P3Dv5 hotfix requires entire reinstall

The first hotfix for P3Dv5 is out, but since there were many fixes to scenery (including elevation and water issues, etc) it requires a reinstall of that too. What does this mean for us having Orbx Global Base installed? Would we need to uninstall that and reinstall it after the P3D reinstall, or is there another way?

I've already migrated openLC Africa & openLC Europe to a library (outside the P3D folder), so I assume those two will be fine, right?

One thing I might add to Nick's post for backing up your control setup:

1. Navigate to (without brackets): <%appdata%\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Controls\>
  2. Make a copy of "standard.xml" to your desktop or a folder of your choice.
  3. Install v5 HotFix 1 using Nick's guide
  4. Use the "Delete Generated Files.exe" in the Prepar3d v5 directory to clean out all of the configuration files.
  5. Once running P3D, in the controls settings, choose import at the bottom of the screen and select the "standard.xml" file that you backed up.
  6. Your prior control settings are now restored!

Hello,

the P3D guide is designed to completely remove every trace of P3D from a PC.

If followed to the letter, this does indeed happen but at the same time, anything

that is installed into the P3D v5 folder is also removed, because the guide recommends

to delete it.

It is their way of trying to rule everything out of the equation and it works.

It is also perfectly acceptable, assuming that not a single file has been added to the P3D

root folder and that you do not wish to keep any addons.

Similarly, the Delete Generated Files file deletes every single configuration file and the

folders that they are in, something that can also take with it many installations and

perfectly valid files, such as saved scenery.cfg files.

However, when simply updating from V5 to V5.+ and where there are no problems with

anything other than those known to be caused by the simulator, there is no need to delete

everything.

This is an extract from the P3D official guide and the folders that are listed, except the root folder, are the ones that the Delete Generated Files batch deletes.

I have added the text in red.

While the uninstaller removes all files that are created by the installer, it does not completely remove content that was generated during program execution. To completely uninstallPrepar3D, you must manually delete folders and files that are created during runtime. Please be sure to back up any changes you have made to any of the files in the folders.

Now, please manually delete the following folders:

•C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 (or the modified install location) This is your entire P3D v5 root folder

•%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 This is the folder that contains your scenery and add-ons configuration files

•%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 This is the folder that contains your shaders

•%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 This is the folder that contains the Prepar3D.cfg file and your Controls setting file

•%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files This is the folder that contains any saved flights

•%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons This is the folder that some of your other addons may have written to, if you delete it, they will need to be reinstalled.

I am not therefore seeking to contradict the P3D recommendation, just to point out that in the  case of an update, by leaving out some of the more draconian steps, a great deal of time and trouble can be saved.

Archived