LOWI - transition from standard scenery has a "gap" in the ground

I downloaded and installed HD Mesh V4 for X-Plane.

Whilst it can't eliminate the gaps (the meshes would have to match exactly at the boundaries) my theory was that a higher resolution mesh may reduce the effect, and it appears I'm right. The HD Mesh V4 tiles aren't as high resolution as the ones used in the LOWI scenery, but the gaps between the two when transitioning to/from the LOWI scenery are noticeably reduced.

I do believe there'd be a way to completely resolve this, but it'd take effort on behalf of the devs to do it. The mesh used for the LOWI scenery would have to be tweaked at the edges of the scenery to match the default/HD meshes at the boundaries of it. There'd then be a change in the quality of the scenery as you transitioned to/from LOWI, but the gaps would be gone.

3 hours ago, t3hb00t said:

I downloaded and installed HD Mesh V4 for X-Plane.

Whilst it can't eliminate the gaps (the meshes would have to match exactly at the boundaries) my theory was that a higher resolution mesh may reduce the effect, and it appears I'm right. The HD Mesh V4 tiles aren't as high resolution as the ones used in the LOWI scenery, but the gaps between the two when transitioning to/from the LOWI scenery are noticeably reduced.

I do believe there'd be a way to completely resolve this, but it'd take effort on behalf of the devs to do it. The mesh used for the LOWI scenery would have to be tweaked at the edges of the scenery to match the default/HD meshes at the boundaries of it. There'd then be a change in the quality of the scenery as you transitioned to/from LOWI, but the gaps would be gone.

@Tony Wroblewski  @Jarrad Marshallfor any comment

Hi guys, 

This is indeed one of the major limitations of the XP11 terrain engine. Elevation data between tiles is not blended or glued like it is in ESP, so where you have instances of different res meshes sitting next to each other, the differences will manifest as tears or gaps. Innsbruck uses a very high resolution source, so will be noticeable at each border - though more so in mountainous areas. 

If it is any consolation, a fix to the inherent limitations of mesh in XP11 is at the top of many airport developers' wish-lists!

3 hours ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

Hi guys, 

This is indeed one of the major limitations of the XP11 terrain engine. Elevation data between tiles is not blended or glued like it is in ESP, so where you have instances of different res meshes sitting next to each other, the differences will manifest as tears or gaps. Innsbruck uses a very high resolution source, so will be noticeable at each border - though more so in mountainous areas. 

If it is any consolation, a fix to the inherent limitations of mesh in XP11 is at the top of many airport developers' wish-lists!

Thanks for your response Jarrad

Archived