Central no longer displays in main screen

Baron

Hi,

Thanks, I will try this, although I'm not sure as to where I would type the 'Edit' command. This has the 'scent' of the old MS-DOS command line interface system, which I think can still be used under certain circumstances. I believe that the Windows Notepad word processor can be used to edit files, but I'm not sure of the process involved to do so.

I notice that SVPST has now managed to cure this problem, but it seems that the 'Central icon has reappeared in his 'Show hidden icons' list, which enabled him/her to reset the windows position. However, this is not the case with mine, in fact the 'Show hidden icons' list has vanished from the task bar altogether and the only icon it once contained is now visible on the main task bar, on the right hand side.

Why the 'Central icon has not reappeared after a rebooting the PC I don't know, because I experimented in 'closing' a hidden icon on my other Windows 10 PC and although it then vanished from the list, it was back again when rebooting.

I will try examining SVPST's sequence of events and see if I can duplicate it. As I said in an earlier post, when I had the 'Central icon, in 'Show hidden icons', and was able to click on 'Reset Window position the result was the same SVPST's and all worked fine, until the next reboot when the icon had vanished from the, now gone, 'show hidden icons' list and Orbx Central was once again stuck on the Task Bar.

I guess that the central log file was of no use?

Steve

Hi,

It's back!!

Orbx Central is once more displaying full screen!

The problem seems to have  been  with the central.json file.

As SVPST had found that all worked again after displaying Orbx Central settings with the central.json file. I also found it, with 'Search', and tried to open it, but all a got was a request box asking which method I wished to use to read it, giving a list of options. Not knowing which to use I closed the box but when doing so inadvertently chose to send it to the Adobe PDF reader which was unable to read it and displayed a message to that fact.

After closing the reader I tried to bring the central.json file back again using 'search'. However this time only a PDF file with the central.json name attached came up,  but it would not open, as before, with the same message. So I deleted it.

I returned to the desk top and double clicked on the Orbx Central icon, to see whether all this messing with the central.json file had any effect on it. The Orbx Central small splash window appeared as usual and ran through 'Initializing' --- 'Loading' as before, but then instead of disappearing to the task bar Orbx Central came up on the main screen! I have also noticed that the small Orbx Central icon had reappeared on the right of the task bar, where the 'Show hidden icons' list had been.

This is the second time I've posted this result, but for some reason my earlier post has disappeared.

Steve

10 hours ago, Baron said:

The problem seems to have  been  with the central.json file.

As SVPST had found that all worked again after displaying Orbx Central settings with the central.json file. I also found it, with 'Search', and tried to open it, but all a got was a request box asking which method I wished to use to read it, giving a list of options.

Hello,

Windows recognises numerous file extensions but not all.

In every case the first port of call should be Notepad and in

this case, it is the correct editor.

Once you have established that it works, you can tick the

"always use this app" box and it will not only open automatically

with Notepad but it will also gain the Notepad icon.

Setting an application that does not work with the file is unfortunately also possible,

as you found, but is easily corrected by using the "open with" choice,

opening it with Notepad and making sure that the "always use this app"

box is ticked. The Adobe Reader will then no longer be invoked.

Hi,

Many thanks all,  for your help with this somewhat frustrating problem.

Hopefully all will be well now that everything seems to be working as it should, I have run 'Central several times, even after several shut downs and reboots, and it has always gone straight to main screen view.

Thanks Nick for that advice regarding notepad and Adobe, I will bear it in mind the next time I need to display any files.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Hi , just a quick remark to this subject - Black screen Orbx CENTRAL Using Win 10 - On gaming laptop.

I had the same problem and tried _ALL_ of the advice in this thread to no avail . 

I finally found out by checking task manager that for some reason Orbx CENTRAL was using my _secondary gaming GPU_ 

This seemed a bit weird to me as i have notforced it to use this so  via windows display  graphic settings i changed it back to

primary GPU (power saving gpu etc) and voila - works again.

No idea how application it changed itself to secondary game GPU as not listed in advanced graphic settings at all and thus should

as per default use primary _non gaming GPU_  but as seen i had to force it to use primary GPU and then it worked.

(Why it did not work on secondary graphic card is another story , one would presume it would not matter but alas - it mattered....

Cheers

Erik/Malaga

Archived