GPU/RAM Upgrade Question

Caluma65

Hi All,

I'm about to upgrade some components in my current system and was looking for a little advice from those with more technical knowledge than myself.  Current specs in signature strip.

I have two questions:

1. GPU Upgrade - I'm currently considering upgrading my GPU from a GTX 770 to the RTX 2080 and wondered if there are any compatibility issues that I need to consider?  Additionally, is there any way to ensure/check if my current cooling system will be sufficient to run the RTX 2080?

2. Increasing RAM:  I currently have 8GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1699 MHz installed and want to add another 16GB.  I can find plenty online labelled as 'Corsair DDR3 XMS3' but it all seems to be at a slightly different MHz.  1600 for example, where I currently have 1699MHz.  Does this figure matter?  Or does it simply have to be the DDR3 XMS3 type that I buy?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Calum

Hi Callum,

Nvidia are bringing out the RTX 3XXX Series soon so might be worth hanging on for prices on the 2XXX series to drop when this is released, the RTX 2800 has been superseded by the RTX2800 Super edition (about 7% better for an extra £200 :-( ) and high end Nvidia are ridiculously overpriced due to no competition. Either way your CPU will more likely be the bottleneck.

Ram will run at the slowest stick, so if you have 3 at 1600mhz and 1 at 1800mhz for example they will all run at 1600mhz. More than likely you have 1600mhz RAM but since your system is overclocked to 4GHz, RAM is overclocked as well as the CPU (I have a Ryzen 1400 overclocked to 3.8Ghz and my DDR4 Ram is up from 2400mhz to 3000mhz).

To be honest consider this:

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 is out this year, Xbox Series X is also out this year and will run it at 2K - 4k resolution with support for keyboard/mouse/joysticks etc expected cost to be around £500 which is about what just a decent RTX 2080 will set you back. Orbx is nice but Im sure you have seen MFS2020 scenery on youtube by now.

1 hour ago, Yashin said:

Ram will run at the slowest stick

Hello,

not wishing to be pedantic but mixed speed RAM will run at the highest common speed that both can achieve.

This may well be slower than the maximum speed of the slower stick and much slower than the maximum speed of the faster stick.

I would think that the advantage of twice as much RAM would outweigh the disadvantage of it being a little slower.

Hi Caluma76 have a look at Nicks specs as I think they are , I won’t say close but close enough. Plus I would get some new matched pairs of memory, and your thinking of getting a 2080 card, but would not a 2070 Super be better. They are supposed to be a great card that does not cost a fortune. I would not bother getting a second hand 1070 card as you can not be sure what it’s been doing. Hope my 2 cents worth will help you decide. Derek.

Archived