Tips requested for getting into Australia :-)

andrew22222

Hi,

Our main plan of action was to keep going west from the UK until we get to Australia. Currently in Vancouver (CA) and run out of land. I guess we still have northwest of Vancouver Island but it seems to rain too much there. The AU Immigration changed some of it's points allocation in February but we just found out this afternoon. Now we're 15 points short and totally gutted.  >:(

Countries can be cruel.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (Tips, TRICKS) via PM if it's not appropriate here in the pilots lounge.

Thanks,

Andrew

Don't get on a boat in Indonesia, for one thing.  All you will get is a stay on Christmas Island and a return to your country of origin.

I don't know the immigration field at all, but there is a shortage of skilled migrants here in Australia.  Do you fit any of those categories?

If you have an appropriate skill and can secure employment in the regional areas I belive that adds a considerable number of points to your application.

Cheers

I used to work alongside the Trades Recognition Australia guys.  I believe they've had some policy changes but the rules are the same, if you have good trade qualifications in something useful your application is assessed sympathetically.  YIf you haven't visited the website yet here's the url:

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/Pages/default.aspx

Whatever happens you can get a tourist visa (assuming you have a clean record etc) for 6 or 12 months and if you work a certain number of months in the rural sector you can double the time allowed.  Once you're over here you can explore further opportunities with employers and the department of Immigration. 

Good luck

Many thanks for the replies and PM's.

It's certainly frustrating as really that's the only thing we had our minds set on in life. My wife had gone back to college to get a degree (accounting) so that she would qualify. We already emigrated to Canada from the UK so have a good idea how the process works. They just seemed to have changed the points system and also the experience time of working in the field that your applying for. Bummer

Can get a tourist visa no problem and have already spent almost 2 years there many moons ago on an 'extended'  1 year work visa. Turned into quite the fruit picker  :D

Never visited the Trades Recognition website. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a good read today.

Thought perhaps there may be some fellow sim flyers out there that are in the process of emigrating with some tricks up their sleeve.

Thanks,

Andrew

Archived