Storing XPlane Scenery to a separate hard drive.

Sure I’ve seen something about storing your Xplane scenery to an outside hard drive and then it loads it when needed or have I got that wrong. Like I have an external Samsung SSD only 1 terabyte with photo’s on and all my Fltsim bits and pieces. Could someone point me in the right direction please . Thanks Derek.

Hello Derek,

you can use Orbx Central to migrate all your Orbx scenery out of the X Plane 11 folder and you can

create an Orbx Central Library on your external drive.

You just need to make sure that the drive always has the same drive letter.

Hi Nick thanks for your reply, might do that later as do not have a spare drive at the moment, hang on just thought I do and it’s a 1tb Black Drive but have a funny feeling that it’s knackered so to speak. I will have to check it out. Thanks Derek.

Just another quick question. Does it slow the loading of the scenery in any way at all. Just had a quick look and external drives are so cheap now. Looked at one and it was about £80 for a 4TB one.  Thanks Derek.

13 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Just another quick question. Does it slow the loading of the scenery in any way at all. Just had a quick look and external drives are so cheap now. Looked at one and it was about £80 for a 4TB one.  Thanks Derek.

Yes is the answer but only if you make comparisons to other drives.

If you want an inexpensive but reasonably fast drive then you must get a USB3 drive as long as your Mobo is also USB3 compatible. If it isn't then it will run at USB2 speed.

I have a 4TB WD Elements USB3 external drive and it works fine. I have all my Ortho4xp files on there and it loads quick enough at 120MB/s Read and 172MB/s Write

Compare that to my NVME M2 drive which is 3455MB/s Read and 3037MB/s Write and my SSDs which run at 505MB/s Read and 484MB/s Write

Thank you John for the reply and about using usb 3. Think that’s the red type is it and I don’t think I have any on my computer, just the blue ones if that. Could I use a powered hub with usb 3 at all. Thanks Derek.

Archived