Start up and running length if time

NeilG

I'd almost got used to it, resigned myself to the ridiculous length of time it takes to start up P3Dv5, just as it was with v4. I had decided to think of it as just one in a long line of P3D deficiencies. But I've poured too much money into this sim to put up with it and now I am begging the rest of the community for help. Partly, of course, it is due to the huge number of GB’s that the scenery constitutes, virtually all Orbx and a good number of others. I admit that that us always going to slow things up but at the moment I wait nearly 15 minutes and if anything goes wrong I have to start again. Any advice greatly recieved guys. Thanks.

Hi NeilG,

The reality is, the more data to load, the longer it will take, strip all the additonal data away and I'm sure load times will be minimal.

That said, we all want to be able to load our addons / sceneries to the max, the install once and forget about it style, but with the quite huge amounts of data in the make up of the most advanced addons, there is a cost to wear.

Assuming no software issues, there are really only three choices.

• Load less.
  • Load from fastest store.
  • Hardware improvements.

Software issues can be things like backup or antimalware software that scans each file as it is accessed which can add a considerable amount of time to an application's loading time. You'll want to place real time file scanning excludes for the P3D data locations if this is the case.

I see your sig has a 3TB spinning disk, assuming this is where the data is held replacing it with an SSD drive would be of advantage as they are magnatudes faster than a spinning disk. You could then use the 3TB spinning disc as a backup drive - either in a caddy or in an external drive box.

I also see you've 32 GB of ram, an option could be to leverage the ram for caching and / or run up a ram disk.

https://www.romexsoftware.com/

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

I use a Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970 and 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided to hold some ~850 GB of scenery and addons with a load time of ~8 minutes.

Also included is a 10 GB ram disk used to hold the Orbx libraries and capture video to, all works quite well.

There maybe also other items at play, check out the below thread.

Cheers QA

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/197779-Orbx-libraries-makes-p3d-load-autogen-at-70-far-too-slow/

19 hours ago, NeilG said:

Any advice greatly recieved guys.

Adding to QA's excellent advice, I can only add what has always worked for me.

FSX, P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5 all load from Start to default aircraft and airport in approx 3 mins, Each is on it’s own SSD. MSFS takes longer but that is still on C: at the moment.

I do not use any form of scenery config editor, so all scenery is read for each sim.

C: can be a major source of delays, so = Ensure C: is up to date

Ensure which ever anti-virus software used, exclusions are set for Flight simulator drives / folders and C:- Users – AppData - Orbx

I have a seperate 200GB partition E: for Windows Temp folder and Page File ( moved from C: ) Pagefile is 1.5 x ram = 48GB. No problems with Orbx downloads.

Software to keep C: tidy = removing excess bloat etc

Ensure HHD’s are defragged, Trim will deal with SSD’s

Archived