suggesting shortcuts. How do you tell if there are shortcuts and how to you create them.

Thanks,

Dave

(I really want these to work so I can buy and install more scenery!)

Open the files as I showed in the 3 pics. When you get to the 4 files as in pic 3, right click the mouse and choose the Create Shortcut option for each of the 4 folders.. When done cut and paste the 4 files into your Custom Scenery folder. delete the ones that are there at the moment as these will replace them.

I believe the current issue is due to the migration process.

Run XP and then exit. Open Custom Scenery folder and make sure the 3 folders of Custom, Overlay and Orthos are directly below Global Airports.

Place the SoCal airports file above Global Airports.

Did all the above. Still just default x-plane scenery. Attached is a copy of my scenery_packs.ini file with the new shortcuts linking to the d:drive library.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this. I really like what your scenery is supposed to look like but given the number of hours I've spent trying to make it work I don't know if it's worth it.  It seems like your software platform is very robust but I have had nothing but failures. The only difference now compared to before I started is it takes way longer to load the scenery files than it used to but the scenery is just the default like the pic I sent yesterday.

Have you ever had this much trouble before? I don't understand...

Thanks,

Dave

scenery_packs.ini

Then when you do that try the following.

set the "texture quality" slider to the extreme right to "high".

And the "number of world objects" slider to the extreme right to "high".

Set reflections slider to the left 1 or 2 notches.

"Antialiasing" slider 1 or 2 notches to the left.

"Anisotropic Filtering" slider to the left 1 or 2 notches.

After adjusting the XP Graphic settings, was there any improvement at all?

Can you also re-run the XP installer again checking for missing, or corrupt files?

Also I see your using several monitors, could you try running XP with one monitor, and one PC only, your main ones?

I have a wopping 70 frames per second even with high settings using Vulkan. Still no ORBS scenery.

I booted up my one computer (other computer turned off) and connected only one monitor to it. I updated the X-plane which checked all the files, etc. I don't really want to delete my copy of x-plane because I'll have to reinstall all my aircraft, reality-xp Garmin software, etc. I've already spent enough time on this attempted project I'd rather not have the scenery than do all that extra work.

I don't know what else to do.

My startup "loading new scenery" bar at the bottom of the screen takes forever now so it's doing something. I have never seen a hint of Orbx scenery despite all the above efforts.

It is normal for XP running under Vulkan to take a longer time loading when run first time.

I would like to see a screenshot of KSMO - Santa Monica at about 1000 ft,wide view to see what your seeing.

Do you have room to install a basic second copy of XP?

That screenshot looks not to bad, but lets try downloading a second basic copy of XP and see if there is any change, or difference.

No third party plugins like "pilotedge or gizmo", just the basic Laminar XP plugins.

include shortcuts to the following like Jon showed you into your "Custom Scenery" folder

Orbx_A_US_SoCal_Airports

Orbx_A_US_SoCal_TE_Custom
Orbx_A_US_SoCal_TE_Overlay

Orbx_A_US_SoCal_TE_Orthos

With your main PC and one monitor only connected take another screenshot of the same scene at KSMO, and compare.

I did all these things and no scenery on my new x-plane install and the original x-plane install. Now the original x-plane install crashes on all southern california locations.

I have wasted over 40 hours trying to make your scenery work. Very disappointed but I cannot spend more time on this. 

If I can get a refund let me know.

I really wanted to have this work.

Can you tell me how to completely uninstall your scenery so my x-plane will work in SoCal. Last time I uninstalled it I got error messages.

Thank you,

Dave Valenti

image.thumb.png.a74e452877f3c545d5d1f92bc8163e50.png

Here is a screen shot of the Catalina airport. Actually worse than the original default x-plane scenery.

You need to use Orbx Central. Open it and click on the addon you want to uninstall. An example of how is in  the attached pic.

The addons work fine so it must be something your end Dave and i feel your disappointment and frustration but bar uninstalling all the addons and testing a default flight with default scenery to ensure XP is actually working correctly, I can offer no further advice.

Try the uninstalling the Orbx addons. Then rename your Custom Scenery folder to Custom Scenery.BAK. Make a new Custom Scenery folder and copy/paste Global Airports from the .BAK folder to the new Custom Scenery folder.. Now install one of the TE addons. Make sure your Temp folder for the download is on a drive with enough free space on it, and same for the onstalltion drive.

Make sure the is below Global airports and is Custom/Overlay/Ortho by checking the scenery_packs.ini

Capture.thumb.JPG.8ee542086f0a360532dd1d25f0b751d4.JPG

Archived