AI Traffic (AU/NZ) display problem

This one's for Mr. Ecclestone I think!!

I kept wondering why various aircraft models were showing blank (all except props and lights that is). After a few cleanups and reinstalls (no solution) I decided to do some diagnostics!!!

It turns out to be related to the lighting model:

1) If Enhanced amtospherics is ENabled, all show OK.

2) If Enhanced amtospherics is DISabled + Dynamic Lighting ENabled, you lose quite a few models/aircraft.

3) If Enhanced amtospherics is DISabled + Dynamic Lighting DISabled, all show OK.

So ... I compared two of the models (*.mdl) and found that if I set the "Global environment map as reflection" value from true to false then the models work.

I'm not expert enough to deduce from this whether it's a problem with individual models - or whether P3Dv5 isn't lighting them properly (unless enhanced atmospherics is on).

Adam.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the affected models I've found so far are: B1900D, B737-300, Pilatus PC-12 and Dash 8-300.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

for the record, I cannot replicate this at all.

I had a collection of airliners in view at YMML and with every combination of settings

that I could think of, they looked the same.

Thanks, Nick ... and ... drat!!!

Try sitting on the tarmac at NZWN or NZAA - around 10am summer was when I was testing.

However - I'd have thought AU liveries for those aircraft would also appear at YMML (I'll go check).

So ... to be doubly/triply sure ... you get no problems with any of those aircraft with P3D Enhanced Atmospherics  OFF and Dynamic Lighting ON <?>.

I've tried deleting the shaders cache, reloading scenery (in-sim), reloading shaders (in-sim) - as well as reboots and P3D restarts.

Are you on 5.0 or 5.0 HF1? I'm on HF1.

Do you think there are any other shader or lighting settings that could be interfering? I hope I'm not the only one out there with this oddity!

One more thing I could try: I still have the P3Dv4 archive of that AI package - I could copy over just one of the problematic aircraft (backing up the original first) and see if that does anything.

Adam.

Hello Adam,

I still cannot replicate this, here are all the setting combinations, you can see the artefacts when the TrueSky

thing is active but the aircraft don't seem to change much.

1000 hrs, 21st December, NZWN.

2020-5-8_12-52-9-548.jpg

2020-5-8_12-52-27-645.jpg

2020-5-8_12-52-48-605.jpg

2020-5-8_12-53-13-176.jpg

2020-5-8_12-53-34-552.jpg

20 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Perhaps try it with no changes at all.

Tried all combinations of SSAA and NVI. It really does seem that SSAA (on my system at least) is slightly borked. Does SSAA work for you?

I suppose the answer is for me to just stick with 8xMSAA !!!

Archived