Using Orbx with Ortho4XP

Hi,

I'd like to buy the Northern California scenery pack from Orbx. But I already have all of California covered with Ortho4XP. I'd like to start using Orbx for Northern California instead. So what happens if I install Orbx for Northern California? Does it override Ortho4XP (which is what I want)? Or do I have to manually remove any lines in the .ini file referencing my Ortho4XP scenery?

Thanks for your help!

54 minutes ago, skyhigh2020 said:

Hi,

I'd like to buy the Northern California scenery pack from Orbx. But I already have all of California covered with Ortho4XP. I'd like to start using Orbx for Northern California instead. So what happens if I install Orbx for Northern California? Does it override Ortho4XP (which is what I want)? Or do I have to manually remove any lines in the .ini file referencing my Ortho4XP scenery?

Thanks for your help!

TE NoCal will sit just below Global Airports in your scenery_packs.ini and therefore will override the ortho4xp files including the Ortho4xp overlay files. No need to uninstall your existing ortho4xp for that area, unless you want to save disk space.

6 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

TE NoCal will sit just below Global Airports in your scenery_packs.ini and therefore will override the ortho4xp files including the Ortho4xp overlay files. No need to uninstall your existing ortho4xp for that area, unless you want to save disk space.

Thank you. With this information, I can go into the .ini file after I purchase and compare the new code to old and remove the Ortho4XP references. Perfect.

Thank you!

On 7/26/2020 at 5:09 AM, wolfko said:

I see absolutely no reason to have ortho4xp installed besides TE. 

Now that I have installed Orbx I completely agree. The quality and accuracy far exceeds my hopes. I just wish there were more packs to install. So what I'll do is keep Ortho4XP in place for areas that don't yet have Orbx available.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, skyhigh2020 said:

Now that I have installed Orbx I completely agree. The quality and accuracy far exceeds my hopes. I just wish there were more packs to install. So what I'll do is keep Ortho4XP in place for areas that don't yet have Orbx available.

I was disappointed with the flat runways after installing Orbx.

Not sure why they can't convert it all to ver 1.3 so we can all have nice contoured runways.

54 minutes ago, Macsbig said:

I was disappointed with the flat runways after installing Orbx.

Not sure why they can't convert it all to ver 1.3 so we can all have nice contoured runways.

I'm running Orbx TE with XP11.41 and have got sloped runways.

Great! So what have you done to get this to work?

I have just brought this up on another support thread, and both Jon Clarke and a rep from Pilot Plus said this is not possible with Orbx TE, as it's based on o4xp 1.2.

My workaround has been to include my own 1.3 tiles "mixed in".

It's a lot of work though, and means I won't be buying Orbx scenery again, or recommending it for that matter.

Mark

15 minutes ago, Macsbig said:

Great! So what have you done to get this to work?

I have just brought this up on another support thread, and both Jon Clarke and a rep from Pilot Plus said this is not possible with Orbx TE, as it's based on o4xp 1.2.

My workaround has been to include my own 1.3 tiles "mixed in".

It's a lot of work though, and means I won't be buying Orbx scenery again, or recommending it for that matter.

Mark

You are basing all your disappointment on one 3rd party developers airport. Not an Orbx addon. The dev has explained why their Bristol airport cannot have a sloped runway. Sloped runways are very evident in TEGB and where a sloped runway is accurately found, like Orbx Leeds/Bradford for example, one of the main features of that product is the sloped runway. You are implying that if you have a TEGB addon installed then all airports are flat. That is not accurate.

I am rather confused it has to be said.

But I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I expected to buy two products from Orbx direct and for those products to be fully tested, and to work flawlessly together. After all EGGD is priced as a premium product in my mind.

The TE scenery is on the whole very nice, but as we talked about before, there are one or two things I was disappointed about.

If course you are entitled to your opinion too, and you seem the go-to guy for a lot of things around here, and vastly more knowledgeable than myself.

I apologise if my comment was flawed, but this was my experience as a "average Flight Simmer"

Regards

Mark

15 minutes ago, Macsbig said:

I am rather confused it has to be said.

But I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I expected to buy two products from Orbx direct and for those products to be fully tested, and to work flawlessly together. After all EGGD is priced as a premium product in my mind.

The TE scenery is on the whole very nice, but as we talked about before, there are one or two things I was disappointed about.

If course you are entitled to your opinion too, and you seem the go-to guy for a lot of things around here, and vastly more knowledgeable than myself.

I apologise if my comment was flawed, but this was my experience as a "average Flight Simmer"

Regards

Mark

No need to apologise Mark. I just wanted to correct a couple of points you made in your previous post. Pilot Plus explained their particular restrictions which resulted in a non sloped runway. That is their product. Orbx managed to produce Leeds/Bradford for example with a major sloped runway, so the "problem" is not necessarily with TEGB but with how you make the airport (?? not a dev so I cannot confirm that assumption)

The airport does "work" it just doesn't have a sloped runway. .  

Archived