New Computer - Safe Over Clocking Range?

Hi all...

I got a new computer on the way.  It is the Alienware Aurora R9 with the overclockable i9 9900KS   the link to the system is here:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-and-games/alienware-aurora-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r9-desktop/wdaurr940s?configurationid=bd1c38ab-0317-4439-a33b-c1e8faa6a363

My question is this:

What is a safe overclocking level of this processor?   Also, is that the speed of the processor out of the box?  I am a bit confused on this whole new thing with OC and I finally have a top of the line gaming desktop.

And another newb question on liquid cooling - what do they use for the liquid for liquid cooling and how often is it needed to be rinsed/changed/etc?  Thanks in advance everyone and all you tech gurus!  appreciate the help my friends!

Please, no alienware haters!  I know you're out thee, but I don't know how to build my own machine, nor up to the challenge.

Good pick. The CPU is 4.0-5.0 GHz. (5.0 is the maximum turbo speed). My advice on the OC? Don't bother. At 5.0 you'll have all the performance you need. Why take the risk of cooking the CPU just for a small gain that probably won't even be noticeable? Don't have a clue on the liquid cooling.................

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

Good pick. The CPU is 4.0-5.0 GHz. (5.0 is the maximum turbo speed). My advice on the OC? Don't bother. At 5.0 you'll have all the performance you need. Why take the risk of cooking the CPU just for a small gain that probably won't even be noticeable? Don't have a clue on the liquid cooling.................

Thanks!   Glad to hear that.   I won't bother so I won't fry it!  :)  (My luck.  :)  

On 4/19/2020 at 5:27 AM, W2DR said:

John, your computer will be a beast out of the box. and W2DR is right on the money

These current Intel cpus were originally designed and biassed for single threaded computing - that is in their DNA, despite Intel throwing more cores on them.

When running P3D on Intel, most of the cores are doing not very much. If you overclock, your cpu is burning more power - heat and most of it is still doing not very much. Watercoolers are to get rid of the extra heat. A 9900K ate 5.2 GHz burns 300W of power, and tou need a cooler that can get rid of 300W of heat, or the cpu will throttle down, then you are slower than if you didn't OC in the first place.

Where confusion seems to arise, is that AMD cpus DO multi thread really well with P3D and don't need to OC, but since Intel doesn't do this (they will need a new architecture which isn't on the horizon) to get P3D going faster on Intel, some guys do OC, coz you've gotta beat the daylight out of that one working thread. All the other threads ore skiving off and smoking fags behind the Gym, while Tarzan is out front doing all the work.

Relax, your machine is a beast.

Archived