orbx doesn’t recognise backup files

Hi Guys,

I had to reinstall p3dv4.5 also orbx central.

I could install everything from my backups except south great britan . The app start to download again :((( 

Do you have any solution for this?

Thanks your help. 

Attila

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  

Simulator:  

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

Please, Nick...help me understand this. Are you saying that every product that has been updated since the initial install with ORBX Central will have to be completely re-downloaded on a subsequent re-install? Does that mean that ORBX Central in incapable of also reinstalling the incremental updates? It that's true, it's a real bandwidth killer. I thought the whole purpose of the backups was too avoid the bandwidth issue(s)..........Doug

Hello Doug.

To be honest, I think that unless it is intended to constantly uninstall and reinstall,

something that some customers do seem to do all the time, while others install once

and then just use the products, then a massive store of backups is entirely unnecessary.

I am also well aware that some customers insist on downloading the manual installation files

and then using FTX or Orbx Central to install, thus doubling the workload, for no particular purpose.

I am also aware that some customers resort to a complete re-install of either a product or sometimes

the entire library or even the entire simulator, rather than research a tiny problem and find out how to fix it.

Orbx Direct is "cloud based" and so far, the number of downloads is unlimited, which I understand to

mean that there is no need at all to amass a vast collection of either manual downloads or backup

files because they are all available online and all the time.

I realise that there are those who have not yet understood the concept or feel that they cannot trust

anything but a local copy on a hard drive.

The most reliable backup is a fully working installation, followed by a disc image or copy of it onto a backup drive.

This applies to all software across the board and rules out the errors that can creep back in when an installer is run

and the same mistake made, either by it or by its user, resulting in an apparently insoluble problem that is of course

just a repeated and undetected error.

Thanks Nick. I guess I'm just old school. But, I spent many years as a CDRP (Certified Disaster Recovery Planner) and, believe me, the lack of local backups is just inviting trouble. As you know, there are many reasons why a cloud-based solution may not be available when needed or may not perform as required. Anyway, at least I now know how Central handles "update" re-installs...Doug

On 1/21/2020 at 11:43 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

the lack of an exact comparison between the manifest stored and the manifest online will prompt a

download of the whole product, or so I have been told.

Did it look to be downloading the whole product or just a part?

Looks like the whole product 

Archived