[ANSWERED] Using Instant Scenery Objects from FTX

fltsimguy

This is a question about using Instant Scenery objects that are part of FTX or for that matter any other payware scenery. I am working on some freeware sceneries, ie Port Hardy Airport that will be compatible with FTX-PNW.  Instant Scenery picks (reads) all scenery folders as you are aware and it is possible to incorporate objects from payware sceneries into the compiled 'bgl'.  So the 'bgl' might contain freeware and payware combinations of objects.

Objects from payware would only show up if a user has purchased and installed the scenery into FSX.  However, if a person does not have the payware scenery only the freeware objects would show up.  In this was it is possible to do a scenery that will be both a 'lite' version with freeware objects showing up for those without the payware and a more deluxe version where the user has the payware scenery.

Of course no payware objects and their corresponding textures would be included into the distribution of the scenery. For that matter no freeware objects would be included but the author would only reference the required freeware and payware sceneries required for all aspects of the scenery to be visable.

Is it OK to 'add' objects to a compiled 'bgl' and distribute the scenery to users as freeware yet not actually included any payware objects and textures, in effect on the reference to them as incorporated into the 'bgl'.  I hope I am being clear about my interest.

FYI I have attached a "draft" screenie of my FTX - Port Hardy which is under construction.

Posted Image

I'm not Orbx, but as I understand the EULA, as long as you are not distributing the objects, as they are part of the Orbx product, you are within legal boundaries.

Since you are just creating a location for the objects there is no violation of the EULA.

Phil

Hi Bryan,

no answer within three hours and 15 minutes -- scandalous I know  ;)

If all you're distributing is the IS placement bgl file then there's no issue from a copyright standpoint. However, if users of that file don't have all the required pay- or freeware libraries installed then FSX will keep looking for those objects, which uses CPU cycles. If it's just one or two objects it's not a big deal but if there are plenty that can't be found it may lead to microstutters. Thus, it's probably better to provide the "lite" and "deluxe" versions as separate bgl files.

Cheers, Holger

LOL, ok I guess I was a little impatient, sorry.

I didn't realize that would be the case about continued looking for objects.  So perhaps the smarting thing to do would be make two versions, one lite one heavy, so that users draw down the appropriate version for their situation.

Perfect, that's what I was looking for.

Actually, you cannot use any Orbx objects in your scenery files, even by reference from your bgl, sorry. We appreciate you asking, but the answer is no.

However, may I suggest you join the OZx team who have a large object library of their own, specifically designed to be used with freeware projects such as yours. They are creating quite a lot of content for PNW.

Hi John, gee its lucky I keep monitoring these conversations.  So I understand then you are higher up the food chain in terms of authority on this matter so you have made teh decision clear.

One point of clarification though, individuals can use whatever objects (freeware and payware) they have in their own systems for their own personal use however, what we are talking about here is sharing freeware work with other users, even if there are actually no objects included with a compiled file you are saying that including a reference to an object is not allowed.  Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the reference about OZx I was going to look that way for more objects.  I do however, have 1,000's already from EZScenery files, Rwy12, UKVFR Library, generic files, autogen etc from both FS9 and FS10 and a good smattering of APIs and such by the old days.  Hey but you can never have too many objects.

This is an interesting decision though.  So folks like me who purchase payware and want to enhance it and share that work are limited to freeware material and can not use the payware objects embedded in purchase unless given specific permission or the payware eventually becomes freeware.

This is an interesting decision though.  So folks like me who purchase payware and want to enhance it and share that work are limited to freeware material and can not use the payware objects embedded in purchase unless given specific permission or the payware eventually becomes freeware.

It's pretty straight forward really :)

We're protecting our IP, which we've spent many years and dollars building for the exclusive use by our customers in our sceneries only. If we were to allow the use of our object libraries by anyone's freeware, then we would see our libraries called by all sorts of FS projects around the world and it reduces both the uniqueness and value of our objects used in our sceneries. In the same way I am sure FlyTampa, Aerosoft, FSDT, EarthSimulations and other scenery vendors would more than likely not allow their object libraries to be used in other freeware projects. They might, but certainly we don't allow it. We don't even allow our good friends at OZx the use of our libraries ;)

OZx on the other hand are a much more community driven bunch of great guys, and provided you meet their design rules and quality standards, they have no issues with developers joining their ranks and using all of their object libraries even the Orbx team are envious of!  ;D

Archived