Very Slow Download

PaulB25

Ive been downloading TrueEarth GB since 19:00 last night and still only 20 GB completed.  I'm using iMac and Catalina 10.15.6 with XPlane 11.

The log file is too big to upload to you.

Operating system: OSX Catalina  

Simulator:  Xplane 11

Screenshot:  

Issue:  Slow Download

Hi Nick, yes it took 17 hours to install but appears to be running ok.  I have to say I can’t see major differences in the scenery and was looking for a way of temporarily turning off True Earth so I can test it. I’ve seen something on the forum about modifying the .ini file to disable all the entries of your software but can you tell me where the border is between GB south and central so I can fly over it to see the difference. I was previously a user of MSFS X on a PC but have recently moved to a Mac now using X-Plane 11. I must say it does run much smoother than MSFS.

Regards

Paul

Very disappointed in the level of support. Having asked a question concerning why it had taken 17 hours to download using Central the only answer I got after another 17 hours was “are you up and running now?”  I answered yes and asked how I could check if the scenery was running and no answer after about a week. Needless to say my money was banked within 24 hours!!  World class support?  I don’t think so!!

As far as I know every single instance of slow downloads since Orbx Central was introduced has been down to network problems outside the control of Orbx.  Often they are due to ISPs hosting corrupted copies in the cache, other times it's someone or something in the network has erroneously tagged a file as a P2P or torrent file and throttled the passage.

I have had 100% success in dealing with slow downloads by simply stopping the download in OC, restarting OC and the download resumes at optimal speed.  That strategy may or may not work depending on where the download is being affected.

However I see you are using a Mac so it is of course possible that the OS doesn't like the files and somehow has to slow down the process inside the computer.

Thanks for your helpful response john it came a bit late to help me and may have worked. I was reluctant to stop the download as it had already been running all night. It did finally complete but I never got a response to my question on how to check if the scenery was actually running. I have since tested it and am pretty sure that it is working correctly. Just very disillusioned by Orbx’s lack of support. Won’t be buying any other products nor recommending them to anyone. A product is only as good as the support you offer. 

Orbx support overall is second to none but there is an element of self help required.  There are many topics in the Orbx Central forum here that deal with slow downloads, and the suggestion to reset is there more than once.  I'm sorry that you feel that you were ignored but sometimes questions go under the radar.  That's why it pays to seek an answer in the forums, that's what they are here for.

John, I can’t see that waiting 17 hours at a time is support which is “second to none”. I did search the forum for help and I did see references to resetting the download but would you have risked doing it without someone from the creator of the software telling you it was a good solution when it had already taken all night and still hadn’t completed?  Sorry, I’m not being difficult but not only did it take a long time to get a response but I didn’t get an answer to my other question about the cut off line between GB South and Central or any other suggestions as to how to test the software?  I also have a mail program from a software house in New Zealand but I don’t wait so long for a response so it’s not related to the location. I also note there are forum members based in the UK. Was it that I was a novice and it was felt I was wasting people’s time asking stupid questions. It’s certainly felt a bit like that. Anyway, I do appreciate your prompt responses. Regards

Paul

Am experiencing the very same VERY LONG DOWNLOAD...VERY when "trying" to download TruEarth Florida. I have tried every scenario mentioned in this thread with no change. As this has not yet completed, if it bails on me after long hours of downloading, I will pursue trying to get a refund since that is the only option that has not been mentioned here.

Archived