YMML V3 sloooow frame rates

I have a real problem with frame rates at Orbx YMML V3 - usually only 8-9fps.  With the same conditions and settings, on the same computer, using the same sim (P3D V4.5 HF2) at Orbx YBBN I get 32.3fps.  At the FlyTampa YSSY, a larger airport, with higher detail settings and more AI traffic, I get 25.7fps.  So why such terrible frame rates at YMML?

I have minimised the YMML settings, both airside and landside, with almost no effect.  I cannot find any other YMML bgl files in my system that could be interfering, but any suggestions as to where to I should look would be welcomed in case I have missed something!

For all those frame rate checks, I used the same computer, with the same P3D settings, the same time/day/date, same weather and AI settings, the same aircraft, etc.

My software setup includes Orbx Australia V2, Orbx AI Australia and New Zealand (using International and Australia and New Zealand AI only), plus Traffic Global Early Release.

I would really like to resolve these huge discrepancies for YMML, as it becomes almost unusable at those frame rates.

Cheers,

Brian

My AI is fairly conservative as it is, at 35%.  My concern is that your Brisbane airport is so much better than Melbourne - frame rates in excess of 33fps (Brisbane), whereas I am flat out getting 10% (Melbourne).  I have all my YMML settings minimised.  All your other airports are also fine, even with much higher airport by airport settings.

Why is the YMML airport so appallingly slow when compared with all others?  Same computer, settings, season, time, date, AI settings, aircraft, external point of view, weather, ... it is something to do with YMML.

Cheers,

Brian

As I have my FPS locked at 30, I can not really compare, but I did not see any difference between YMML, YSSY or Brisbane, in contrary, my FPS are always worse on the bigger airports. Means, I have almost 30FPS locked on Melbourne while in Sydney, FPS sometimes drop down to 20. Depending on the weather, for example.

What hampers my performance around YMML is clearly related to the novel city that is included with AUSv2: if I have to high settings regarding autogen draw distance and shadows, FPS are really low when looking in the direction of the city centre.

What always hampers performance on any airport is bad weather. I then need to reduce my antialiasing to 8xMSAA, otherwise the many clouds rendered drop performance quiet remarkably.

Long story short: what are your settings regarding autogen draw distance, autogen density and shadow options? Did you once test to reduce those settings? It might be that it is the surrounding of YMML resulting in low FPS for you, not the scenery itself...

On 4/2/2020 at 4:58 PM, AnkH said:

As I have my FPS locked at 30, I can not really compare, but I did not see any difference between YMML, YSSY or Brisbane, in contrary, my FPS are always worse on the bigger airports. Means, I have almost 30FPS locked on Melbourne while in Sydney, FPS sometimes drop down to 20. Depending on the weather, for example.

What hampers my performance around YMML is clearly related to the novel city that is included with AUSv2: if I have to high settings regarding autogen draw distance and shadows, FPS are really low when looking in the direction of the city centre.

What always hampers performance on any airport is bad weather. I then need to reduce my antialiasing to 8xMSAA, otherwise the many clouds rendered drop performance quiet remarkably.

Long story short: what are your settings regarding autogen draw distance, autogen density and shadow options? Did you once test to reduce those settings? It might be that it is the surrounding of YMML resulting in low FPS for you, not the scenery itself...

I have reduced AI traffic to 18% and reduced the amount of shadows, autogen and distances at which they show, and my frame rates have barely changed - maybe an additional 2-3fps. However, your suggestion re 8xMSAA setting did the trick.  Thank you!

Good to hear. If you do not like 8xMSAA, you can either use FXAA (results in a slightly more fuzzy display) or use the nVIDIA Image Sharpening. I am sure, @Doug Sawatzky could help you to properly set up the image sharpening tool. I currently just use the default values, but with some fine tuning, you might get acceptable results with 8xMSAA and FXAA that is close to what you get with SSAA. The image sharpening does almost not need any GPU resources, so FPS should stay roughly the same.

BTW: what kind of GPU do you use? If it is an AMD card, there are similar means for image sharpening if I am not completely wrong, but you would need somebody else to help you with this.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chris

I'm using a GTX980, but with my current monitor and P3D settings, my graphics are now acceptable at YMML and similar to YSSY.  Thankfully, I consider my YMML problems to now be solved.

Cheers,

Brian

Archived