XP11 Library path ... can be set different from P3D ?

I'm moving all my XPlane11 scenery/files onto a different drive.  The "main library" is pointing to D:\ORBX\Library ... however that seems to be bound to both P3D and XP11... (D:\ORBX\Library\p3dv4 and D:\ORBX\Library\xp11).

I want to keep my binding path for P3D to D:\ORBX\Library\p3dv4 ... BUT, have my binding path for XP11 to E:\ORBX\Library\xp11.

Is it possible to have two different Library binding paths, one for each simulator platform?

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Jon,

I did see that in settings, but it seems that both P3D an XP11 are pointing to the same location at the higher folder level D:\ORBX\Library ... Orbx Central seems to create the sub-folders "xp11" and "p3dv4" so it appears I can't separate them out. 

Thanks, please keep me posted on any feedback from Nick.

Cheers, Rob.

13 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Hi Jon,

I did see that in settings, but it seems that both P3D an XP11 are pointing to the same location at the higher folder level D:\ORBX\Library ... Orbx Central seems to create the sub-folders "xp11" and "p3dv4" so it appears I can't separate them out. 

Thanks, please keep me posted on any feedback from Nick.

Cheers, Rob.

Are you wanting to keep the XP library on the existing Disk or move it to your new E Drive?

Hello,

one can have as many Orbx Central libraries as one wants to.

All of them will be capable of receiving files from either P3D v4 or X Plane 11

This is why all libraries will contain both a xp11 and a p3dv4 folder, to allow the choice.

I have named mine for clarity, but the name is also entirely a matter of choice.

When installing a product into P3D v4  I am presented with this choice:

1.jpg

The product is for P3D v4 and it will be installed into the p3dv4 folder in the Orbx Library that I choose.

When installing a product into X Plane 11 I am presented with this choice:

2.jpg

The product is for X Plane 11 and it will be installed into the xp11 folder in the Orbx Library that I choose.

Either library could be used for either product version but that would serve only to confuse the issue.

It is perfectly possible to just have one library and install all the P3D v4 and X Plane 11 products into that.

It is entirely a matter of customer preference.

Hello,

if your products are installed into X Plane 11\Custom Scenery, then you will need to use Orbx Central to "migrate" them into your remote library.

The file structure in the Orbx Central Library is different to that in the Custom Scenery folder, so if you just copy and paste them, Orbx Central will

not see them.

If you already have an Orbx Central Library, then there is a procedure, explained in the User Guide,

on how to move that Library.

If you do not have an Orbx Central X Plane 11 Library and have installed your products with Orbx Central

or FTX Central to the Custom Scenery folder, then there is a procedure, explained in the User Guide, on

how to migrate those products to an Orbx Central Library.

I don't think that if you have a custom library elsewhere with a custom file structure, that

Orbx Central can deal with that.

Hmmm ... I don't think the process in the User Guide is going to work for me.

Moving a library is painless with Central and can be achieved in a few steps only:

1. Go to Settings > Libraries.

2. Note the directory of the library you’d like to move.

3. Remove the library that you would like to move (remember: this doesn’t delete the actual files).

4. Close Central by right-clicking on the tray and selecting “quit”.

5. Move the directory to the new location in your operating system. This step may take a while depending on your disk speed.

6. Start Central again

7. Open Settings, and then the Libraries page

8. Press ‘Create New Library’

9. Select the new library location, give it a name and then press ‘Save’.

Central will automatically scan the library for installed products, and then configure your simulators appropriately.

image.thumb.png.207cf9cb6784be1ec5814d39e8b1e3e6.png

image.png.dc82019fece0d9015618480c1a68f5c0.png

If I remove that Library (step 3) under Xplane11 context, isn't that going to cause problems for P3D since the Main Library contains both platforms?

Cheers, Rob.

Hello,

I doubt it, presumably Orbx Central will amend the discovery path to reflect the

new location and then P3D will see the add-on.xml files as before, as it appears

to say in this text:

Central will automatically scan the library for installed products, and then configure your simulators appropriately.

Similarly, I would expect it to recreate the symbolic links to X Plane 11.

Step 3 is nothing but a random name that is given to the Orbx Central Library.

As it says, it does not affect the files and it can be changed at will.

It's a reasonably simple process and in operation the same as moving a scenery folder in P3D or FSX.

1. delete the reference to the Library in Orbx Central.

If it helps, think of it as a scenery library entry in P3D, nothing is to be changed except the path that P3D is instructed to follow.

2. Close Orbx Central and move the files to the new folder location.

3. Open Orbx Central, create a new library, give it a name of your choice and recreate the path, but pointing to the new location.

Just like a scenery library entry, it can be given any name at all, so long as the path is correct.

4. Orbx Central will do the rest for you.

Hi Nick,

I did that, but Central still showed products as not installed.  So I checked the folder path for the library I created ... it looks like Central hard codes an xp11 folder (as I suspected in my early post) that gets appended to whatever library path I define in Central.  So I moved all my original folders under xp11 path and now Central sees them as "installed".

image.thumb.png.b2e2b5ccb25a31a67e2d08d1d1f4947f.png

So you folks might want to amend your Manual on how to move the main library to another drive.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks, already suggested for the "folder not empty" error message.

The idea though is to move an existing library, 

5. Move the directory to the new location in your operating system.

not just the folders inside it.

If that guide was followed, the product files would already be inside

the xp11 (or p3dv4) folder, as installed and Orbx Central would still see them.

Hi Nick,

Per my earlier post and my question about xp11 folder being hard coded ... I think if you has said the folders xp11 and p3dv4 are "hard coded" I would have understood the movement process better.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:23 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

It got worse for me, even though the context I was under in Central was Xplane, the deletion of the main library did impact P3D.  Under P3D context I not longer have anything installed.  I will need to re-create a new library for P3D and do some renaming.

I made the assumption the libraries operated under the context I was in (P3D mode or XP11 mode) ... that appears to NOT be the case.  Anyway, I can sort this out now that I understand what's happening.

Cheers, Rob.

P3D v4 products are installed into the p3dv4 folder inside whichever library is chosen and only when Orbx Central is open in P3Dv4 mode.

X Plane 11 products are installed into the xp11 folder inside whichever library is chosen and only when Orbx Central is open in X Plane 11 mode.

Products that are available for only one of these two simulator versions will not even be visible if Orbx Central is opened in the mode for the other simulator.

I see no reason at all why you cannot migrate your P3D v4 products to the same library using Orbx Central,

unless you have already installed them in your own bespoke way outside the P3D v4 root folder.

Orbx Central can only

1. create a library

2. move a library

3. migrate products from an Orbx or FTX Central installation inside a simulator folder into a library.

User Guide:

How do they work?

Because a product installed in a library should (ideally) be immutable, Central needs to install it into its own directory, to avoid it being overwritten by other Orbx products that may change common files. This also makes it easier to manage, and to move products between libraries.

If you have multiple libraries, Central will prompt you to choose a library at the start of every product installation.

In the library directory, sub-directories will be created for the simulators that are installed. This means each library directory may contain a p3dv4, xp11 and afs2 sub-directory. Inside those simulator specific subdirectories is where the products reside in their own directories. These are called product packages.

In Prepar3D v4, each product package is a Prepar3D add-on package (with an add-on.xml file). This means that you can enable and disable Orbx products with one click using the in-sim “add-ons” menu.

Archived