TrueEarth GB File Conversion Failure

Setup: Three networked PCs, two running X-Plane 11.41 (no beta), the third handles instrument panels and flight controls. Orbx Central installed on both X-Plane machines with separate user accounts and licenses. Orbx was running fine for the last few months.

Reinstall: I tried the Vulcan beta but decided to move back to the last non-beta but for some reason the “stable” version showed some crashes and weird behavior so I did a complete re-install including Windows 10 Pro without keeping old data. I swapped computers such that the old master is now the slave and vice versa. I also swapped Orbx account information between the two machines (not sure whether that makes a difference but Orbx is perhaps linking the account to the motherboard).

Orbx issue: Now my problem. One of the machines has no problems at all. All my Orbx products have downloaded and installed and are running fine. The second machine had no issues except with the three TrueEarth Great Britain sceneries. Orbx Central downloads these fine, extracts all files but won’t convert a single item and tells me that all files (forgot the exact number of them, somewhere 3000+?) failed to convert. Oregon, Washingtin, and Northern California worked fine with this machine. Verifying the files produces the same error.

The installation drive has more than 2TB left. My C: drive has 180GB space left. I’ve redirected Orbx temp directory to the large 2TB drive already, cleaned out Orbx' backup drive, tried a manual install, all without any difference in outcome. It almost looks like Orbx Central can’t start the conversion program.

Anybody any ideas? Can I simply copy the three Great Britain folders from the good installation to the second machine or will Orbx Central tag me as a software pirate?

Attached is a snapshot of the error message and below are some lines of Central’s log file. These same lines repeat over and over for each file.

2020-04-30T03:53:23.823Z [INFO] [Saturn] - [INFO] Converting Custom Scenery\Orbx_D_GB_North_TrueEarth_Orthos\textures\9ee0xf5b0x17.JPG

2020-04-30T03:53:23.828Z [INFO] [Saturn] - [ERROR] texconv exited with code -1073741515

2020-04-30T03:53:23.828Z [INFO] [Saturn] - [ERROR] E:\Orbx HDD\xp11\TrueEarth Great Britain North\Custom Scenery\Orbx_D_GB_North_TrueEarth_Orthos\textures\9ed0xf5f0x17.JPG doesn't exist after conversion.

2020-04-30T03:53:23.828Z [INFO] [Saturn] - [ERROR] Failed to convert Custom Scenery\Orbx_D_GB_North_TrueEarth_Orthos\textures\9ed0xf5f0x17.JPG

2020-04-30T03:53:23.829Z [INFO] [Saturn] - System.Exception: Conversion failed.

2020-04-30T03:53:23.829Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at Saturn.Jobs.Install.MainSubStages.ConvertSubStage.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<ConvertFile>b__0()

error.png

Found the issue. The conversion utility 'texconv' needs some Windows libraries (vcomp140.dll, vcruntime140.dll, msvcp140.dll), which apparently weren't installed on my clean installation. After installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Update 3 Redistributable x86, the conversion works. The master computer had it already installed because of the some other drivers I needed that's why I had no issue on that machine.

Perhaps you could add this to the installation documentation/requirements for Orbx Central.

15 minutes ago, Joerg Picard said:

Found the issue. The conversion utility 'texconv' needs some Windows libraries (vcomp140.dll, vcruntime140.dll, msvcp140.dll), which apparently weren't installed on my clean installation. After installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Update 3 Redistributable x86, the conversion works. The master computer had it already installed because of the some other drivers I needed that's why I had no issue on that machine.

Perhaps you could add this to the installation documentation/requirements for Orbx Central.

Archived