Extremely long loading time with P3DV5

Hi there,

I noticed extremely long loading times from the start of P3D to the selection screen in P3D V5 with Orbx addons installed, compared to P3D V4 or to a vanilla installation of P3D V5. This can be five minutes and more, even from a SSD.

This does NOT change if you activate only some entries in the addon.xml.

I tried to change C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\add-ons.cfg from

[DiscoveryPath.0]
PATH=G:\Orbx_Bibliothek\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx OrbxBibliothek
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

To

[DiscoveryPath.0]
PATH=G:\Orbx_Bibliothek\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx OrbxBibliothek
ACTIVE=false
REQUIRED=false

but this doesn't help.

Is there a way to reduce the loading time? It's pretty annoying to have to wait so long for the simulator to start. Nota bene: From the flightselection screen to the actual flight it is fast as ever, as long as you don't load those photoreal sceneries like the Netherlands and the UK... ;-)

Hello,

I have seen an earlier discussion where it became apparent that P3D indexes all the scenery added by the

add-on.xml method, whether that scenery is active or whether it is not.

This is not the case in a scenery.cfg file, when disabled scenery is ignored.

This is outside the control of Orbx.

I would think that the only way to avoid this would be manipulation of the scenery_add-ons.xml and add-ons.cfg

files to completely remove scenery from the library.

I agree that it's tedious, and I've never had to wait 5 minutes,  but I think this is a case where you just have to make sure you do something else while it loads, like making a cup of tea, or even just looking at Facebook. Otherwise, it's like waiting for a kettle to boil (a watched kettle never boils...) ^_^.

2 hours ago, Scupper said:

I agree that it's tedious, and I've never had to wait 5 minutes,  but I think this is a case where you just have to make sure you do something else while it loads, like making a cup of tea, or even just looking at Facebook. Otherwise, it's like waiting for a kettle to boil (a watched kettle never boils...) ^_^.

Yeah, but as I am in the process of setting up P3D V5, I need to check things quite often, like setting up Chaseplane and stuff. I think you can posion yourself with tea. It's just a lot of time wasted... :-)

I have found that one of the biggest slowdowns to initial load times is the quantity of AI aircraft and textures located in the various simobjects folders, and elsewhere, such as MAIW, which locates theirs outside the customary locations.  I have a very large quantity, mostly unused, at present, as I am slowly updating, making flightplans for many of the updated models and textures. When I remove some of these folders, my load times decrease significantly. 

Just to let you know:

For some reason I installed Google My Drive, Back and Sync.

Now, after installation of P3Dv5 it needed extremely long time (over 15 minutes) to start up. So much, that I stopped the startup.

Then after disabling the Google My Drive, Back and Sync (it settles in the tray), the loading time was within 5 minutes.

Greetings,

Wil

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been following this thread and have openned a similar thread on the P3D forum: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140282

Everything seems to point to the need for P3D to do something if this source of irritation is to be adressed effectively. Unfortunately the P3Dv5.1 updated did not improve things - we hope that Lockheed will waken to the fact and take action.

John McWilliam

Hello,

in my experience, this can be managed.

As far as I can tell, P3D is only indexing those products that are not already indexed

and if the changes are kept to a minimum, the long loading time is also kept to a minimum.

Either way, it is a feature of P3D and not of Orbx scenery, although adding Orbx scenery

of course adds more to be indexed.

Hi Nick,

In response to your comment I would like to add that the time taken to load the sim when starting isn't that bad. Where I do have a problem is when I want to load a flightplan. This can take up to 7 minutes during which time the projected map is incomplete (see attachment). I have tried different flightplans but they all act the same way. The flightplanner gets there in the end but it is a long irritating wait.

John McWilliam

P3D_Flightplanner.JPG

P3D_Flightplanner2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 10:07 AM, jsmcwilliam said:

I have been following this thread and have openned a similar thread on the P3D forum: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140282

Everything seems to point to the need for P3D to do something if this source of irritation is to be adressed effectively. Unfortunately the P3Dv5.1 updated did not improve things - we hope that Lockheed will waken to the fact and take action.

John McWilliam

John thanks for your action on the P3D forum. I also added a post to this thread:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140282&p=232984#p232984

Hans Hartvelt

The Netherlands

Archived