Whidbey Island NAS

Toto-Free

I wonder if Orbx could do a really nice Whidbey Island NAS for us, with a Carrier parked close buy with a hard deck to trap and take off on. Years ago in FSX there were some really cool freeware

Whidbey Island, bases you could put into your FSX steam or Box version and have a lot of fun with.  Make it look real military looking with C130 and C17 parked around with fire trucks, and ambulances  and F18 taking off and landing etc. Military vehicles moving around from one way point to the other. Whidbey Island has never been done by Orbx for some reason. It would be very cool to have.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:38 AM, Toto-Free said:

Make it look real military looking with C130 and C17

Just FYI, you will hardly ever find a C-130 or C-17 at NASWI.

NAS Whidbey Island has multiple squadrons of E/A-18G Growler and P-8A Poseidon aircraft. 

There is still one P-3 squadron and also an EP-3 squadron.  There is also one C-40B squadron (only 3 jets) and the base SAR unit with a couple MH-60S helicopters.

The transient air terminal isn't super busy.  Normally just an occasional USN C-40B.  Very rarely a USN/USMC C-130, USAF C-17.  Super rarely a contract airliner (like a 747 or DC-10 from Atlas or Evergreen).

On 5/27/2020 at 1:02 PM, aujeffk said:

MAIW (Military AI works) has some great stuff for Whidbey.  flew over  on P3D this weekend and the F-18, P-3s and EP-3 were all there

https://militaryaiworks.com/

Jeff is it current?  I know of the FS9 version from 2015. 

Not that hard to convert the object library, I realize, but I try to improve on the ground textures a bit.

I haven't seen any up to date imagery online. 

Looking at Google Maps, Bing Maps, and Google Earth, GE has the newest imagery from 7/2018.

It does show a C-40 and the "new" VR-61 hangar (large blue/purple roof) next to the tower, and lots of E-A-18G Growlers, but not all the P-8A jets that now dominate the SE third of the ramp.

There are also around a dozen new hangars for the MQ-4C Triton UAVs which are coming to NASWI.  I can't recall if they are along Golf or Juliet.  I'll see if I can take a look next time I'm on base.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 10:00 PM, Ripcord said:

Jeff is it current?  I know of the FS9 version from 2015. 

Not that hard to convert the object library, I realize, but I try to improve on the ground textures a bit.

Ripcord - I don't know how current it is.  They seem to do updates fairly frequently with new additions or updates, but I don't know specifically about NAS Whidbey.

btw - your Navy ship project looks great!

On 5/25/2020 at 11:20 AM, Ripcord said:

I might work on a freeware version - working on Ventura County Pt Mugu Navy right now.

Whidbey would be a nice addition to the Pacific Northwest. Especially with a carrier in the area.

Larry

On 6/30/2020 at 1:10 AM, larryisenor said:

Whidbey would be a nice addition to the Pacific Northwest. Especially with a carrier in the area.

Larry

Larry there are two, aren't there?  One based in Everett and the other in Bremerton.

But that's just where they are based - the carrier ops occur elsewhere.

4 hours ago, retnavycpo said:

Yep, I would like that!  I retired from VQ-1 at Whidbey in '97.  Am a retired AMEC.  Pete Ward

Pete, ah so you are one of us!

I was special projects in Brunswick - one of the backroom guys.  That's where the Ripcord name came from - unfortunate training mishap.

On 5/26/2020 at 8:51 PM, Toto-Free said:

Thank you Ripcord. Would you please let me know when its done I would really like to have it. and are you the Ripcord from the Freebirds???

Go over to MAIW and have a look around over there.  All AI military traffic you will ever hope for, and more.

There are two carriers still home ported in the Puget Sound area, but both are out of Bremerton now, the Stennis (though at present it's being refueled at Norfolk) and the Nimitz. Many of the ships associated with their strike force are home ported in Everett. And as Ripcord notes, operations are "elsewhere." They are a sight though inbound and outbound. Here's Abraham Lincoln when home ported in Everett headed in past the lighthouse near my home. Whidbey Island in the background.

Archived