A genuine question on the apparent lack of interest in Aerofly FS 2.

Donka

It seems many people choose not to explore Aerofly FS 2 and stick with the likes of X-Plane 11 and P3d which have much greater 3rd party support and system depth. Each to their own and I get that. I have only been using AF2 for a few months and some aspects left me wanting so I did look around and only recently picked up XP11, mainly for the full Orbx GB regions and airport support.
I do enjoy this combination but actually flit between AF2 and XP11 depending on my mood.

The thing that draws me back to AF2 is the experience out of the box. Performance is excellent on average hardware, I'm easily getting over 100fps on the likes of Orbx TE Netherlands or AF2's excellent own New York scenery. Best case on XP11 with the same hardware and lowered settings is 25-40fps. Hit a populated area in XP11 and I can see fps drop to ~ 20 and that is with the reduced settings that don't provide the volume of objects that I'm seeing in AF2.

Factor in the supplied aircraft roster which is a great selection and of very high quality and I rarely look for something else to fly. I realise they don't provide the full system depth as a lot of the freeware out there but they probably offer around 90% of that out of the box.

I haven't ventured to VR yet but all the reports I read point to AF2 being the most realistic proposition for VR at this time.

Everyone has different needs or wants from their flight sim but I'm genuinely surprised there is not a bigger uptake in Aerofly FS2 given the benefits it offers over the other sims, even if on balance, those benefits mean you lose out elsewhere.

This is not to knock the heavier sims, they are what they are and I appreciate what X-Plane 11 offers which is why I did purchase it as well. The lack of performance and optimisation however does hurt the experience greatly when you just want to jump in and fly without the distraction of low framerates or the need to tune down options based on the region.

Ultimately, I love the Orbx quality in the sims and would be over the moon if TE GB ever made an appearance in AF2 along with some of the UK airports given how varied a landscape for flying, the whole of the UK offers. It's very good in XP11 but I would be all over VR equipment if it came to AF2.

TLDR - Why the lack of love for Aerofly FS 2?

Some time ago JV gave out relative sales figures for the sims Orbx supports. Orbx FS 2 sales were a very small percentage compared to the other simulators. Apparently the return on investment in AF 2 products is not sufficient to encourage Orbx to continue producing AF 2 products.  The Navigraph survey also showed a small user base for AF 2. I haven't seen, with one exception, any of the major scenery developers providing AF 2 content. If that developer has some decent AF 2 sales it might encourage Orbx to reenter the market.

I would think Orbx has enough to do at this moment with the likes of P3D and Xplane which they seem to be concentrating on. Plus with the new Microsoft Fltsim coming, well I would thinking they are wondering about that as well. So for now maybe AF 2 is a no no. But I could be wrong. Derek.

1 hour ago, Dadtom65 said:

I would think Orbx has enough to do at this moment with the likes of P3D and Xplane which they seem to be concentrating on. Plus with the new Microsoft Fltsim coming, well I would thinking they are wondering about that as well. So for now maybe AF 2 is a no no. But I could be wrong. Derek.

Absolutely, I'm not just speaking from an Orbx perspective. I'm genuinely curious as to the thoughts of others. From sketchy reports, it is looking like even the new MSFS is going to take a beast of a machine to get half way decent performance. This is the one area where AF2 really shines but it is not just about the performance, it is a great experience in general out of the box. 

On 3/4/2020 at 1:09 PM, Donka said:

Absolutely, I'm not just speaking from an Orbx perspective. I'm genuinely curious as to the thoughts of others. From sketchy reports, it is looking like even the new MSFS is going to take a beast of a machine to get half way decent performance. This is the one area where AF2 really shines but it is not just about the performance, it is a great experience in general out of the box. 

If you are simply looking for something new, check out the new Il de france scenery, just released. Orbx finds the financial prospects unappealing, but others may or may not find that to be the case. Time will tell, I guess. In the meanwhile, I find myself at 200 fps and above in this enormous scenery; very close to the spectacular performance of Orbx Netherlands. Maybe others will be enticed to dip their toes in the water.

Archived