TE GB - sea level elevation in PFD of default aircraft when P3D navdata updated to latest airac cycle.

Apologies for the long title, no other way to describe this...  and if this sits better in the compatibility forum please move it.

I noticed this first with the Vertx DA42; after updating  P3D navdata to latest airac cycle with fs aerodata the sea level appears too high as in the G1000 PFD screenshot attached. 

This happens with all aircraft that use P3D as the navaid database. Aircraft with a Navigraph database installed show the terrain at the normal sea level.

With TEGB turned off in Scenery Config the problem goes away, as shown. I've verified files just in case.  I've checked that I have the FSAD entries below the Orbx ones, as recommended, and the insertion point is set properly.

I attach my scenery.cfg, and would be interested in any explanation.

TEGBdisabled.jpg

TEGBenabled.jpg

scenery.cfg

Thanks for the explanation Sascha, I see now that it is not a problem with with fsaerodata, but a consequence of the Orbx fix to stop landclass bleedthrough when using photoreal imagery like TE GB. 

I don't recall this being an issue with TEGB south when it was released in it's first iteration, nor with TE Netherlands.

Attached is EHAM with and without TE Netherlands loaded.

So how do we get a default aircraft aircraft to read from the P3D database rather than the loaded scenery? 

A comment from the developer of fsaerodata on this is: "fsAerodata database has some limitations when dealing with other add-ons since the database cannot modify any data included on an add-on airport and FSX/Prepar3D does not have mechanisms to properly update the navigation data". Unlike previous versions P3DV4.5 with hotfix v2 does not allow the FSAD files to be above scenery entries, they must be placed below.

So isn't there a way around this in the scenery layering order? 

Perhaps you can use your influence with LM to see if between you both this can be resolved?

TE Netherlands disabled.jpg

TE Netherlands enabled.jpg

Hello,

The vast majority of photo scenery blocks out the background to the GPS, which

as far as I can tell is reading from the simulator, not from a database of its own.

Like this:

5.jpg

and with photo scenery disabled, like this:

4.jpg

TEGB, despite being photo scenery, has been made to show the background but the trade off is that the water everywhere is shown.

I wonder if the same is happening under TENL but that as one expects there to be a great deal of water, it seems unremarkable?

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I wonder if the same is happening under TENL

Hi Nick,

Well from what I've seen the evidence is that it is not... the two screenshots for EHAM are the same with regard to sea level height, and as I said I don't think this happened with the original TEGB south - maybe someone who still has it installed can check at EGTE and compare. You are right that it is reading from the simulator and I guess that is because the water layer is taking a higher precedence than the land maybe?

I don't have other photoreal installed, but the images you show demonstrate a real problem worth solving by some clever developer. 

Archived