3 D virtual Cockpit (VC)

John Heaton

When I returned to Flight simming a few months back -after an absence of 12 years - FSX gold - I was confused - (and sometimes still are ) - 

with a lot of the terms used especially related to various bits and pieces in - and on - the aeroplane - and some flight terms

One term was a "3D VC" - which I learned was a cockpit with predominant items e.g. switches  -  being in a 3D visual quality

turning-  what is in effect a flat 2 D video screen - into something more visually real to the naked eye.

I hope this is not construed as advertising - but if someone had shown me this pic. of the new 747 Just Flight Cockpit

I would have understood much better

747 cockpit Just Flight.jpg

Hello John.

Yes, it's advertising.

All the simulator default aircraft have virtual cockpits such as shown in your image.

They can be accessed by loading the aircraft and then pressing F11 and all feature

the kind of switches that are shown in your image.

If you are truly motivated to expand your knowledge of the simulator, there is a very

useful resource to be found here:

4.jpg

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John.

Yes, it's advertising.

All the simulator default aircraft have virtual cockpits such as shown in your image.

They can be accessed by loading the aircraft and then pressing F11 and all feature

the kind of switches that are shown in your image.

If you are truly motivated to expand your knowledge of the simulator, there is a very

useful resource to be found here:

4.jpg

Thanks Nick for taking the trouble to reply - and sorry that it was an "Advert" for a proprietary product

However - you may have misunderstood me - its not difficult -  I know -  with my aged wanderings !!

I stopped actually using my PPL  when I was 60 - making to many errors and fed up with VFR in OZ - and broke - and never had to use terms like

VOR - ILS -  FD - AI  etc. although my personally owned PA 32  - was full IFR equipped - and I used the auto pilot around OZ in VFR/NDBs

My reference to FSX was simply that - although I had used it since the commodore 64 - (my son sold them)

although colour blind - I got fed up of the flat screens and "Poster Corel colours" - then at 15" screens -

even with Orbx RED GREEN AND BLUE GOLD  AV 1 scenery - and gave away all flight simming 

In my mid life - since packing in with the real world 30 years ago - I have earned a crust in the Photographic "Simulation" world

creating "DVDs"   - both conventional videos  from family 8mm - VHS - Reality Videos for Real Estate etc - as well as producing 

some 200 digital paintings and about 50 Brush ones. I have always been up with the use of AV - HD - UHD etc - ( I even have a utube slot)

- and all the various resolutions up to the new 8K - and looking forward - to the 4k/120 and 8K/60 of the new "proposed" simulator and X Box

I/ve  blurbed about all this - because when In May - I came back to Flight simming - (new gaming computer) - I was surprised - and delighted - to see the Massive

improvement in the appearance of  aircraft and the scenery - and I use P3D and X plane as best as a newbie can do - learning the new equipment

as best I can - by reading and experiment - and flying some of the GA aircraft I have flown over the years - and graduating to the larger types eventually.

I also want to learn how to create flight videos of my own and full use of all the views available - when I can find the information - and I have the time OK

I also still use FSX - because the Orbx scenery is the same as P3D - and the older a/c - are freebies and more common - and definitely - not "study A/C"

From time to time I run into problems with the Language of Modern Flying terminology -  I constantly  have to google the meaning of so many initials used 

It's like trying to read my grand children's text messages - (- I have even learned what PBR means - although in my terms -  it use to mean something else

- about money and piece work.)

In a nut shell - the term 3D VCs - and many others - took some understand - despite my background - and the flat 2 D screens of FSX  aircraft were simply not real

and through slowly learning what it really means by using the latest aircraft - I now have the understanding - "More Real" and 

when accompanied by "3D Sound" - and the pic of the 747 made my day - hence my forum contribution to General Discussion !!

I hope that shows you that I am Absolutely "willing to expand my Knowledge of the Flight simulator" - as you say - and I do appreciate

all the efforts you have helped me with over the last few months to do so !!!

(PS Yesterday I  completed a 2 day VFR Flight to Cyprus via Malta - from Southend - in my Chieftain without VOR etc - just dead reckoning - NDBs -  and my auto pilot

replicating a DC6 flight I did in 1956 courtesy of HM Government - as a soldier passenger - headed for Suez)

Archived